PDA

View Full Version : Any other big Cavs out there?

Susanna
7th May 2009, 11:53 PM
My 8 month old male Cav weighs 30 lbs, is on a diet/exercise regime, but not only that, he's taller and longer than most Cavs I see. I knew he'd be a big boy, according to the breeder who breeds the litters for the larger size, but I guess that's not common, since Brian stands out.

Are there any large Cavs here?

chloe92us
8th May 2009, 12:46 AM
We adopted a Blenheim male, 3 YO, in January through Cavalier Rescue and he was 35 pounds. Now he is down to 32 and is at *his* perfect weight. There are some larger Cavaliers, but over 25 is definitely the minority.

If you can't see a defined waist and easily feel his ribs when he is standing, he needs to lose some weight. At 8 months old, though, I can't imagine he's hugely obese? Maybe he will just be a rare "big one". Personally I like them on the big side since I have a preschooler.

Masterofsparks
8th May 2009, 01:03 AM
WOW that is one big Cavalier! Yoko is 7 months and is 13 lbs! How tall is your Cav at the shoulders?

Davy
8th May 2009, 01:11 AM
My one is a slim 27lbs :)

Lani
8th May 2009, 03:11 AM
Is Brian overweight? You said he's on a diet/exercise routine. I also know a couple Cavaliers in that range, the important thing to consider is whether their weight is right for their frame ... does Brian have a discernible waist? He might just be large and not really overweight.

That said, Cavaliers that large are really anomalies. The one I know is from a great show breeder, but doesn't have any large siblings. A Cavalier in the 20 lb range is not that uncommon, but good breeders typically try to breed to standard. I'm not sure if any reputable breeder would be trying to breed large Cavaliers.

Love my Cavaliers
8th May 2009, 03:19 AM
My Oliver is a trim and slim 26-27 pounds. He is however at least 15+ inches at the shoulders, whereas Riley, my petite one, is probably about 10 inches at the shoulder. These are just rough guestimates since I'm not really sure where exactly to measure from. But Oliver is much taller and longer than my other three.

Love my Cavaliers
8th May 2009, 03:22 AM
I forgot to add in my last post, that Oliver was 31 pounds at 11 months , and I was told in no uncertain terms to get his weight down. He has maintained at the same weight (~26 pounds ) since then and he is 8 years old now.

Daisy's Mom
8th May 2009, 05:27 AM
Daisy is a bigger girl, too. She is definitely longer than average, and I think some taller, too. She is 27.4 pounds (down from 28.8 -- yeahh! Still have about 4 or 5 more to go to get to what the vet says is probably her ideal weight.)

I would have preferred the smaller end of the size range, to be honest, but of course, I think Daisy is absolutely beautiful and I wouldn't trade her for any dog in the world. (I'm not exactly on the petite end of the size spectrum either, so who am I to judge?!)

We have 2 rescue Cavaliers right now. Both are much smaller/shorter framed than Daisy. One is 22.4 pounds and the other is 26.4 pounds. The heavier one definitely needs to lose a few.

Maggles
8th May 2009, 12:47 PM
We get asked all the time whether Maggie is a full cavalier (she is), because she's apparently extra long and tall. (??!?)

At one year and two months, she weighs 17.5 pounds, which I don't think is that much - she's certainly not starving but cuts a very sporting figure. You can still feel her ribs and she has a nice waist, but I don't think she's so thin. She's really tall and leggy as can be. Since her last bath last week her paws have gotten even bigger, so I wouldn't be surprised if she puts on a few more pounds as she grows up.

Maggles
8th May 2009, 12:49 PM
I should add, she still seems tiny to me compared to the other cavvys we meet in the neighborhood. But she still has some filling in to do. Some people just like to think they got one over on you. :rolleyes:

One more edit: Her neurologist said SM is often due to many cavaliers having brains the size of a labrador, in that tiny little skull. So maybe it is a good thing overall for those of us with big cavaliers?

Aileen
8th May 2009, 02:31 PM
My Barney is one of the biggest Cavaliers I have seen he is longer tall and is very big the last time we were at the vets for his vacs and MOT he was heart clear but does need to lose some wieght my vet say to get him down a lot will let you know when he is down I will not put his weight on here because I have seen what has been said about big cavaliers and there owners
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/mattiesmum2/BarneySam1.jpg
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Mycavyangels
8th May 2009, 02:37 PM
We meet a big cavalier at the park not that long ago, he was adorable:)
you can see the size difference between mine and him:biggrin:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Cavaliers4/dogs011-20.jpg

brotymo
8th May 2009, 03:06 PM
I will not put his weight on here because I have seen what has been said about big cavaliers and there owners
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

???
What has been said?
I think anything derogatory would show the ignorance of the blabbermouth who said anything.

Karlin
8th May 2009, 03:56 PM
One more edit: Her neurologist said SM is often due to many cavaliers having brains the size of a labrador, in that tiny little skull. So maybe it is a good thing overall for those of us with big cavaliers?

No, this makes no difference according to neurologists. SM occurs in all sized cavaliers with many different shapes of head -- it seems to be correlated to them being a small, short-nosed breed. It is the interior space and shape of the skull which doesn't directly correlate to how large the head or the dog is.

Kizzys Mum
8th May 2009, 06:25 PM
Kizzy is about 24 pounds and very long and tall. We're starting to wonder if maybe she's crossed with a springer! She looks very similar to the cav/springer cross that was posted on the rescue pages and has flecks of brown in her white coat...

linderbelle
8th May 2009, 06:46 PM
I agree Suzie. Some dogs are bigger and thats in their genes. My shih tzu is a big guy. He gets one cup of dog food a day. 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the afternoon. Maybe a very very small cookie a day. I swear we could give him a 1/2 cup of dog food a day and he'd still be his size. Its in his genes. His mom and dad were the same way etc. To put other shih tzus by him though is like that picture--we had another shih tzu before him and she was so much more petite-smaller etc. He is not fat--just muscular. You can tell an overweight dog vs muscular etc.

meljoy
8th May 2009, 06:57 PM
Leo is bigger than nearly every cavalier we've met. He weights 11kg and is very tall and broad. The vet actually said she doesnt feel he is over weight because he has a defined waist and certainly doesnt look fat.:D

But he is certainly much bigger than most others.

Mel

Susanna
9th May 2009, 05:14 AM
I just measured Brian...he's 16 inches from front leg to shoulder. His parents are large, too, but it looks like he's bigger than they are.

Karlin, do you think the breeder was just giving me a line about breeding bigger Cavs to improve the breed? I know it's too late now, Brian is mine forever, but in hindsight I'm confused about size vs genetic problems. Larger nosed=better breathing which puts less pressure on the heart valve issues. Larger skulls to accommodate their brains to avoid SM. Longer legs to weed out hip dysplasia. A few more reasons, she said.

Anyway, I don't mean this thread to debate. Just to get some information, and mainly to see if my big boy is an oddball!:)

We're going to a Cavalier Meet tomorrow in Manhattan, so I'll take some pics of Brian and his Cavvie friends to post here.

FlaresofChardonnay
9th May 2009, 05:52 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a big cavalier. I have a small cavalier. She only weighs 10lbs and she's two years old now. She's on the thin side because I like my dogs thin but she's also about 10-11 inches at the shoulder.

murphy's mum
14th May 2009, 09:49 AM
My Murphy is a tall, long lad, he's around 16" tall at the withers, and is 22 and a half pounds. He's a good weight for his size, and quite lean.

I used to worry, as he doesn't have a waist as such, but the vets is always happy with his weight. He told me Murphy doesn't have such a noticeable waist as he's so long and thin. Must be nice, wish I could say the same:rolleyes:

Nicki
14th May 2009, 12:57 PM
Karlin, do you think the breeder was just giving me a line about breeding bigger Cavs to improve the breed? I know it's too late now, Brian is mine forever, but in hindsight I'm confused about size vs genetic problems. Larger nosed=better breathing which puts less pressure on the heart valve issues. Larger skulls to accommodate their brains to avoid SM. Longer legs to weed out hip dysplasia. A few more reasons, she said..

I don't think Karlin has seen this, but sadly these are **EXACTLY** the sort of excuses breeders give for producing poor specimens of the breed, and/or using other breeds. Often a Springer stud dog is used, as this gives a much bigger litter, and the puppies still look quite like Cavaliers when small.

I have seen quite a few obvious Springer/Cavalier crosses, they all tend to be long in the muzzle - the US breed standard states Length from base of stop to tip of nose about 1 inches; much bigger than breed standard - although many Cavaliers do not fit in the standard, they still shouldn't really be much above 25lb at the right weight; tend to have flecking in the coat etc.

You obviously love and treasure Brian and that's the most important thing - sharing your experience may well help other people looking for a puppy to not be misguided in this way.

samboy
19th May 2009, 03:00 AM
My sammy is just over 15kilos and has alot of flecking in his coat, could that mean he is a cross springer/cav?

chloe92us
20th May 2009, 12:19 AM
A lot of freckling on the face/ neck MAY be an indicator that there is some springer in there, but you'll really never know. There is sometimes a fluke 33 pounder/ 15 kilos, but it is definitely not the norm.

There are some breeders mixing in some Springer so they can have more pups per litter so they can make more money. Do you know how many pups were in the litter? That may be another indicator.

Most likely you just have a big Cavalier.

samboy
20th May 2009, 02:24 AM
There was 7 puppies, he was alos the largest. And he has alot of little black spots on his neck and back where it should be all white. Im not sure if that is what freckling is.

chloe92us
20th May 2009, 03:36 AM
The average litter size of a Cavalier is 4 puppies. The average litter size of a Springer Spaniel is 7 puppies.

I'm just posting the info...*not* assuming anything about your baby. ;)

chloe92us
20th May 2009, 03:41 AM
Here's a pic of an English Springer. See the "freckles" on his legs and face?

http://www.breederretriever.com/photopost/data/606/springer.jpg

samboy
20th May 2009, 04:35 AM
yeah his got black spots which are kinda similar, but not as defined, even if he was cross bred, we have had him for 5 years and i really wouldnt trade him for anything. However i do think he looks like all the others just bigger.
I will put some pictures up when i figure out how to.

Rumor
20th May 2009, 03:41 PM
My 3 are all different. Remus is pretty large. Leopold is small & Loki is long and lean. The big guy, Remus, looks most like a standard Cavalier. If not for his size he could give any of the show dogs I've seen a run for their money.

hwowen
20th May 2009, 08:00 PM
I've been thinking Japser looks far far chunkier in bone structure than other (mainly female ) cavs I've seen. They look reallly delicate & refined by comparison. He looks like a real common jack!! He's also really tough & hardy ... more like a gun-dog than a lap dog. We'll never know if he's a full cav & I'm not that bothered so long as he stays healthy.

Susanna
21st May 2009, 03:22 PM
My sammy is just over 15kilos and has alot of flecking in his coat, could that mean he is a cross springer/cav?

This sounds like my Brian. I'm in the car now, but when I get home I'll take some photos and post. He has freckles on his nose, legs and belly. I don't know how many were in his litter, but I'm going to try to find out today. I never saw his parents, but was told they were both Cavs. Not that it matters, but I'm really very curious now.

For now, judging from his pic in my avatar, does his nose look too long to be pure Cav?

Susanna
21st May 2009, 09:51 PM
9 months and 5 days old as of today.
28 lbs
15.5 inches high at the rump
24 inches long from front crown to tail base
2 inches from base to tip of nose

I registered Brian today with DRA (Dog Registry of America), and his pedigree and birth certificate will be sent to me. Then maybe the mystery of why my baby is so big will be solved.

Brian is in the middle.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/nonamejustme/2008_0721brian521090046.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/nonamejustme/2008_0721brian521090063.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/nonamejustme/2008_0721brian521090052.jpg

Belly freckles
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/nonamejustme/2008_0721brian521090059.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/nonamejustme/2008_0721brian521090053.jpg

Leg freckles
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/nonamejustme/2008_0721brian521090055.jpg

brotymo
21st May 2009, 10:09 PM
Well, the Dog Registry of America was a dead giveaway. I wouldn't send my money in and waste it on a DRA registration. Don't feel bad. My Pixie was registered with the "continental kennel club". You can't even trust the registry since they allow you to register dogs that do not have any documentation. Some allow you to send in photos of your dogs as "proof" that they are the breed you are claiming and will let you create a registration that way. There is no way to know what the ancestry of your dog is when they are registered with a registry such as DRA. Those are the favorite registries of puppy millers or sometimes back yard breeders (though many BYB's will actuallyuse the AKC).
I think your boy does look like he has some springer in him perhaps. He is a lovely boy, though, and I know he will bring you great happiness!

Aileen
21st May 2009, 10:10 PM
he is beautiful:l*v:
---Aileenand the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Susanna
21st May 2009, 10:18 PM
Well, the Dog Registry of America was a dead giveaway. I wouldn't send my money in and waste it on a DRA registration.

I think your boy does look like he has some springer in him perhaps. He is a lovely boy, though, and I know he will bring you great happiness!

:lol::sl*p: Too late! As of about an hour ago, the DRA has my money! Gee, I have a lot to learn. I saw Dog Registry of America, and thought "this sounds legit." I should have known better when I read they accepted photos as proof. Anyway, I don't care what he is, he's makes me so happy. But does it matter if I find out he's mixed, I mean may I still post here?

he is beautiful:l*v:
---Aileenand the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Thank you! It's hard to get him to stay still for a picture!

Nicki
21st May 2009, 10:23 PM
But does it matter if I find out he's mixed, I mean may I still post here?

Of course you can still post here :D we look forward to hearing more about your boy and watching him grow up.

He is lucky to have such a dedicated and caring owner.

I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way about breeders, but the important thing is that you have learnt, and hopefully others will learn too.

brotymo
21st May 2009, 11:41 PM
he is a beautiful boy and no less special than anyone elses cavvy babies here. Do stay. My Pixie was the light of my life, and I couldnt have cared less if she was mixed with hamster. I'd give 1000 finely bred show cavs up for the chance to have my sweet puppy mill Pixie back again. Just live, learn, and when you get the uncontrollable urge for another cav, you will know what to do!

chloe92us
22nd May 2009, 04:32 AM
Of course you can post here! There are lots of people on this forum whose dogs come from indiscriminate backgrounds. All of mine but one are "poor breds"- Winn weighs 32 pounds and could very well have something else mixed in there, although he is AKC registered. It really means nothing. Ollie looks like he could part daschund (spelling?) Don't worry, as long as you learn for next time, ALL that matters is that you love Brian and he brings you all the joys Cavaliers are known for!

Forgot to add, he's a real cutie!

Love my Cavaliers
22nd May 2009, 03:08 PM
Susanna - I think Oliver and Brian must be related! Oliver is big - he weighs 26 pounds now, but has been up to 32 at one point. He is well over 15 inches at his shoulders and he has the same freckling that Brian has on his legs, his nose, his belly, actually everywhere Oliver has white, he has freckling. I got him from a backyard breeder before I knew the dangers of that and I've always felt that he has some sloppy breeding in his background. But, like you, I would never give him up and I love him as much as my undeniably pure-bred cavaliers. He was my first cavi and led me to get three others. After Oliver, I couldn't get enough of the breed. I also happen to love his freckles. Gives him a little character.