• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cesar Milan takes on Puppy Mills tonight

I am so glad that puppy mills are being exposed. I just pray that the exposure makes a difference to this horrific situation....

Just watched the episode and it was heartbreaking....
I know that my dogs came from homes that they were one single mating pair and were raised in homes. I can not imagine the puppy factories where the mothers have six litters in three years........unimaginable.

Any highlighting of the puppy farm issue is to be welcomed. (y)

It is good to keep in mind though that it is also the case that terrible irresponsible breeding can be done by those with few dogs, and excellent breeding practice by good breeders with a dozen or more.

There are many reputable health focused breeders who keep numerous dogs and there are terrible breeders who keep a few 'dogs that are part of our family' but breed in a very exploitative way, only to make money on a puppy market, having done no adequate testing at all -- not following the MVD protocol, not MRI scanning, no hip scoring, no proper eye testing... and being absolutely ignorant about the complex genetics of dog breeding.

I would also never trust simply visiting the breeder and seeing if the house and home looks acceptable because many mass breeders simply bring in the dog(s) for the visit or even bring them from the puppy farm setting elsewhere and dupe buyers into thinking the dogs live as family pets. So it can be difficult -- the pointers you often read about seeing the mother and visiting the breeder are really only basic starting points, not guidelines to an acceptable breeder. :dogwlk:

For anyone trying to filter out breeders, I recommend following this approach:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=26677

Shopping for dogs on the basis of low price or from a pet shop are the likeliest ways to end up with a puppy farm dog (ironically people who buy from pet shops often pay exorbitant prices -- equal or far higher than a puppy from a health focused show breeder -- for mass produced, cage-bred puppy mill dogs... :( ...).

Back