• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What should I do?

susandavis1

Apologies if I post this in the wrong area, I'm not really sure where it belongs.

I have an issue but don't really know what I can do about it. My mother in law has a nephew who is bredding Cavs very irresponsibly. The female dog has just had her 3rd litter of puppies in 18 months. The male dog is a direct relative of the female although I am unsure if it is father-daughter breeding or brother-sister breeding. The male and female dogs live together in the family home. While the puppies are being brought to a vet for their shots, they are not being health screened. In each litter, 5 or 6 puppies have been born and have been sold for somewhere between €400 and €500 each. My mother in law has mentioned to them that this is irresponsible breeding but the owners are unconcerned. I have considered contacting the kennel club but they are registering each litter of puppies and issuing their registration papers so it seems they are also unconcerned. The dogs are not in a puppy farm situation or particulary bad conditions but I don't believe the owners plan to stop after this litter.

My question is, what should I do?

Sue

its this sort of breeding thats got cavs where they are today, they might be prefectly healthy, if i was a buyer id want them tested for heart, eyes, & sm, but im more knowledgable now then i was when i got harley, he is from heart and eye tested dogs, because thats what was suggested you do. It would be good if the kennel club would only issue certificates to those breeding responsably and followig protocal.

A lot has to do with the buyers not insisting on testing and whilst they can sell the puppies easily enough they wont bother. How old are the breeding dogs, they might be perfectly healthy they wont know until they get older.

Well you can start by reporting them for avoidance of tax and VAT to Revenue. You can do this anonymously. Discovering their income halves and they must pay VAT even though they didn't charge it is one sharp useful shock for people breeding like this. I will PM you some info. They should owe revenue around €3000-6000 I should think and might face an audit as a result of a report.

Unfortunately breeding like this doesn't violate any ethics rules though it will exhaust their bitch and make her more prone to serious complications including death during future pregnancies as she is not even being given the time to properly recover and regain full health and strength. That said they can only breed her three more times EVER and still get IKC registration.

See:

http://ikc.ie/index.php?id=43&Itemid=60

I shall not mate from any bitch kept by me (a) under one year of age, (b) or over eight years of age, (c) for not more than six litters, (d) or dogs over the age of twelve years. Permission must be sought and granted by the Irish Kennel Club to exceed these provisions.

The CKCS Club in Ireland takes virtually no interest in promoting health in the breed and the KC is happy to avoid challenging them.

That's why I and many others would like to see breeding regulations come into place. We have a disgusting reputation as a global puppy farm location and whether many or a single dog is overbred and irresponsibly bred like this, it all demolishes the breed.

Thanks Karlin, any information would be great. I had not thought of reporting them to the revenue. While it might not stop them breeding, it may make them a bit more hesitant. Fingers crossed. At least, I will I have tried something.

Many thanks
Sue

This is so unfortunate. While the dam and sire might be 'happy?' their pups won't ever be 100% because they could have some unseen illness.

Back