• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone try and keep there cavs off there furniture???

luvhavinbgtwins

We are trying due to my son has allergies and Rex is not allowed upstairs and we try not on furniture also..boy his he a little snot :D he will run around and when he thinks you are not looking he runs and trys to get all comfy...you should see his little face...I cant beleive he can even jump that high in the first place but he will run jump up and down...and I dont want him to hurt himself that is another reason.....our last dog we let up and he just made a mess of our couch...I want to get a new one w/in the next year after rex is Potty trained and thru the puppy stage....

Does does what ever he can to try and get up there....:lol:

you've got to nip it in the bud now if you don't want him on the furniture, but remember they are a third cat and a third frog, so they love to walk around on the backs of furniture and somehow can jump that high in the first place :eek:.

Make sure he stays down off the couches or you'll have trouble down the line.

Well i have no probs with them on the furniture.Unless he is covered in fox poos.Unless you close every door its going to happen.Cavs LOVE being warm and cosy,thats their nature i afraid.

Unless he is covered in fox poos
:lol:

Mine are welcome on furniture and really -- why get a lapdog and couch fiend breed of dog like a cavalier if you aren't going to enjoy that lovely image of beautiful cavaliers draped on a sofa or armchair? I love seeing mine at rest this way! :) However, it isn't that hard to train a dog to wait until asked to go onto furniture, but the problem is that most people expect the dog to know to do this in the first place (of course they don't), or want the dog to be able to do this after a day of some half-attempts at training.

Training always takes time and commitment, and daily practice and consistency. An issue is that as most people spend their entire dog's puppyhood encouraging many behaviours that are cute in a youngster but find are not so cute in an adult (barking, wrestling, playing rough, climbing on furniture, jumping up, etc) they tend to have a much greater challenge in then trying to break habits they once ignored/allowed/encouraged for a very long time. So that tends to slow training and frustrate people too. And if all family members aren't dong the same training approach and applying the same rules, the pup/dog will constantly seem to backslide but that is only because it never is taught, consistently, what it needs to do. Kids are often the weakest link here, but it can be a spouse!

Hence I will again enthusiatically recommend any and every puppy (and dog!) owner to download the free copy of Dr Ian Dunbar's book 'After you get your Puppy', on www.dogstardaily.com. Training consistently and kindly from the day you get your puppy/dog is what produces the adult dog you want. Some behaviours will be very hard to break once they've been allowed for months and months (but it is never too late to start! It is just not as easy).

Also management is better than just wishing a problem weren't there-- if you don't want a dog up on sofas, for example, simply babygate off that room or close the door. Limiting access is far easier than training and can be done in conjunction with training. (y)

I'm afraid mine also are allowed on the furniture. Their favorite place is either in my lap or on the top of my chair draped around my neck. We do make them get down if we are eating in there by using the command "OFF". This took some time and patience but it works. We would just give a calm but firm "OFF" and then gently place them back on the floor. Also Karlin is so right about Ian Dunbar's material. I have downloaded a couple of books and even some of the videos and they are fantastic. He is so calm and his methods are more effective that any I have seen. Good luck.

Ilsa is allowed anywhere in our home, I always say it is her home too! But we have a great deal of trouble when invited out (and Ilsa is usually invited being so beautiful and sweet) and they tell me she can't go on their furniture, she has no conception of not being allowed anywhere she wants. Usually if I am told that we leave and never return to that house! She needs to be next to me all of the time.

Jen and Ilsa

Thanks , I have downloaded his book and trying to read a little everyday....as far as blocking him out of the room, we have a very open floor plan and no baby gate would even reach..there are 4 room open and the only thing inbetween is the stairs to go upstairs...I do love to have him up on the couch the only thing is my sons allergies...and the hair....I do vacuum and sweep everyday almost..he is good so far..just dont know I do love to cuddle but we have been on the floor doing the cuddle so yes we have been spending alot of time on the floor :D

Hi,
We let Leo on the furniture. Its why we got a cav so we could all cuddle up!:p
But we dont have the problems of allergies. You could buy a throw and get your little one to only sit on that part, then its washable.

We actually bought new sofas just last week and so many people said "Are you going to still let Leo on the furniture"

Leo of course was one of the first to jump up and make himself comfy when it arrived:-D

I also allow my two on the couch, but I have a large quilt I fold and keep on the couch so I can easily wash it when needed. They would be heartbroken :cry*ing: if we didn't allow them to snuggle on the couch with us- it is one their favorite things to do.

When we got Mindy the plan was that she wouldn't be allowed on the furniture since we had successfully trained our Retriever to stay off. Mindy was 8 months old when she came to us and she had other ideas. My resolve my have lasted for two days! I guess she trained me. She was the ultimate in lap dogs - she always wanted to be in a lap - mine if it was available but really anyone's would do. I started sitting on the floor so she could be on my lap there but she preferred the sofa! Now I sit on the floor with Max - not so much because I don't want him on the furniture but because he often sees Mindy lying on the sofa as an invitation to chew on her ears so I try and distract him by playing ball.

Maybe try training your Cav to only jump on certain furniture which your son doesn't use - a special chair where you can cuddle or something.

just dont know I do love to cuddle but we have been on the floor doing the cuddle so yes we have been spending alot of time on the floor :D

Thank goodness he still gets his cuddles. :lotsaluv: I have allergies too but my dogs would sulk if they were not allowed on the sofa ... like Karlin said, they're lap dogs, it's sort of what they were bred to do, so I'm sure it will be a challenge to train against nature.

Hopefully you have some comfy cushions on the floor for the floor cuddles. :D

I love it when hes on the couch with me,sooooo warm i allways fall asleep,esp.when its winter and the fire is on.I LOVE IT.

I know I used to fall asleep w/my last dog plus when I was on bedrest for over 2 months w/the twins he would just lay and sleep w/me...

Well today he has been on the couch awhile..I thru my back out last night and I just got up a few times to remove him but I just couldnt do it again...I dont know what to do we only have one pc in this room one long round couch...so its hard to keep him off..maybe I would or could get a throw to put there....I do just love to cuddle we cuddle so much he always falls asleep on me..I just love that..:l*v:

can you set up a place that is as tall as the sofa with a cozy pillow on top so he can get up there and still feel like he is part of the crowd. sometimes I think they like being on eye level. we did this with the crate on a night stand for awhile and it worked well

Well, Alice is allowed on the furniture, when our cat Jonas is laying on the back of the couch she will even get up there! Alice thinks she's a cat, Jonas has been her best friend since we brought her home at 6 weeks. We used to have a boxer years ago who was not allowed of the furniture due to her shedding, boxers have the worst short little hair that sticks into the fabric... We did always have a comfy dog bed for the boxer though, she loved to lay in it. (If you live near one & have a membership, Costco has the best prices on dog beds!) Currently we have an Irish Setter and a Goldendoodle who think our love seat belongs to them, when we have guests over sitting on the love seat the Irish Setter paces around not knowing why these people are in "her" seat! :D

I think with allergies it helps to vacuum the furniture often or get leather furniture. :v*cuum:

Tawna

Hmmm, in our house its the opposite, owners have to sit on the floor;),
our doglets disappear into the sittingroom straight after dinner, so while Im loading up the dishwasher, they all bail in and hop up onto the sofa, so when we get to go in to sit down with a cup of tea, all chairs are takenicon_whistling

playtime550.jpg

Last edited:
oh amanda L your pics made me lol-thank you for sharing!!
LHBGtwins i read somewhere recently that a cavalier will always have the best chair in the house:D(might have been on here)& on an old thread was a comment-thats why they call it 'fur'niture!
the rule i set when i got rubes was she wasnt to sleep on my bed,that lasted one night,& we used to jostle for space on 'my' chair but i lost! the only time she's in her bed is when i bring my meal thro& say to her-on you go then-she's back the second the last mouthful is gone! little monkey!
like ilsamom the only time it matters is if we go elsewhere,in a cafe she sits up on my lap looking down on the dogs lying asleep at their owners feet!
i also have throws on my chair. Its such a shame your son is allergic but theres some good ideas on here for compromising:)

While not having allergies; I don't want our Abigail to think that getting on furniture is a good idea. Since she is still small (12 Lbs.) I invite her to sit on my lap or on a padded throw I have. After 2 tries of jumping up and being rebuffed; she hasn't tried again. Also I got her an extra crate pad and put it next to chair where I sit when not on sofa. She seems to like that spot even better than my lap. My pup is growing up:eek:

Heather R

mine spend more time on the couch than the accent pillows do.
They think my bed is theirs and Bandit will get up on the kitchen table in a skinny minute if you don't push the chairs all the way up under the table.
Thank goodness for leather sofas!

Back