• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone have there Cav's hair cut?

luvhavinbgtwins

If so how and do you have pics....

My friend has one and cuts them short.....I do see I need to trim his paws the underneath is getting long..I have never seen a puppy/dog have hair under there paws like this....

If you do have them cut how often and when/what age did you start...I have a coupon for his 1st visit free bath and brush and 5o% haircut so I was waiting to do the bath now that he has all his shots etc and before it expires...but I am not sure on the cut.....if he did it would only be at this moment the paws and the butt LOL!

I think their coats are so lovely, I wouldn't touch mine with scissors. There would have to be a health reason for me to do it.
Additionally, since I am showing Bandit and Lizzie, it is a serious fault if their coats are trimmed in any way. They are supposed to be natural.
I understand this probably isn't practical for everyone, but I have found that just a couple minutes a day to brush the areas that tend to mat is all they need between baths. It can be done in the length of time it takes you to brush your teeth.

I think their coats are so lovely, I wouldn't touch mine with scissors. There would have to be a health reason for me to do it.
Additionally, since I am showing Bandit and Lizzie, it is a serious fault if their coats are trimmed in any way. They are supposed to be natural.
I understand this probably isn't practical for everyone, but I have found that just a couple minutes a day to brush the areas that tend to mat is all they need between baths. It can be done in the length of time it takes you to brush your teeth.

I'm with brotymo, btw what does that mean, I use Isle of Dogs shampoo and conditioner. ITS AMAZING. They will smell so nice, its expensive but can be diluted. I go 5:1 vs the 10:1 it says on the bottle. Anna's coat is nice and shiney and smooth. I would only cut the paws if they tend to get things caught in them. Teddy, may he rest in peace, had to be given cuts because of his epilepsy. I'd typically do a puppy cut and he always looked good, the only thing is that any extra weight REALLY shows. I would only cut in the summer if you have to.

Plus a good deshedding comb does wonders to help keep the coat nice and clean plus there isn't nearly as much shedding going on. I wouldn't deshed if you don't know how because their coats can end up looking patchy. It might actually help with your son's allergys if you deshed say once a week. Cut down on vacuuming. Get a groomer to teach you how to use it though.

Leave the feathering though and the ears because they ALWAYS look amazing!

I keep Archie trimmed,becos we have 2 acres here and he loves the back field,and rolling.

If you trim their coats you risk changing them forever. Most show breeders say shaving/trimming causes coats to become curly and cottony. If your reasons for trimming them outweigh appearance, then obviously it is the owner's choice. But this is not a great breed for people who need a short-coated dog of course.

People on these boards seem to hate the idea of a coat trim! Mine is a tricolor and his black fur makes him really hot in the summer so I shave him 5ish months of the year. He is neutered and his coat changed a bit after the neuter, but did not seem to change from shaving/trimming. If you don't have a show dog, whatever makes your dog most comfortable would be the best choice IMO. That being said I am still vain and leave the ears and feathers :) Sometimes people even mistake my 12yo for a puppy when he is short furred!

People on these boards seem to hate the idea of a coat trim!...
...If you don't have a show dog, whatever makes your dog most comfortable would be the best choice IMO.

I think you'll find that's because many of us are living in colder climes.

I'm with brotymo, btw what does that mean, I use Isle of Dogs shampoo and conditioner. ITS AMAZING. They will smell so nice, its expensive but can be diluted. I go 5:1 vs the 10:1 it says on the bottle. Anna's coat is nice and shiney and smooth.

Isle of Dogs IS fantastic! On the recommendations of some more experienced show people and the Isle of Dogs rep I spoke with at a show, I use the number 10 on their body, the number 20 on feathering (it has less conditioners and leaves the hair fuller) and the number 51 conditioner on the body to relax the wave and curl and belly (well conditioned fur as opposed to dry (which is absorbant) is supposed to reduce the amount of staining that the coat absorbs and Bandit pees on his belly all the time!)
I love the way it smells and it leaves them SOOO shiny and soft. They always get compliments on the texture of their coat and it's shine.

I take mine to the groomers but have never had them clip off all thier fur. I just have them tidied up a little, feet done and a tiny bit off the leg feathers chest ruffles thined out also under thier bottoms taken shorter too. I do this because of the walks they go on which are fields. If I didnt have them trimmed allsorts would get caught up in it. Which did happen to my Dotty when she first came to live with me aged almost two. She got a horsechestnut spiky shell stuck in her fur on a weekend walk. I had to carry her over a mile back to the car good job she was a feather weight.
I like my two too look like the breed they are and my groomer is excellent at grooming them the way I want them to look.

I just have them tidied up a little, feet done and a tiny bit off the leg feathers chest ruffles thined out also under thier bottoms taken shorter too

On the girls, I take some feathering off hindquarters as otherwise they drag their skirts in their urine and get smelly very quickly. I also take a small amount of length off the hair on Leo's chest where he can sometimes pee on it.

Jaspar of course is perfect and never ever pees on himself or steps in poop. ;)

Other than that I don't cut their coats.

Hi

Definately groomers for me approx 8-10 weeks ,I would be scared stiff going anywhere near them with scissors ,though I do thin their coats a bit in the summer.
I keep on reading aout Isle Of Dogs Shampoo and how good it is ,does anybody know if you can get it in th UK.

Thank you....I am not sure if I do want to get him cut...I just love the look they have..the only thing w/his paws he steps in his poo everytime and since his hair is getting long under them (between the toes) and I just wondered if you all did on the back end....I just want him to stay cool..it can get real hot or should I say humid here in Missouri but I really dont want it all cut...maybe trimmed...

I keep Dixie's underpaws trimmed. I trim all the fur between her pads and toes. She does agility, and the long hair would make it slippery for her. I also trim some of the long fun on her hindquarters. She doesn't mind me trimming her at all. I think she likes it......:grin: Judy and Dixie

The only thing I trim on my 2 is the hair between the pads on the bottom of their feet. I trim this hair about every 2 months...Truman's under-foot hair grows soooo fast! I have to be careful not to cut off their slippers though! I never trim the rest of the with scissors, except to help get a mat out if I can't brush it out. I just try to keep up with their brushing.

I love the look of the Cavalier's coat and I feel like a big trim would change that so much, so for me, it's worth it to put the time in to groom them. I also wouldn't trust anyone else to groom them after the horror stories I've read on this board! I would freak out if I picked up my boys and they were shaved! I understand trimming them if they are running around outside and constantly getting stuff in their coat, or you just don't have the time to groom them, or just trimming certain areas (like areas they pee on), but I just like to leave mine as natural as possible, I think they're the prettiest that way :)

I have been clipping Tyler for years in the summer ..since we spend most of the time out side and in the pool which he loves !! I just feel so bad for him ..I wouldnt want to wear a fur coat in summer .......Tyler is about 21 lbs and his MVD so i didnt want him to over heat....I must say though his coat is not as luxurious as most of your dogs ...I think its because of getting him clipped so short for so many years ....when he gets his fur back for the winter he is like a giant puff ball!!!!!

I just had Annie, black and tan, clipped short for summer. Hardly recognize her-the groomer couldn't believe what emerged when all the hair was off. Hated to do it, she was so beautiful with her coat-to me almost perfect. Did it because of age, she'll be 9 in Sept., the heat and humidity to come, the 1+MVD and because she is difficult to evaluate for heat stress. Older dogs don't do heat and humidity well around here, there have been some deaths.
The other 2 get paws,ears (around opening) and sanitary clips and they're good to go :).

On the girls, I take some feathering off hindquarters as otherwise they drag their skirts in their urine and get smelly very quickly.

This is exactly what I do for Ginger for the same reason - although I did get her cut quite short in the last groom and she was a different dog after it...like a weight had been lifted! Very strange.

Back