• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What kind of crate do you have your pup for those who use them.

luvhavinbgtwins

Sorry about all the questions...I am using a pet taxi...it was cheap and I could use if as I go also...the problem I am having is the potty training is good but he is going in his crate...overnight and sometimes even when I have to run errands even for 2 hours...am I letting him out to often during the day where he is having problem holding it...I let him out late and my hubby lets him out very early in the am and I let him out 2 to 3 hours after that then maybe every hour or so during the day so there wont be a mess...I mean when he has to go he is going to the door.....

I am washing towels like crazy!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all your help

do you have pads or towels in the crate? If you do try taking them out. To this day I cannot have any kind of pad in the crate with my 17 month old Bentley which includes scatter rugs. He goes on them. He sleeps in the crate and if there is nothing in there no problem but if I put a pad then he goes. Pads and towels absorb it where if there is nothing they can really step in it etc. which they don't like.

If there is no padding in the crate and he is going then I would get up in the middle of the night and take him out. Thats what I have always done. There is some formula for their age on how long they can hold it but unfortunately I don't remember it.

Last edited:
not really should I take the water away at a certain time??????

How do you get them out to go out and be done LOL!!!

I just let him out he is done but just want to go back to the door every 20 min....do I ignore put him in his crate cuz he will not listen.....I tell you want I love him...but he is tiring me out LOL!!!!

No paper or pads...I dont like them...my last dog would go on our sunday paper LOL so none of that....we do put a towl so he can be comfy...maybe I should take that out.....he goes down at about 10pm and he is taken out at 4am and then at 7 am

I think they say there months plus 1 that is how long they can hold it..should that be during the day also tho??????

I feel all I am doing to letting him outside all day....its been 10 years since I had to do this before and I dont remember all this....it seems my twins where easier to a point LOL!!!!

If I do remove the towel do you think it would be ok to put back in when he is older and trained???

Thanks

I'd take the towel out. Its absorbing it. Worth a try. LIke I said with my Bentley I still can't have any padding in the crate but he's the only adult dog that I've ever had that way. In regards to scatter rugs my shih tzu goes on them at times also. I've heard of it with others too--I think Brotymo's dogs do it. Also, neither of them were trained on potty pads so I don't get it.

I know how I've always done it is stand outside and depending on the dog--some go right away and some you talk to the birds for 20-30 minutes before they go and when they do go my neighbors can hear me yelling in joy at them with praise--lol. It doesn't take long before they start to catch on and you aren't talking to birds as long. lol. Seems like when you start praising them and by nature they want to please you. Seems like about a week of talking to the birds longer with only one dog. With other dogs its easier as they follow the others.

Like others say they should not have an accident. You can't leave them for a second. If you leave them then crate them.

Also, in the crate don't have alot of room. If he still pees when you take the towel out you might have to have where he just has enough room to practically lay down so if he pees or poos he'll be laying in it. Not many dogs like that although my shih tzu didn't care--I'd come home to poo in his toes--ugggghhhh. memories. lol.

Thank you he does go right away but I think he just likes to be outside alot...

Should I wait longer to take him out than every hour now if not when....I praise alot and it seems like he gets it good....should he be holding it thru out the day for a few hours aleast..it just seems like I am taking him out alot....most of the time he goes but sometimes I think it cuz he just wants out and yes he will go but it will be only a very small bit...

also if I have to make his crate smaller how could I do that w/a pet taxi type thing I got from walmart...

Thanks so much....

yes he is never out of my sight....I dont want to stand in a puddle at anytime LOL!

When do you feel he can wonder a little more w/out being watched?

not really should I take the water away at a certain time??????

How do you get them out to go out and be done LOL!!!

I just let him out he is done but just want to go back to the door every 20 min....do I ignore put him in his crate cuz he will not listen.....I tell you want I love him...but he is tiring me out LOL!!!!

I take the water up around 8:30 to 9 pm. It allows Anna and Teddy before her enough time to get a drink and quench her thirst, but when I take her out before final lights out at say 11 or so she won't have to go again in the night.

No paper or pads...I dont like them...my last dog would go on our sunday paper LOL so none of that....we do put a towl so he can be comfy...maybe I should take that out.....he goes down at about 10pm and he is taken out at 4am and then at 7 am

I think they say there months plus 1 that is how long they can hold it..should that be during the day also tho??????

I feel all I am doing to letting him outside all day....its been 10 years since I had to do this before and I dont remember all this....it seems my twins where easier to a point LOL!!!!

If I do remove the towel do you think it would be ok to put back in when he is older and trained???

Thanks

I am able to keep a pad in the bottom of her crate, but it seems like if there is a towel she will go on it. It partly has to do with how the breeder kept them. If your breeder kept them on towels, they think towels are where they need to go. Likewise with paper. If you are concerned about comfort. Try getting an old piece of carpet and cut it to fit the bottom. He should know not to go on the carpet and that means no going in his crate.

When do you feel he can wonder a little more w/out being watched?

After he has gone and you know he isn't going to have to go again, ie he just went #1 and #2, sit in a room and let him roam around and play.

Also the rule of thumb is every month is 1 hr of being able to hold it. Don't take him out every hour unless he has to go, even though it is good to be able to go outside and praised, he needs to also learn to hold it.

Thank you so much but one more ? do you leave your water out when they where young all the time?? We where out playing and he went pee and yes he had some water to drink cuz we were practiceing an its warm out....but he came inside and ran around where I could see him but I think he is a puppy he is still going to have accidents well he squated (sp?) and went on the carpet....I grabed him and put him out and he did #2......but this was all w/in a hour....he sometimes hold it for an hour or so some times less....I want to be able to hold it for atleast 3 hours...I know he can hold it for more he has a handful of times....but he wants to still go out....do I put him in his crate to some how train him to hold it more...no matter how early or long he will still go pee when I let him out...

Thank you so much but one more ? do you leave your water out when they where young all the time?? We where out playing and he went pee and yes he had some water to drink cuz we were practiceing an its warm out....but he came inside and ran around where I could see him but I think he is a puppy he is still going to have accidents well he squated (sp?) and went on the carpet....I grabed him and put him out and he did #2......but this was all w/in a hour....he sometimes hold it for an hour or so some times less....I want to be able to hold it for atleast 3 hours...I know he can hold it for more he has a handful of times....but he wants to still go out....do I put him in his crate to some how train him to hold it more...no matter how early or long he will still go pee when I let him out...

What you want to do is let him go outside. If he goes and then decides he needs to play, don't let him back in till he has had another chance to go because often times a pup needs to potty after 1) play 2)sleep 3)held it for a while.

give him a chance to go before he comes back in. If you are sure he can't get out of your backyard let him run around outside until he comes to the door and is all tuckered out. let him get a sip to drink and play with him for a bit, let him go potty then back into the crate for a rest. (y)

You could also limit how much water he gets at any given time say only leaving half a cup in the bowl at a time. Also look for his signs... Anna's for example are snout down and tail goes up like a flag.

PS Anna is 9 weeks old thursday. So i'm going through the same as you.

Last edited:
Puppies are pee and poop machines. Whoever told you the "# of months + 1" is as long as they can hold is feeding you a big line. If the puppy is 8 wks old, he can maybe hold it for 2 hours or so, more at night. However, when Ollie was 12 weeks old, I still had to take him out *every hour* or he would pee inside...at night I would still have to take him out once until he was 4 months old.

By the time they're 6 months old, then they can hold it for several hours (like 3-4).

Potty-training a dog is HARD WORK...especially with kids! After you let him out and you know for a fact he didn't do anything, I would put him back in his crate for 15 mins or so and then try again.

Thank you...yes it is alot of hard work but I know it will all be worth it for sure....the last time I had to PT a pup I didnt have kids so I think it was easier...now it feels I dont have time to sit....let the dog out again and again then the kids need somthing....:) its all worth it but so very tireing (sp?)

Yes, pups are peeing and pooing machines. Our Abigail would get us up at 4:30AM until several months old. Then her routine changed to 6AM.

Our breeder had us get 2 crates. Abigail was and still is small. Her first crate was an extra small (we now use it in the car). I didn't believe breeder but she said to put a puppy pad in crate. Abigail never has gone on it from the time we got her at 10 weeks.

Only now at almost 10 months do I halfway trust her in the house. I still keep a close eye on her and only let her have a few drops of water in evening around 8.

I think thant you are very brave and doing well with your pup and family! We got our first dog when our youngest was around 10.

Heather R

Back