• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question for those with dogs on Gabapentin

sugarkane74

Star's on 300 mg of Gabapentin a day at the moment and seems to be the trick but the last few days she has been scratching again. Not on walks but just around the house. She probably does it about 3/ times a day and I'm worried that maybe her symptoms are getting worse.

She doesn't do anything else, no other signs that I can see but obviously as she has SM am worried that the scratching may be a sign that it's progressing. Am gonna check her ears to make sure it's not mites or any matts but other than that can anyone suggest anything?

Am going to keep an eye on it over the next few days and if it doesn't stop contact the Animal Health Trust where she was diagnosed.

Is she only on gabapentin? Id maybe ask about adding in one of the CSF inhibitors like frusemide or cimetidine?

Leo always scratched a small bit still on gabapentin though that has increased and now I am upping his gabapentin dose. He's on 300xmg total, 100 3x daily; and I will up him to 150mg. I wouldn't worry too much about some mild scratching but worth checking in with your own neurologist.

Gabapentin

Hi, charlie was diagnosed in January & was put on 600mg a day of Gabapentin, 2x3times a day. The change in him has been just wonderful, hes like a puppy again, so full of energy. He is 7yrs now & I had him checked at the vets just yesterday & he was really pleased with him. I have tried reducing the dose but within a day , hes scratching & in pain.I would say the only real change in him since he went on the treatment, is that hes a bit more excitable, but in a happy way! Good luck to all who are coping with this awful disease.

Tommy is on 100mg x 3 daily.
He does have some days when he seems a little uncomfortable, a little scratching & face rubbing, but more just restlessness and demanding attention by scratching at my legs ( painful ). I think this can be triggered by the change of weather & air pressure.
I find that adding a carprodyl ( Rimadyl ) tablet to his meals for a couple of days usually helps get him through these periods.

Margaret C

Thank you for the replies... she seems fine at the moment, just the odd scratch but nothing to worry about at the moment. Obviously will keep an eye on it and if it should get worse will contact the neurologists or my vet.

Still not sure if she should be on anything other than gabapentin... the neurologist didn't seem to think so, so guess I should trust their judgement.

Back