• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brian won't play with other dogs

Susanna

Brian will be 9 months old tomorrow, and I've been taking him to the dog park almost daily since he was 6 months old, but he still won't play with other dogs. He doesn't like to be sniffed, and goes into a sitting position when dogs approach him. I always pet the other dogs when they're near Brian, to show him that the dogs are friendly, but it doesn't help. The other dogs get bored with Brian, and walk away. I feel bad for Brian because he's missing out on the fun of running around with other dogs. This is with dogs his size as well as bigger dogs. He'd rather go up to the dog owners for a cuddle, or sit under their chairs and watch.

When we're alone in the park, he runs all around. Does anone else have this problem?

My Jasper has been the same as Brian, he has actually been like it since a pup, he is now just 9 yrs. He used to go to puppy classes and was not that fussed about other dogs wanting to play, he does have certain dogs he likes to see, all his size, but he soon gets bored with them, he does love to see other cavaliers. I don`t really worry that much, he just seems to be `a people dog`.

I think so Susanna, Jasper certainly seems to recognise his own breed and they always seem pleased to see him.:)

Casey couldn't care less about other dogs, never has. Ollie and Winston love everyone and everything and are the party animals :paw:

Just differences in their temperaments really, just as some people are more outgoing and social than others.

Tanner doesn't mind either way, but Whiskey is hilarious! He has to say hello to every single dog - he seems fearless until he is about 6ft away, when he drops into a crawl type position to suss out the other dog. If he is unsure he runs straight back to us. He has made friends with a male retriever to the point that when we leave he cries the whole way home!! They definitely recognise their own breed too

Dylan LOVES dogs. If we are on the other side of the road, if I don't cross the road to see a dog, he cries and whimpers bless him!

"He'd rather go up to the dog owners for a cuddle, or sit under their chairs and watch."

Susanna - this sounds just like Alice on her 1st trip to the dog park! She was scared of the other dogs, big or small, although we have 4 other dogs in our home of all sizes (16 lb westie up to a 70 lb irish setter) & she's not scared of our other dogs at all, never was even as a 6 week old puppy. On our 1st trip to the dog park Alice was nearly 5 months old and she did the same: ran around to the other "humans" and tried to hide under our chair. We sadly haven't had a chance to go back, she was spayed and then we had to wait for her stitches to come out, we are hoping to go tomorrow, it's not supposed to rain for once... The dog park is about 15 to 20 minutes away from us and we don't always get to go as often as we'd like, in nice weather we ty to go every weekend, but we have had a busy spring this year with lots of rain also... I am hoping Alice gets braver as we take her there more often, but your story doesn't encourage me.... we'll see I guess.... You'd think they would start to enjoy it more & be more social after awhile.... :confused:

Tawna

Maddie is like this. It's not that she's scared or timid, she just doesn't play with other dogs (apart from Pippin at home). She loves people though, and I think it's as someone has already said, they all have their own personalities. Having said that, there is definitely some breed recognition because she's always happy to meet other cavaliers.
Pippin on the other hand thinks every dog in the world is his friend. He used to go past food to meet other dogs, he's a bit more under control these days. :jmp2: Unlike Maddie his "thing" isn't for other cavaliers, it's for other B&T dogs. Just as well all the Rotties, Dobermans and GSD around here so far have been very friendly! He doesn't play much with bigger bouncy dogs because he is aware of the difference in size, but if they just want to run around he will.

You may just have to accept that Brian is a people person, rather than a doggy person. :)

J loves to see other doggies on our walks but is always a bit unsure if the other dog gets a bit jumpy. He loves his own though and will run to any other cavalier that he sees.
We have a new pug puppy on our street, little frank, and it is funny, J just does not like him when he is out on the street but loves to go and look for him when he is in the garden behind the fence.
I always comment to my husband how funny it is that on our daily walk i know all the names of the other doggies but not the owners! The funniest one i have came across is a dear oldn with a Jack russell cross called missy but he calls her the hussy and it is so true, as soon as she sees J she rolls on her back :luv:

My cavaliers love other... cavaliers! :lotsaluv: I think they recognize their own kind.

I used to take mine to a small dog play group, and India would spend all her time being affectionate to the humans, while Geordie had a little Pug girlfriend, Isabella, who liked to lick his face. :wggle: This was before we had Chocs.

My Yorkshire Terrier hates not only other dogs but people, we believe it because when she was younger she was not well socialized. My Cavalier loves other dogs and people to the fact where the other dog may just want him to stop sniffing and playing. It may take a while for your pup to get used to other dogs, and you may want to keep going to the parks, and maybe pet stores so get him better socialized. I hope these words help, but if not I'm sorry.

Ok, it's confirmed. My Brian is a Cavalier snob.

We went to a Cav meet on Saturday at a dog park. There were about 10 other Cavs there, and also 2 small dogs of other breeds. Brian just walked around, sniffed, but basically was uninterested. As soon as the other two dogs left, he became so playful, running around and instigating play with the other Cavs! He really does recognize and prefer his own kind! I don't know if there's anything I can do to change this, but I'll continue taking him out amongst other breeds of dogs.

i used to worry about Peaches like that, she not only doesnt play with other dogs but not with toys either, occasionally she will play bow to me and we will have a bit of a play.

If we meet other dogs she will want to say hello to the humans.

when i asked the rescue about it they said but she is fine with other dogs she was brought up round hundreds. i came to the conclusion that she was sick and tired of other dogs. she is now very much a mummies girl but will also cover daddy in licks.

as long as she is happy and healthy i decided not to worry and just enjoy being the centre of her world.

as long as she is happy and healthy i decided not to worry and just enjoy being the centre of her world.

Do you worry that Peaches is missing out on the fun of playing with other dogs? I think I have issues with comparing Brian to a child, a child who doesn't play with other kids or who is very selective with who he plays with. Maybe I need a trip to the psychiatrist!

i did, but i have seen her when a dog gets really pushy about playing, she has snapped and also is obviously terrified. she is obviously happy and thats as much as i can ask for her.

i know what you mean about humanising them but in a way it works there as well. i don't like being around alot of people and spend most of my time alone. but i am happy and that is all that counts.

Thank you for your response, I feel better. You said it, as long as they, and we, are happy!

well from the snoring noise coming from the kitchen she's happy :D

she has a separate bed in there for when i am working on my jewelery and didnt stir when i popped in here for a break.

Back