• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do Blenheims "smell" more than other colors?

chloe92us

I've found that my B/T and Tri can go *months* without a bath and never smell like a dog! On the other hand, Winston and both Blen fosters I've had smell like a dog in a few weeks? Is this the case or am I imagining this?

All dogs vary as individuals. Fosters often have longer term odours from the environment they have been kept in. Also I have always found that I notice 'my' dogs don't seem to smell at all while other people's dogs do! :lol: I think it is mostly that you know the smells of your own dogs and don't notice them -- plus they smell like your house and blend in, because they live there all the time.

I've found Tris to be more smelly myself though -- probably because coats tend to be heavier and retain more scent and also can more easily be pee'd on. Imagine the same would be true for B&Ts.

None of my dogs stink!!! Ha, ha! Actually, I've found that Madison, my ruby, has the thickest coat and smells the most. However, Oliver, my blenheim, sheds the most.

Alfs wasnt that bad,but Archie is smelly.Hes allways rolling in something nasty as well.But Archie cleans himself better than Alfs.Mmmmm.

I think boys have more odor than girls. Pixie (blen) would keep her nice smell for days after a bath, and so does Lizzie (tri). Bandit (blen) on the other hand has a strong male urine smell within a day of his bath. Just a little bit getting on his tummy makes him stink bad. I stick him in the sink and wash his tummy just about every day.

I think dogs are like people in this situation - some are just more prone to being smelly and other don't get smelly so quickly. One of my dogs in particular (a working Cocker) doesn't smell as bad as any of the others, even though they all go the same length of time between washes and when he gets washed he tends to be quite dirty (he's quite the rambler - will be into anything and everything, he runs a lot and let's not forget the rolling and digging... :rolleyes:) but never smelly.

My Cavalier lady, on the other hand, gets smelly before the others (even if she is shaved at the time). I think it all depends on the dog :d*g:

I wonder if age has anything to do with smell? I find Mindy gets smelly sooner now than she used to.

Age, Sex, Activity Levels, they all are part of the equation. typically the older they are and boys over girls who are more active will smell more than the opposite.

I notice Charlie tends to "stink" sooner than Indy, but I also think it's because he gets into more outside than she does. She always has this sweet smell to her.

I am enjoying this thread!!

I have 2 rubies and Lucky is my stinky dog. He's got longer feathering and poor aim so he pee's on his legs all the time. Sparky, on the other hand is a squatter and doesn't have the pee-paws.

Chelsea my ruby went to the groomers in December, I did not need to bath her for months, just used a vanila almond grooming spray every so often when brushing her. Took her to the groomers last week for her furst full bath since December because she had mats I could not get out rather than the smell. Vivie still a pup and gets messy often.;)

This is an interesting subject. My shih tzu and Abbey have stunk a day after getting a bath and it has always amazed me how people can say oh I bathed my dog 6 months ago. We'd would have had to move out of our house if we bathed them every six months. Well, now that we are getting somewhere with the allergy scene the smell is like night and day soooooooooooo that could have something to do with also. Just an idea to throw out at ya'll.

haha, I'm one of those people who can go *months* (I won't say 6 months, but maybe 4?) without bathing Ollie or Casey. Winston, our Blenheim, on the other hand...smells like a *dog*...hence me starting this thread. My last two fosters were also Blens and also smelled like *dogs*!

I can go months without washing Holly, i normally just end up bathing her when she rolls in something icky!
She always smells really good, people always comment on how nice she smells and say "oh you must wash her a lot she's so clean". Ha ha, I don't, she just keeps herself spotless!:luv:

I can go months without washing Holly, i normally just end up bathing her when she rolls in something icky!

Same with mine.

Skin problems due to allergies could definitely cause odours.

I noticed our foster (a blenheim) was a bit on the stinky side but he has the longest coat out of the 3 so I suspect thats what was causing it.
Prince was getting a bit stinky but I actually noticed it less after he had his anal glands drained last week.
Belle is probably the cleanest dog you will ever meet - she walks around anything dirty.

I bathed all 3 of them yesterday and they just looked so cute and fluffy (after they stopped sulking) - no stinky dogs now - long may it last :D

I don't bathe mine very often. Mindy does tend to get stinky faster than Max though - and Max always begs for a bath when Mindy is getting one (he changes his mind once he is in the tub though!). Max had dry skin through the winter so I don't want to make it any worse. Mindy needs more bathing than she did when she was young.

rubys mom

my ruby stinks like a old rug sometimes :eek: has she has sm and always licking youd think shed be fresh and clean :rotfl: but not my ruby but the colonge i get from my groomers dose the job and she smells like a powdered baby till her bath b*n*n* but i dont mind just think if we didnt bath everyday whooo not good :D:shock:

Back