• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Odd behaviour? :-(

Emma n Renco

Hi,

I am worried about Harvey (2.5 years old) - he's been quite spooked for the last few days and will not go for a proper walk - his tail is between his legs he's nervous near the parked cars and strains very hard to get back to the house. Bella seems fine (our other cav - 8 years old) and Harvey hasn't been attacked by any dogs or had a big fright - it all seems very bizarre. He is also spooked in the house and nervously walks around growling.

The other behaviour is that he's started being aroused regularly in the house and sits there panting and aroused, but this has only started in the last few days as well. We had him castrated 18 months ago and I am confused as to why this would start now. Our oter cav Bella is also sterilised and so no longer in heat, which also adds to my confusion. Is it possible that they are 'doing it'? Do they do that just for fun like humans? (sorry but I hate realising that my fur babies aren't really just fur babies and are in fact animals) haha..

I appreciate your advice everyone.. thank you Emma

I think you need to talk to your vet about this and have him checked for any illness or pain that might be causing the behaviour.

A castrated dog can still sense a female in heat so there's a possibility you have a female in heat somewhere within a mile or two (problem is they can sense this over huge distances). Most castrated males aren't too bothered but some are.

He'd be unlikely to be interested in a spayed female -- sometimes you get humping behaviour amongst dogs but not a full attempt at mating between neutered dogs.

But this wouldn't be related to why he is showing so much fear at going outside.

If a vet cannot supply an answer you could try talking to a good trainer who might be able to figure out if this is behavioural and what is causing it.

Hi Karlin,

Thank you for the advise, I will make an appointment for him to see the vet. It's all just so strange, I hadn't thought of the fact another dog in the area may be in heat - I only thought about Bella which is why I was confused.

Thanks again.

Emma

Hi

And sorry to alter the subject a bit ,at work we have 8 lady cats who are all spayed but theres 2 local black and white tom cats who come calling and apart from pinching all the food we part one of our long haired black cats ,our Fluffy ,has lost a lot of hair could it be the toms are still interested in them and are trying to get a grip :confused: ,they are all unsettled when one is around.:(

Hi, I wonder if he is in physical discomfort and that is making him uncomfortable on walks. His pain may be confusing him and making him nervous. It might also explain the arousal symptoms, which might not be arousal at all.
As Karlin suggested, I'd promptly get him to a vet.
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Back