• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Natural Balance v. California Natural

vicarrieous

Does anyone feed their pups either Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato & Fish OR California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato?

Our little Albie is still having the itchies and the vet wants to pursue switching food again to a fish based product with a more limited ingredient base. (We already switched from a chicken to lamb diet and now lamb to fish)

Our vet suggested their Hills ZD or Purina allergy food but I was not impressed with their ingredients.

We did some research and these were two of our possible choices. I just wanted to see what all you thought.

Thanks for your help.
:xfngr: Crossing our fingers that this will be our solution!

All 4 of mine are on Natural Balance Duck and Potato--2 of mine have allergies also. Also, for treats I know just give the NB treats--same --duck and potato and some yam treats and fish treats and thats it.

My sister used to feed her 8 year old mini doxi IAMS. About 2 years ago, her father in law who is a vet finally convinced her to get Mini off that trash food. Mini had previously stayed skinny in spite of having food available to her all the time. She also had LOTS of itchies. At the vets recommendation, she put her on the California naturals sweet potato and herring. Mini looks like a different dog. Her coat is luxurious and full now, and she went from 4 to 6 lbs in weight. (Yes, she is the tiniest miniature dachshund I have EVER seen. When I took Bandit to visit when he was only 10 weeks old they were the same size...Bandit was even a little taller!) She acts younger now than she did when she was 4 and 5 years old!
So...it worked for Mini, and it might be what your baby needs too. Can't hurt to try it.

Last edited:
We just started our allergy regime lets say and the dermatologist doesn't really think it is a food issue and I already had put them on the food on my own. She did tell me that to get the full benefit of the food to make sure there were no other foods given so thats where I have bought different treats for them etc. They both also have started cyclosporin treatment and we are 4 weeks into it. They both are reacting well to it but it takes 6 weeks for it to really take effect. We go back on monday to the dermatologist and will see what she says then.

I feed both of mine Wellness 5 Fish and Sweet Potato. I have also gone from using chicken to lamb to fish for them. Their coats are very soft and shiny on the fish based food.

When I worked at the vet they always recommended a duck & potato food for allergies, I'd try the Natural Balance Duck and Potato - it's a good food. Last resort I'd try a veggie formula, I think Nature's Recipe at Petsmart has a nice Veggie food.

Tawna

I went and picked up the Natural Balance L.I.D. Fish and Sweet Potato last night. My vet really wanted to get them on a fish diet since the she said it should be good for their skin and coat. They were very excited to try it which made me very happy and Albie about nose-dived into the bag! We also got two different sizes of the treats so its 8 weeks of trial to see if this will help!

I also broke down and ordered the Isle of Dog Shampoo, Conditioner and Grooming Spray online. I can't wait to get it in and try it! Kip our tri really likes baths and I only bathe them about 1 every month or a little longer if they can hold out. The next couple of days are supposed to be nice and they are getting to the point where they will need a bath so hopefully it comes in soon!

Thanks for all your help/suggestions everyone!

Back