• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leaving on vacation next week...

Masterofsparks

h*lph*lpMy wife and I are traveling to Key West, Florida next week for seven days and as the time gets closer I am feeling terrible about leaving Yoko! We have a house sitter and she has two small friendly dogs which I think will be a good thing to help socialize her even more but I feel like heck leaving her! How did you guys cope with this!
We have her a sister arriving two days after we return and there are just going to be a lot of changes coming up in her little life!!
Or am I just being silly...

There was another discussion on this in the past few days. Rest assured she will have a great time with some playmates and hard as it is for our egos, we pine for them while they really have life as normal. She will be delighted to see you when you return but is unlikely to be even remotely upset that you have gone. This is a reality I know from direct personal experience, repeated over and over and over: in all the time I have done rescue, with all the dogs fostered out and rehomed, boarded in kennels or home boarding, I have not had a SINGLE dog that pined away for missing owners -- including my own NOT spending more than about three minutes concerned that I have left. :lol:

Many here will know how deeply attached Jaspar is to me and how he goes berserk if I am out of sight -- he does the classic 'Karlin shriek' if he knows I am leaving... but I also know (because various friends of mine board/kennel him) that if I leave him for boarding, this lasts all of about two minutes then he is off having a great time exploring, running around the house and garden, playing with other dogs.

So believe me -- Jaspar is an extreme case of a closely bonded dog. If he gets over things that fast, I can guarantee other dogs won't be much different.

It is good for dogs to be comfortable staying with other people and not to have to need their owners around constantly. And they will NOT be sitting pining for you while you are away :lol: -- so leave her and go enjoy yourself on your trip. It is different if the dog spends so much time in boarding that it has little time with its owner, but the occasional holiday time away is no big deal to a dog at all.

IMHO there is no more pointless waste of time than worrying that a dog is bereft when we go away whether it be for a day, a week or a couple of weeks. They will do perfectly fine. :) You just end up ruining your lovely holiday while they are off playing, sleeping, eating and having their life as normal without a concern. Go and enjoy!

Karlin;
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! Yoko is a daddies girl and whines like crazy when I go upstairs for a short while.....my wife thinks it pathetic LOL Yoko is much more bonded to me than my wife so that is probably while I am / was feeling guilty!
I am sure that once I get on the plane and have my first cocktail things will feel better! LOL
I never thought I would be this way, folks think of me as a hard case but this little girl has sure taken my heart!!

I usually fret a bit about leaving the dogs when we go on vacation. However, like you said, once you're on that plane and bound for a fun time, I forget about my babies!! Well, not truly forget, but I don't worry about them. They're always happy to see my friend when she comes to stay with them and they forget that I'm not around. The best of both worlds - I'm having a good time and so are they!

Back