PDA

View Full Version : How do your cavs let you know they have to go?

nannyj
3rd May 2009, 02:10 AM
For those of you whose cavs are fully housetrained, how do they let you know that they have to go outside, and when did they start doing it regularly? Quincy is only a little over 4 months old, and I certainly don't expect him to be trained yet, but I'm just curious how old your dogs were, and how they let you know. Right now, Quincy will stare at me, and he'll bark if I ask him if he has to go outside. He does this about half the time, although sometimes he just wants to go out to chew leaves or sticks!

Also, does anyone here bell train? I've been ringing a bell everytime we go out. He's rang the bell himself a couple of times. I know some dogs never get the whole bell thing, but Quincy is pretty smart, so I'm hoping he'll catch on.

Mindysmom
3rd May 2009, 02:24 PM
I wish I had thought of bell training. The real advantage I see to that is that you could take the bells wherever you went. Both Max and Mindy go to the door when they need to go out. Mindy will bark if she needs to go out at night but that is the only time (I guess she gets tired of waiting for us?). They will both sit rather patiently for me to let them out - sometimes Max will scratch if we don't get there soon enough. When Max first "got" the idea of going out to do his business on his own he would run to the door and more often than not wouldn't stop before he got there. It was very funny. He has gotten more co-ordinated with age.

Max was pretty easy to train but Mindy helped train him I'm sure. Also I think because we got him at nine weeks we were able to start early with him.

harleyfarley
3rd May 2009, 02:57 PM
harley waits by the back door, if nobody comes to let him out he walks in and out and in and out stopping and stareing at me, right into my eyes, that makes me ask, what do you want, then his ears shoot up and he runs whineing to the back door, honestly you wouldnt think it would take us so long to cotton on, still we are still in training obviously. di

FlaresofChardonnay
3rd May 2009, 03:53 PM
My dog, who's two years old now and I'd say she's pretty well potty trained, doesn't tell me anything during the day. She's been on a schedule since I got her so she just knows that she's going out and doesn't really have to worry about it.

At night or when she's sick, that's when she tells me and it's different for the time of day. If it's during the day, she gets really antsy and I just go ahead and take her out. At night, she goes and sits by the door and if I don't notice her within about 5 minutes, she'll whine a little, and then if I still don't notice her in 10-15 minutes, she'll give one solitary bark. It's always a surprise because she very rarely ever barks.

Love my Cavaliers
3rd May 2009, 04:59 PM
Oiver, who is 8, will bark if I'm not within sight or "harumph" if I'm nearby when he needs to go out. Both of my girls just sit looking at the door, never making a sound, just waiting for me to notice them. Oz, who is just under 2, will come find me and give me a little bark, jump up on me and immediately jump down and then make a beeline for the door. If we are in the kitchen, which is the door they always go out to the backyard from, he will sit by the door and whine if I don't notice him soon enough.

jasperpaw
3rd May 2009, 04:59 PM
In the daytime I just let Jasper out at random times during the day and if he wants to go out he just gives a little woof at the door and in the colder months when the door is closed he just gives a woof to come in, at night time as he is up with us and he needs to go which is not very often he either scratches at the door or gives a little woof again, he has had accidents over the years, when he was younger he used to pee in the house, he was never left for long periods as I only work part time and locally, he grew out of it but we think it seemed to be separation anxiety.

leesanlucie
3rd May 2009, 05:08 PM
During the day Lucie(3yrs old) will hit the back door loudly if she needs out.Although since we have an 11 mth old pup Sasha we have regular potty breaks in our routine anyway.Sasha does nothing to get out....no barkign,hitting door....nothing!I think she just relies on her big sis :p

If its during the night when one of them are ill then they bark.....and i hear them cause i put my baby monitor on. Means they dont wake the kids!;)

hwowen
3rd May 2009, 09:14 PM
Jasper just pops out through the catflap into the run outside :badgrin: Failing this he will hold, such as if there's an awkward cat preventing his exit. Handy for when he's alone in the house, but we're going to have to think hard for the future, because that's where the conservatory is going! I'm thinking of another catflap out of the conservatory into an adjoining run!

heather r
3rd May 2009, 09:20 PM
Our Abigail who is almost 10 months lets us know by barking and running to any outside door (not necessarily the one I want her to use;))

Heather R

sunshinekisses
3rd May 2009, 09:36 PM
Sun paces by the door, sometimes she will scratch at the door...followed by the "hurry up and do my biding" look. :D

brotymo
3rd May 2009, 10:01 PM
Both of mine have several tactics. In the event that they need to go during the night (rare), they sit at the end of the bed and bark (they sleep on the bed with me). During the day, they either just stand by the doggy door at the back door and stare at me, or if they really need to go, they will scratch at it. My doggy door is a power pet one and it either has to be opened by a sensor on their collar, or they have to have it opened by me. I don't have it set up for them to let themselves in and out, I have to manually do it since I'd rather be supervising them. I worry more ever since when Bandit was little and hawks came after him.

SuzRN
3rd May 2009, 11:08 PM
I bell trained Chelsea at about 4-5 months, she was a dream compaired to Vivian. At about 7 months put in the larger dog door from the laundy to garage and an electronic door garage to back yard. That was very easy to train.

Vivian another story. At almost 6 months, she is 90% bell trained to pee. I broke down and started letting her sleep on the bed so I could sleep(she was wining at 3 am every day even though I ignored her) she sleep to max of 630 then jumps down and 'forgets' to ring the bell for the am constitutional:sl*p::sl*p:. She will follow Chelsea out the dog door and sometimes comes in herself, but forgets at times. Just keep at it.

katc10
4th May 2009, 12:36 AM
Indy was good about going to the door when she was younger, but she would go, stand there a bit, and if you didn't see her then she would do off in the bathroom and potty there (obviously if we didn't let her out when she was at the door it was ok for her to go inside, right!?). She started scratching the door or barking to go out around 9 months maybe. When we got Charlie and got him house trained, he just waits for Indy to go out, and he tags along. Just before he turned 2 years old did he ever use his voice to tell me he had to go potty. He must have had to go bad, cause he woke up in the night, sat by our bed, and whimpered until I woke up. Such good kids.

Although Indy now uses the pawing a bit too much and has torn some of the threads on the front of the couch pawing at it for us to throw her ball or help her up (although in her defense the couch is made of cheap fabric).

Lani
4th May 2009, 12:42 AM
Lucky rings the bells. He's great at it, and when he REALLY needs to go out (has diarrhea ...), he rings them like he means it. I can really tell when he's not kiddings vs. when he just wants to go and chase squirrels.

Every time we go out I have Sparky ring them. He will ring them sometimes on his own, but not as much as Lucky. If Sparky needs to go out he will sit right in front of me and BARK until he has my attention and I take him out. Not how I'd prefer he communicate, but it gets the job done. :rotfl:

Maggles
4th May 2009, 07:09 AM
We *just* got a tellbell (tellbell.com) two days ago, and Maggie is already using it. She got the hang of it really fast. She still needs a little prompting, but she is getting more confident.

It's adorable and stops the scratching to save our back door.

We joke that we're now spaniel concierges.

ann
4th May 2009, 02:48 PM
Ellie uses her poochie bells. I bought it when she was about 4 months old, and she learnt to use it the same day. She somtimes uses it when the door is open:D...... I dont like her barking, so the bells are great:smile:

Joshua
4th May 2009, 05:37 PM
we started josh at 2 months where we'd carry him to the door, ring the bell and say outside...3 months he'd walk to the door, but we'd ring the bell for him and say 'outside?'...he eventually got it at 4 months to go to the door and ring the bell and then look back at us to make eye contact...he became very consistant and 99% potty trained by 6 months...

our newest pup came home and we started the same thing at 2 months...she got the hang of the bell at 2 weeks being home...she'd ring the bell, and we'd ask 'do you want to go OUTSIDE?' -- then she'd ring the bell again to say 'YES"...when she has the urgency to go outside, she'll ring and ring and ring the bell...if we don't come quick enought, she'd start pull and biting the bell and shaking her head to tell us to 'GET A MOVE ON IT CUZ I HAVE TO REALLY GO'...she's now 4 months and seems even better at communicating her potty needs to us than our 1st pup was...

the problem i have now is how they can tell me they have to go when we are not at home in our family room, OR if we are in other areas of the house...this I haven't figured out yet -- soo we just make sure we know when they've last gone and are sure to take them out when they start pacing or staring into our eyes...

their still pups, so we are still learning...

i like someone's previous idea of taking the 'bells' with us when we visit other homes...we never thought of that...thanks!

emmawright
6th May 2009, 06:38 PM
The Tell Bell looks good, i would like to try this for our girls, amazon.com won't post to UK, does anyone know a UK company who sells the Tell Bell???

Masterofsparks
6th May 2009, 09:24 PM
Yoko tends to pace and if we dont notice her she jumps up on the couch and looks in my face and whines....I love the bell idea though!!

nannyj
7th May 2009, 06:36 PM
The bell I use is just a regular desk bell, or hotel bell - the kind you find on a counter in a hotel, diner, etc. I bought it for about $4 at Staples (office supply store). Quincy rings it with his nose!

jld
7th May 2009, 07:38 PM
Mine use the doggy door during the day.

Masterofsparks
8th May 2009, 12:22 AM
I just ordered the TellBell after reading this thread! Anyone have good tips on training or what worked best for you?

Maggles
8th May 2009, 01:21 AM
That's a great idea about the hotel bell. The tellbell thing we got has two bells and a manual and video. It was about $25 from amazon.

At first when Maggie scratched at the door, we'd pick her up gently and wap her front paw on the bell. She wasn't sure about it the first day but caught on really fast. My only advice is to be *really* consistent with bringing your cavvy back inside (after maybe a minute) if they ring the bell and don't potty, and of course, cheer and reward when they ring the bell and do potty.

The training manual says that you might have a couple days of potty accidents early on - we had one misplaced poop and then that was it.

When she got the hang of it, Maggie rang the bell just to ask to be let out, so we had a few frustrating days of getting up every five minutes. So I have been using treats and toys to distract her when she wanders off to the door. Good practice for recall, I guess. :D

good luck!

murphy's mum
14th May 2009, 08:57 AM
Murphy sits and stares at you, and if you don't see him he starts 'patting' at you with his paw:cool:

And if your on the phone, or not getting up quick enough he'll jump up and stand on you to stare:)

Brenda in SC
16th May 2009, 12:34 AM
While on vacation this week, I picked up the bells at a pet shop. We'll start tomorrow morning. Up til now, it's been a stare-down. Rudy doesn't bark to let us know, just comes and stares. It has been a problem when we're occupied in other parts of the house - and that seems to be when accidents happen too.

Cathy Moon
19th May 2009, 12:30 AM
Geordie and India scratch at the door, while Chocolate sits by the door and stares at us. If we're in another room, they manage to get our attention and lead one of to the door. :)

Brenda in SC
19th May 2009, 01:39 AM
Update on the bell training....

Day one - We spent the first day getting Rudy used to the bells - he was afraid of the sound. Day two - we rang the bells each time we let him out and said 'outside? ring the bells!' He looked at us like we were nuts and just raced out the door to avoid the sound. (I'm sure he's wondering what is the big deal????) icon_nwunsure

Day three (today) - more normal exits, altho we are still ringing the bells and saying the phrase. Guess it's just going to take some patience.

tupup
19th May 2009, 11:33 AM
Good luck with it im sure Rudy will be ringing away before long! Ive often wondered if my girl would use them as she never tells me i just clock watch for her so i look forward to hearing how you progress:)

LoneStar Hoopy
18th November 2009, 05:04 AM
Hoopy has a few different choices, she will sit & stare at us, if I'm on the phone she will jump up & tap on my shoulder with her paw (too cute) & the other normally in the evening when we are home & preparing dinner or distracted she will shake the blind on the back door. She never barks.

Now Tramp our rescue just goes whenever Hoopy decides she wants to go out, lol

Soushiruiuma
18th November 2009, 07:12 AM
Guinness is picking up the concept really quickly (2 weeks), so far all I get in warning is a mad dash for the door. We're going to start with a bell in December, I've only seen homemade versions where a bell is hung on a rope from the doorknob so the dog grabs and shakes to ring the bell.

Karen and Ruby
18th November 2009, 09:57 AM
Ruby will sit by the back door and stare- then if I ask her "TOILET??" she will turn in a circle. If she doesnt turn in a circle then I assume she wants to just go out and bark so I wont let her out.
Charlie just gets put out every couple of hrs and I f I tell him toilet he will go.
He hasnt decided on a way to let me know as yet- he has only been with us 2 months.

maguire
18th November 2009, 11:05 AM
i have put a tinkle bell on the the back door for cooper about three weeks ago, he knows when he hears it that it means toilet as i say it every time it chimes, usually he will go when he goes out that door, and if he pushes it with his nose ( he doesnt do it nessesarily just when he needs to go!} i put him straight out and say toilet. he is a fast learner too with tricks and obedience but its very much a work in progress he has plenty of accidents and he is still young but ill persivere with the bell and fingers crossed:xfngr:

Mom of Jato
18th November 2009, 08:49 PM
I always use the sliding glass door off the kitchen to take the dogs outside. When they need to go, they scratch the glass with their paw real quick. I never taught them this...Jato just started doing it and then I guess he taught Zoey when we brought her home. cl*p

Rumor
19th November 2009, 10:44 AM
Leo will stand in front of me with his tail going a mile a minute. cl*p

Remus will come up and start licking me on any exposed skin. cl*p

Loki will go to the door and start barking like he sees something and gets everybody barking. :lpy:

mhabca
20th November 2009, 02:01 AM
We got the Poochie Bells for Mika when she was 4 months old. She learned them in just one day and hasn't had an accident since. She's pretty smart though. She will use them sometimes when she just wants our attention because she wants a treat or something. As someone mentioned though, she will ring them like crazy when she really has to go.

I've never taken them with us to other places. Then, she just paces by the door. If no one notices her, she will start whining. Again, she's never had an accident.

gstahmer
21st November 2009, 02:55 PM
We bell trained Kendall at about 4 mo. I just bought some jingle bells from the craft store and hung two of them from a ribbon that I tied to the back door. With Christmas right around the corner, it should be pretty easy to find jingle bells, and it only cost me about $2 to make.

Tania
21st November 2009, 06:04 PM
I have missed this thread for some reason and only just caught up. Dougall will bark which is great. Molly just sits as the door and pats it, which isn't great if you are not in the same room. We have got a budgie bell with a suction pad on the door, we have taught her to touch it, which is a great . It doesn't always happen but she has done really well . She learnt "touch" in class so it wasn't to hard to teach her.

gocamping
23rd November 2009, 07:57 PM
Both of mine will ring the bell. It is just a Christmas deco, that we removed the holly and stuff from. I have to say, Libby rings it very nicely. She gently lifts it and lets it go. Chase, swings from it like Tarzan. Definitely a difference in boy vs girl or personalities. Chase is 6 months and I say he was ringing the bell since he was around 4 months.

mhabca
23rd November 2009, 11:34 PM
Chase, swings from it like Tarzan. Definitely a difference in boy vs girl or personalities.

That made me laugh. I can just picture. Usually Mika is quite the lady and just nudges it gently, but when it's a real emergency, you'd think she was going to put the things right through the glass door.

gocamping
24th November 2009, 05:35 PM
That is my worry some days too with the glass door! My husband laughed at me when I told him I was going to train my lab to ring a bell. We have been doing bell training ever since.

Of course, once Libby realized it would get her want she wanted for outside, she tried it to get food and water too! What they don't try!:)

mckcomplex
24th November 2009, 08:17 PM
Leo is almost five months old. He has had two accidents in the past two months, but we realize that doesn't mean he's housetrained--we just never let him out of our sight for a moment!

We trained him to sit in front of the door when he wants to go "aye-aye," as we call it.

Tobiko
9th December 2009, 01:22 AM
We always use the same door every time we take them out potty, so when they need to go they usually sit in front of that door. Sometimes scratch the door if we did not see them there.
We did not use the bell but a friend of ours use that on their pug and said that it worked very well for them. Good luck.