• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do dogs get stug by nettles?

harrysmum

I took Harry & Charlie for a walk along our local canal this afternoon, 1st time for Charlie:) We had a lovely walk but on the way back Charlie went into some undergrowth & afterwards he just could not stop scratching. All the way back to the car he kept stopping for a scratch, always left ear area. He was still troubled when we got home, I checked him thoroughly & could see no signs of bites or rashes but something was obviousley troubling him:(
Its now a few hours later & he seems fine again, so I'm wondering if he was nettled as there were nettles in the area where he went .Have any of you experienced this?:confused:

Yes, I remember when Bobby was a puppy taking him for a walk along paths between lots of over hanging nettles and him not settling/being jumpy when we got home. It happened again a little while afterwards and we put it down to nettle stings.
Mind you he's still one for sitting at my feet if he's got something in his bottom feathers! I say 'have you got bottom problems?' and then scope him up and sort him out!
I would keep an eye on his ear just incase he's got grass seed or something in there! Hope he's ok!

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep checking him but he's much more settled now, Just wondered if dogs were bothered with nettles, cos if so will have to be more vigilant :wggle:

My friends collie absolutely will not retrieve a ball from where there are nettles.......and tbh this dog will retrieve a ball from anywhere!!!.
In answer to your question yes though I , personally have not experineced a big problem

Many years ago my first Cavvie (Louie) had been walking on ground where lots of young new nettles were springing up. When we got home she went absolutely crazy, tearing round the house, scratching up all the mats and generally looking wild-eyed and scary. In my ignorance I rushed her to the vet, thinking she was having some kind of a fit! How silly I felt when he patiently explained that it was most likely to be nettle stings on sensitive pads, and I had probably made it worse by standing her in warm water to wash her muddy feet.

Since then I have had several other dogs do the same thing, though now I try to avoid getting into places where this is most likely to happen at this time of year (in our part of the world).

A friend once suggested standing the dogs in a weak solution of vinegar water for a few minutes if they were affected, but I have never tried this.

It can be quite scary to watch them in distress like this, but it should pass after a little while if they do get caught out.

Haven't read all the replies but I find, for myself, soap and water takes the itch out of stinging nettle rash. Try bathing them.

I found that the best treatment for nettles is the same as a jellyfish sting. Near pure vinigar and some meat tenderizer. If you can go to an outdoor store especially someplace near water where jellyfish is, they make single use moist toilets that are specifically designed for Jellyfish. Well Living in the ozarks I tend to find nettle so I always keep a couple of those towelettes and wash off the area and in 5 min NO STING! :)

Back