• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

For those having house-breaking trouble...

brotymo

I just was perusing the net and found this info on house training toy breeds. It touches on a cause of the problem I am not sure anyone has mentioned on here, but makes PERFECT SENSE and is easy to remedy. It might help a great deal and can't hurt. I will remember it in the future when housebreaking any future puppies.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/toybreedswordsout.htm

That makes a lot of sense - it's never occurred to me to pick up a pup to take them outside though (unless I caught them in the act). When I read about the problems some people have I think my breeder must be due a lot of the credit because Max didn't take much longer to train than our Golden did. Mindy was a bit harder but she was 8 months when we got her and supposedly trained for a dog door which we didn't have.

That makes a lot of sense - it's never occurred to me to pick up a pup to take them outside though (unless I caught them in the act). When I read about the problems some people have I think my breeder must be due a lot of the credit because Max didn't take much longer to train than our Golden did. Mindy was a bit harder but she was 8 months when we got her and supposedly trained for a dog door which we didn't have.
I think I probably picked mine up a lot in the beginning because to go outside at my house the puppies have about 8 steps to go down off our back porch to the yard. When they are really small they just can't make them. I know I will try harder in the future if I live here and get a new pup to teach them to go down the steps as soon as possible to limit carrying them to the yard to as short a time as possible.

To summarize the article, it points out that you shouldn't carry the pup to the door or yard, but clip on a leash and walk them. It says that walking TO the spot is part of the process being learned, so don't eliminate it by scooping up the puppy and carrying them to the door or to the spot in the yard.

That is kinda funny because I believe Dr. Ian's website says to carry them because it helps to move their bladder around. So they are ready to go when you set them down.

That is kinda funny because I believe Dr. Ian's website says to carry them because it helps to move their bladder around. So they are ready to go when you set them down.

Move the bladder around? IThat logic sounds as archaic as my ex-husband's grandmother's logic that you should put urine in your ear for an earache!
That seems counter to logic. I have found motoring walking usually gets the bowels and bladder going...in fact the challenge is getting them out the door before they squat! Even from a human perspective, when you really have gotta go, walking isn't always comfortable since it seems to increase the urgency.

I searched for his instructions and this is what I found. It says "take" not carry, so I am assuming he means walk on leash since he mentions a leash. Here is the sentence:
For the first few weeks, take your puppy outside on-leash. Hurry to his toilet area and then stand still to allow the puppy to circle (as he would normally do before eliminating).

Last edited:
I think I probably picked mine up a lot in the beginning because to go outside at my house the puppies have about 8 steps to go down off our back porch to the yard. When they are really small they just can't make them. I know I will try harder in the future if I live here and get a new pup to teach them to go down the steps as soon as possible to limit carrying them to the yard to as short a time as possible.

No please don't let a small puppy go up and down steps - they shouldn't be going up and down flights of steps and stairs until they are at least 6 months as it puts too much strain on their developing joints.

You could carry them down the steps and then put them on the ground on the leash.

That logic sounds as archaic as my ex-husband's grandmother's logic that you should put urine in your ear for an earache!

That's just lovely (not!) :grnyuk:

For as long as I can remember, I have known/been told to walk a dog to the door etc. because it teaches them the motions of getting up off their bums and going to the toilet. And, as brotymo also said, it get's the innards going so they tend to go sooner as opposed to mooching around the garden for ages before going.

Back