• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Silly Question

When feeding your cavalier a treat, say a small reward treat will they catch it in the air if you throw it to them? Every other dog I've ever had has been able to catch a treat in the air. Not my cavs. Just wondered all cavs have trouble with this or it's just mine! :)

hmm, never paid attention to that. I will have to try it, but I will wait until tomorrow. Both of mine are curled up on my bed right now and I am tired, too...so off to bed I go!

Yoko is only 7 months old and has yet to be able to catch a treat...now it could be her age! Perhaps someone else here will know if it possible!

Anna has yet to understand the idea of catch or fetch. :( Someday she'll get it.

Bella does catch mid-air treats! It took her a while to learn, but once she got it, she rarely misses! She was probably almost a year old when she learned that trick, it took her longer to learn than my other dog! So there is hope for your baby!!! :p

Jaspar is the household pro at catching all sorts of things, treats and soft toys etc mid-air. He knows the command 'catch'! All dogs are different -- doesn't have anything to do with breed really. Lots of my friends with other breeds and mixes can't believe Jaspar catches treats mid-air... :)

Mindy will occasionally catch treats mid-air (the kids toss them - not me). I've never tried with Max but he is learning to catch his bouncy ball in the air (after it bounces). We aren't specifically working on this but I toss it for him in the evenings when we are watching TV and once in awhile he will catch it on the bounce.

Daisy will catch a piece of ham mid air with impressive style,but everything else has to hit the floor,be examined,sniffed and tested tooth by tooth.I guess it depends how much they want it,but cavaliers can catch if they want!
Perhaps it's a temperament thing,some are feisty and animated whereas others are proper little ladies and gentlemen.
Sins

I have been trying forever to get Cooper to catch. No luck. With all of the dogs that I have had before him it seemed to come to them naturaly. I even have tryed small scraps of pancake and just had it bounce off of his nose. He is not stupid, and knows a lot of commands, I have not geven up on catch yet.

Daisy simply will not try to catch a treat of any kind. It can hit her on the top of the nose and she just lets it hit her. My other dogs have generally been pros at it. Oh well.

Just to show that she's really too "human" to try such a doggy thing ;) as treat-catching, when we throw a toy, she catches it with her "hands" just as often as her mouth! It is so cute. She jumps up, claps her hands together trapping the toy in the air, and brings it down to the floor. I have to try to get a video of that!

Oliver is the master at my house. He can catch any treat in mid-air- even from across the room. The other three just look at it and wait until it hits the ground.

That is so funny you posted that. I have been thinking the same thing. ALL my other dogs have been able to catch treats. Dixie will not even try. She just looks at me when I toss it, and lets it fall on the floor. Of course, Cleo, the pug is ever ready to scoop it up if Dixie doesn't get to it fast...... Judy

Back