• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Happy 16th birthday PJ!

brotymo

I just wanted to say that Bandit's great-great-great-grandmother and Lizzie's great grandmother PJ (CH Excalibur Pearl Jam ROM)
(you can see her here: http://www.ackcsc.org/awards/pearl.html )
celebrated her 16th birthday earlier this month (she was born April 14, 1993)! I am happy to have such long lived foundation stock in my puppies bloodline. She didn't show any murmur until age 9, it hasn't ever progressed beyond a grade 1, and she doesn't even have to take meds for it.
I hope I can be celebrating a birthday like that one with Bandit and Lizzie one day!

Oh, wow, wow, that is certainly something to CELEBRATE.. Great genes. :*nana:

Oh, wow, wow, that is certainly something to CELEBRATE.. Great genes. :*nana:

yes, she is quite the old queen at the breeders house. She gets a specially prepared fresh cooked meal each day. At her age, she deserves it!

look at that line breeding. both of the sires parents have the same father :(

The dogs you are referring to were bred in the 1980's. I imagine you see much more line breeding done back then than you do since the rise of SM.

Line breeding can produce great things. I certainly think that PJ can attest to that. Harry of Kindrum (the sire in question on both sides) lived to be 14 and his son (the grandsire, Alberto of Kindrum) lived to be 15. From what I have learned, there seem to be a number of long lived dogs from the Kindrum line.

Last edited:
That is sometime to celebrate,:hppybdy:pJ, Jasper has the Kindrum line in his family, Alberto of Kindrum is his Gt Gt Grandfather who I have read was a widely used stud dog in the 1980`s.

Wow, happy 16th birthday! It's great to have such long-living dogs behind your dogs :) My breeder also has several that have lived to 16, and even one that lived to be 18! I have heard of others that lived to be 16 before, but not many...and I know that is very old for a Cavalier! I hope you are able to celebrate Bandit and Lizzie's 16th birthdays too!

The dogs you are referring to were bred in the 1980's. I imagine you see much more line breeding done back then than you do since the rise of SM.

Line breeding can produce great things. I certainly think that PJ can attest to that. Harry of Kindrum (the sire in question on both sides) lived to be 14 and his son (the grandsire, Alberto of Kindrum) lived to be 15. From what I have learned, there seem to be a number of long lived dogs from the Kindrum line.

I wasn't in any way trying to put down your pups pedigree. It was just that when I looked up the site that you linked that was the first thing that came to mind. You are right, line breeding CAN produce good things, but now it has gotten out of hand today. At least the results have.

The most important thing is that this line DOES have a long life span which is extremely good. :) I hope I didn't turn you away in any way. I just don't like line breeding.

Thats a great age all i can say is when i got harley i saw his mum and dad both two years old, and his great great grandfather who was 15 and wasnt ailing much at all, seemed very active. di

Congratulations on such a long lived cavalier.

The American Cavalier National was held on Cape Cod this week and I was able to attend part of it. One entrant showed her 15 year old tri color in the obedience class. I couldn't tell how old the dog was because it was as energetic as all the other cavaliers.

Heather R

That is SO awesome!! I had never seen a cavalier older than mine until I got Irie. It was the most heartwarming thing to see! I can only hope that mine live such a long life! Here's to many more like PJ!:rah:

Congratulations on such a long lived cavalier.

The American Cavalier National was held on Cape Cod this week and I was able to attend part of it. One entrant showed her 15 year old tri color in the obedience class. I couldn't tell how old the dog was because it was as energetic as all the other cavaliers.

Heather R

I wish I could have gone. Bandit and Lizzie's breeder was there with 3 or 4 dogs. She showed a few of her dogs in the puppy sweepstakes and regular classes. She had entered Lizzie to go with her dad for best stud dog, but decided against taking her and took Lizzie's blenheim sister instead (judge has a preference for blenheims). Probably was a good thing since Lizzie has been in standing heat since Monday (and her heat cycle started a couple weeks ago).

Back