• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking at certain colour dogs.

jasperpaw

Jasper has always had this thing about barking at black dogs, I thought he had improved, but while out this morning for his walk he had `a right go` at two black Labradors on two different occasions and although he does`nt really watch the television there were four black Labradors on TV last night and he was making little noises at them. I was talking to a man with a Westie yesterday and he said his dog does`nt like black dogs. Do any other members dogs bark at certain colour dogs.

Now you have to watch how you react when you both come into contact with black dogs. A slight pull of the lead, sharp intake of breath, anything like that and he will pick up on the black dogs you are also reacting to :rolleyes:

I used to have this problem with my Cocker - asked the vet what the story was and he said it's quite common. They can't make out black dogs facial expressions properly because they are so dark and automatically treat them as a threat, with our chap it calmed a lot when we fostered a black dog but every so often he will still bark at a strange black dog.

Anna loves playing with her big Black lab cousins. :) I do know that my mum's next door neighbor has a weiton terrier who HATES black labs.

I used to have this problem with my Cocker - asked the vet what the story was and he said it's quite common. They can't make out black dogs facial expressions properly because they are so dark and automatically treat them as a threat, with our chap it calmed a lot when we fostered a black dog but every so often he will still bark at a strange black dog.
I have read about this too. We have a black labrador on our street, and his owner said he was traumatized several times as a puppy where other dogs would bark at him and want to attack him. So he grew up to be a dog who barks and attacks dogs in our neighborhood when he is off leash! (He's the one who bit our Chocolate, who happens to be black herself.)

Back