• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Merlin has benign prostatic hypertrophy

merlinsmum

But its not bad news.... we have some tablets that will reduce the size of the gland in a week :) and then we go for a check up in six months. I'm just relieved its not spongy/lumpy or mishapen which would have been worse. Of course I'm still worried but at least we caught it early (due to the colitis he had last month - thank goodness for poop! tells a whole range of things...:p)

oh, poor Merlin. I've never heard of what he has. Being on this board has taught me a LOT (and scared the heck outa me at times).

So sorry to hear this Kirsty - thank goodness it's not going to be too much of a problem and that you've found it early.

Hugs for you and for Merlin, wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hope Merlin will be feeling better soon!

As Dr Z notes, this is one of the reasons vets advocate neutering. Most male dogs will eventually have some incidence of this problem if not neutered. Just a consideration for those with intact males.

Male Dogs

Testicular neoplasia is the second most common tumour in the male dog. As well as preventing this, early neutering also prevents prostatic disease (benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatitis/prostatic abscesses, prostatic cysts and paraprostatic cysts). Prostatic hyperplasia starts at 1-2 years of age with 95% of dogs affected by 9 years of age.

Hyperplasia and hypertrophy refer to the same thing with this condition.

Thanks everyone for your concern :) Merlin is an intact male, we will neuter if required, I just rather not put him under aneasthetic unless I really have too.

He's alright, its not making him miserable, in fact he's quite happy because we also need to get more fluid down him as his wee is a bit strong so he's getting ice cream :) (lactose/cholesterol/gluten free ice cream)

Back