• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winnie's coat?

LisaKatie

Hey everyone I know it takes awhile for cav's hair to grow in long and silky. Winnie has always had very very short hair. Her hair hasn't really grown much at all and she's is 5 months now and only has a bit of hair on her ears. Even her brother has more fur than her, and always has. We've had her since 9 weeks, and she's always had a short coat, almost like I Labrador retriever puppy.

Do some Cavalier's just have shorter hair?

Thanks,

-Katie

It will take a year or more before you REALLY see the cavalier coat come out.

Our Yoko is now 7 months old and we are noticing that her hair is starting to grow in but is still fairly short. Her ears though are growing in more than everything else as is her tail and around her butt! She is starting to look kind of funny from the backside!!:jmp2:

Ah, Katie, be patient. She has a long way to go. They lose their puppy fluff and almost have a rat tail for a while. One day you will notice feathering beginning and her tail beginning to unfurl. Bandit is almost a year old and his ears are still very short. He has pretty fluffy hindquarters and tail, but his leg feathering is taking it's time. According to my breeder, you won't see what you are going to get until they are between 2 and 3 years old. Unspayed females tend to have a little finer coat than spayed females according to some people. 5 months is really young. My Lizzie has had a full coat for months and she is only 8 months old, but she is a tri and they just have a different sort of coat.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love her, short hair or long hair. I love her short hair so it doesn't bother me, I was just suprised how furry her brother is. :lol:

Yea.. Winnie is getting some hair around the butt, i think that's it. She looks funny from her backside too!

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love her, short hair or long hair. I love her short hair so it doesn't bother me, I was just suprised how furry her brother is. :lol:

Yea.. Winnie is getting some hair around the butt, i think that's it. She looks funny from her backside too!

Bet we'd all get a laugh of it too if you took some :snap:

Brian's tail began to unfurl at 7 months, and now it's just gorgeous a month later, totally unfurled.

His ear hair started to grow past this ears at 5 months, and it was straggley, so I trimmed it (and saved the hair as it was his first hair cut). Now it's growing in thicker and nicer, but at 8 months old, it's not long at all, just half an inch longer than his ears.

His behind already has the full fluff on both sides of the tail.

But his body hair is still short, maybe half inch longer than his sides. That hair is much slower growing on him that everywhere else. He still looks like a pup with the short hair, but I guess at 8 months he's still considered a pup??

I don't know what's going on with Reuben then!!

He is 13 weeks and has curly hair!! I really like the smooth silky ones, but having just read that tricolours have different coats it looks like he will not be smooth and silky.
He has just got a twist on the end of his tail and a bit of feathering at the back of his front legs, but the hair on his sides grows back then completely forwards!!

DSCF0611.jpg

DSCF0617.jpg

Ollie is about 16 months old, has long feathers on his tail and back side, but a very short coat elsewhere.

My tri was a fur ball from about 1 year.

I was starting to worry about Rudy...he's 9 mos now and has only traces of feathering on the legs, ears are still short, but getting some growth on the back end. And his tail is beginning to unfurl. Since he has a short/bent tail (birth defect we think), it doesn't look quite 'right', but it is kinda cute. We hope once it all unfurls, it won't be as noticeable, but we really don't care. It's quite a conversation starter. I've been trying to get a good pic of it, but he doesn't seem to like 'rear view posing'.:snap:

holly's 14 mths now and her coat has only really started to come on in the last few weeks. Her feathering is looking really gorgeous now and her ears have gotten really long, its the cutest thing.:p

My Mindy is a tri and her body hair never grew terribly long or thick. Max looks to have the same type of coat although at 7 months it's probably too early to say. They both have a fair bit around their butt and have nice thick tails. I'm probably grateful they aren't bushier because it makes them easier to groom after walks in the bush but it wasn't something I went looking for.

One of my dogs Sam is very hairs (well not anymore because we have had them groomed) but Charlie never had long hair, or long ears. I would say it depends on the dog.

Maddie's (blenheim) got a fly away cotton like coat, not long (apart from some straggly bits), but her leg and tail feathering is gorgeous. She's got the skirt as well, if you know what I mean, but is fluffy all over. HEr ears are silky though, but not very long.

Pippin (B&T) has long silky fur, and his ears were realy curly as a little pup, now they're really thick and long. He has a gorgeous coat, but it takes more grooming than Maddie's.

Duncan has had a VERY full and fluffy coat from about 15 months....Arthur's coat was very short until he was well over 2 yrs and then it really started to fill out. It will never be like Duncans. I think each dog is different...enjoy the short fur while you can because with the longer coat comes shedding :)

Back