• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back from the vet

Katelyn

Scarlett has been having more and more SM like symptoms lately and I brought her to the vet yesterday. He emptied her anal glands and said that was probably where the scooting was coming from then I told her about the constant scratching at her head and yelping etc and he found a big matted clump of fur behind her ear (I hadnt even noticed it :shock:) it was kind of buried under her ear and he shaved that off and said it would have been itching at her and annoying her. He gave her a shot then im not actually sure what it was and told me to come back if she was still scratching. She urinated in the house that night for the first time since she was a puppy but apart from that she hasnt been scratching and has been far less agitated...hopefully thats all it was?

Poor Scarlett. Hopefully it is just an ear infection and she's scratching from the irritation.Cavaliers can be very prone to ear trouble if ear mites get in. Don't worry too much yet. Your vet will need evidence of something other than ear scratching to warrant sending her for a scan.
It's sensible to rule out regular common infections which can set a cavalier scratching at it's ear. Our little lady is on Surolan ear drops to see if it will stop her tearing at her ear,they can ruin the look of their ears if they scratch the fur into clumps they can end up having a lot of hair cut out.
Record the scratching sessions for your vet on your phone or camera.This way he/she can get an idea if it's just benign scratching.
Sins

Hair matts can be very painful when they get large or close to the skin. It would feel like someone is pulling her hair hard all the time with no way to relieve the pain. The most likely places for hair matting in cavaliers is behind the ears, backs of the upper hind legs, and front leg area close to the body.

Have you seen an improvement? If not, as Sins says, it could be an ear infection, or it could also be PSOM which causes pain as well.

Hope she feels better! :flwr:

I wonder if the injection was a steroid (dexamethasone?) Only, when Maddie had one last year she had an accident in the house that night, but not since. Steroids can make your dog more thirsty and make them urinate more. Just a thought.icon_nwunsure

I hope she's ok and the symptoms don't re-appear.

Back