PDA

View Full Version : baxter getting xrayed!

coconut
19th May 2009, 09:34 AM
Poor baxter is having an xray today as he has being have periods of pain and the vets are trying to figure out what the problem is!!

harleyfarley
19th May 2009, 09:43 AM
good luck, hope the diagnoses isnt too bad, let us know the outcome, di

*Pauline*
19th May 2009, 09:50 AM
Where is the pain? I hope you get some answers today. Will he be sedated or put out?

coconut
19th May 2009, 10:03 AM
at the bottom off his back and legs, they put him on painkillers for 2 wks but they are not working great!! yeah he will be sedated!

*Pauline*
19th May 2009, 10:05 AM
What time is he going in? I'll be thinking of you both. :hug:

coconut
19th May 2009, 10:08 AM
he is in since 9 this morning and i will collect him after 4!

Karlin
19th May 2009, 10:42 AM
Oh I am sorry to hear this about poor Baxter. :( Let us know as soon as he's out and OK and you hear anything.

sins
19th May 2009, 10:42 AM
Good luck and I hope whatever the problem is that can get to the cause of it.
Sins

tupup
19th May 2009, 11:25 AM
Good luck i do hope they get to the back of it & that Baxter is as good as new when you get him back,I'll be keeping fingers crossed for you as we both have a long day :hug:

coconut
19th May 2009, 03:34 PM
am a bit worried now, vets rang and said not to come til 4.50 cos the vet is gone to get a second opinion!

harleyfarley
19th May 2009, 04:02 PM
hmmm could mean somethings wrong, and hopefully they can do something to put it right, lets hope so, i hate things like this, it might be nothing :) let hop so, be sure and post when you get back, even if its later and dont feel much like it, di

coconut
19th May 2009, 04:14 PM
just wish it was time already!

harleyfarley
19th May 2009, 05:33 PM
any news?:o

coconut
19th May 2009, 05:59 PM
he has femoral head osteotomy- degenerative joint disease. he needs to be operated on

harleyfarley
19th May 2009, 06:34 PM
well least it operable i suppose, and at only a year old, doesnt seem possible does it. :( di

coconut
19th May 2009, 06:37 PM
sorry that really needs to be updated he is 2 1/2 now!

brotymo
19th May 2009, 07:11 PM
oh no, I am so sorry. What do they do for that?
It is good you are not the type of owner to let him continue like he is without finding out what is wrong and doing what you can to help him.

sins
19th May 2009, 07:11 PM
Even so,to be told a dog of that age has degenerative joint disease is a shocker. The femoral head osteotomy is the surgical procedure to treat the pain.
Does Baxter have hip dysplasia or what details did the vet give?
Any chance of getting a a second opinion just to be sure to be sure??
Sins

Karlin
19th May 2009, 07:18 PM
I talked to Coconut and her vets are sure -- it is a pretty bad case of hip dysplasia from all sounds of it based on the xray, but just in the one hip. I checked some info and apparently there's a good success rate for surgery for this condition. The key thing the vets say is not to wait til the leg loses muscle tone and if there's pain that is not responding to medication, vets seem to recommend surgery. Baxter's in enough discomfort that he can't be walked now so this seems the right option for him.

sins
19th May 2009, 07:50 PM
In that case we'll wish Baxter all the best for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. First priority is to ensure he has a pain free life:).
Sins

tupup
19th May 2009, 07:57 PM
Ditto to sins. i hope you are copeing,thinking of you:hug:

Sabby
19th May 2009, 10:41 PM
Sound like you have a good vet and they recognised the problem straight away. Nothing worse when you donít really know whatís wrong.
:xfngr: everything goes ok with the operation.

Lots of :hug::hug:for you and Baxter.

Cathy Moon
20th May 2009, 01:08 AM
We're thinking of you and Baxter, and hoping for the very best outcome. :flwr:

coconut
20th May 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the support guys, was not on line last night as having a bad wk my bro crashed on his way to work and he is in a bad way wit his back he has to be operated on today!!!

i am going to ring my vets today and get more info like -

how long will recovery be??

What about other joints?

Anyone think of any other questions! it is clear from the xray that it is bad i could see it when i walked into the room! Baxter is on a course of painkillers for 2 wks already and saturday gone the pain started to come through again! the vet said that when she was moving or pulling his legs when he was sedated and when the infected one was touched he jump off the table so there is alot of pain there! i could not see him in pain, vets have told me that he will live normally after he has the operation and that is what i want!!

i want the fun like baxter back!!!

Thanks again guys!

Dublin
20th May 2009, 09:16 AM
Poor Baxter, when will he have his surgery? He should recover well at his age & then you'll have the old Baxter back in no time!

Sorry to hear about your brother too- I hope he's ok & his op goes well today.

coconut
20th May 2009, 09:39 AM
Rang the vets this morning and asked her a fewe questions, so they wanna go ahead with it as soon as possible ie this wk!!

She said that the recovery depends on the dog and that baxter is a happy little dog and once he is monitored and cared for it should be fine!

sins
20th May 2009, 10:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your brother too,you have had a rough day:hug:
There are brilliant spine surgeons out there at the moment and I'm sure he'll make a great recovery too.
Sins

Justine
20th May 2009, 11:39 AM
Hope all goes well,our lab hips went and he was to old to operate on.Its good in one sense he is still young.

coconut
20th May 2009, 01:34 PM
Thats terrible justine that he was too old!!

Baxter has youth on his side hopefully!! He is going in tomorrow for about 9!

Margaret C
20th May 2009, 05:14 PM
Good luck to Baxter.

I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow.

Margaret C

brotymo
20th May 2009, 05:38 PM
I will be thinking of you and Baxter and your brother. I hope al goes well. Please update us!

coconut
20th May 2009, 07:51 PM
thanks all!!! the thoughts of tomorrow is killing me but i know that it is the right thing for baxter.

tupup
20th May 2009, 10:46 PM
We'll have our fingers & paws crossed for you tomorrow, good luck & i really hope Baxter is back to his old fun self very soon. In the meantime please keep us updated & :hug: take care
So sorry to hear about your brother too

Ste
21st May 2009, 11:36 PM
Only seeing this now, I hope everything went well today :hug:

Karlin
22nd May 2009, 12:45 AM
Me too, and hope your brother is also doing better -- that's been an awful lot of bad news for one week. :flwr:

coconut
22nd May 2009, 01:06 PM
Well it turns out that they are not going to the operation on baxter now as he has luxating patella and they would like to fix this first as it would affect his recovery in a big way!! So he has being sent home and is to take Metacam for the time being!