• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jumping on people

dyrojo

My little Charlie is 5 and a half months now and is very well trained. When we're out in the park if he's off the lead and there are people around he always wants to run and jump up on them. I hate having to keep him on the lead when there are too many people around but unfortunately not everybody is as keen to have a little cavalier come jump on them as I!
Does anyone else have the same problem or any suggestions? I'm hoping he'll grow out of it as he gets older?

He's just much to affectionate and wants to give everyone he sees a big kiss :grin:

I have the same problem with my two girls. I always walk them in the lead, otherwise they will run away to the nearest person. At "dog school" I discussed the problem with the trainer, and she said that cavaliers are completely fearless and extremely friendly - which makes off lead walking more difficult than with other dogs. I know that many of the board members have very well trained dogs, but I am afraid that I will never be able to get to that level with mine. They also want to hug and kiss everyone :D

My adult dog does this and it drives me nuts.Its worse as she is a big built cavalier too.
My pup doesnt do it to people....shes quite reserved and is very well behaved for being only 11mths.
As regards to training....I did training classes(2 lots of) with my oldest and she managed to do some things....but she is not the cleverest dog.She is not driven by food or toys and so plods by in her own wee land...lol.

Im going to try clicker training with her over the next few weeks see if that helps.Got some books from the library and a clicker too. :)

In dog class we practiced having the dogs sit (on lead) beside us and have strangers (other participants) come up to the dog to pet them. The rule was if the dog tried to jump up the people had to ignore him. Max is pretty good at that ON lead and if people want to pet him I ask them to let me get him in a sit first. Off lead I have relied on the fact that he has an excellent recall and I will call him to me if I think he is going to go and "greet" someone. At home we are just supposed to turn our back when he jumps but I have done that with limited success. He still jumps up when he wants my attention. I am determined to teach him not to jump up unless invited because I was far more lax with Mindy and it is rather inconvenient when she has muddy paws. Also not everyone enjoys being jumped upon.

This is very definitely a training issue, not something a dog will be likely to grow out of. :)

Having a dog that is trained to sit regardless of whether near you or off at a distance totally resolves this issue as does having a dog with excellent recall. Then you simply recall your dog and have the dog sit and people may approach then if desired. Or you tell the dog to sit if s/he is running towards people and to wait, then go over and retrieve or recall him/her.

This takes time and effort. There's great advice on how to train at www.dogstardaily.com

Vivian has the same problem. The trainer I worked with suggested the following. If you are jumped on while standing quickly shuffle forward while saying na-ah loudly (or no if that is what you use). Vivie will jump back and most time sit, it only takes one or two times to do this then I have a good puppy for a few days at least, but I think her memory is very short because I have relapses. Basically stick with it.

I take all three of mine to work with me, so it is absolutely *critical* that they not jump up. They all did it at first, but you have to be consistent. If they jumped on me, I said "off" and stepped back. If they jumped on other people, i said "off" and put my hand on their chest and gently pushed them back so their paws would drop. Then I put them in a sit.

It takes a few weeks. The problem is, you have to be consitent at home too. They are not allowed to jump on us either, even though WE don't mind. When I come home, I wait until I put my things down before I say hello (this teaches them not to get overly excited) and then I either sit on the floor with them, or I bend down to say hello.

Well, my brother and I own a home building business and our office is in our model home, in the garage actually. It's carpeted and air conditioned, and the dogs are my official greeters. ;) Haven't had a customer yet who had a problem with it! My fosters come too, when I have one.

Yes, I am very lucky. Before we opened our own biz 4 years ago, I was an interior designer and my boss let me bring Casey to work from the day I got her until she was 2 YO.

Glad to know it's not just him! I guess it's just gonna have to be some old fashioned hard work to (try to) get him to stop!

I was shown two methods. Say "off" and step backwards even if the feet are on your legs. Or jerk your knees forward quickly and say "off", not so you would hurt the dog but just to make it unrewarding. The second method worked for us, only needed to be shown a couple of times. Now, if he does put his paws on anyone, I just say "off" and he gets off.

Just wanted to say that I recently saw many obedient cavaliers at the national cavalier show held on Cape Cod. It was truly wonderful to see so many well trained and beautiful cavaliers. One was 16 years old.:rah:

Now I have to keep up with my training of our 10 month old.:xfngr:

Heather R

I agree with Pauline, the 'off' method does work. They do learn quickly.
The other problem is people approaching your dog. They are such a beautiful breed that they attract people and this often encourages the jumping up. Its difficult but can be done. Keep with it :xfngr:

Back