• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Femoral Head Osteotomy

coconut

Anyone else have a doggie that has gone through this operation, baxter is getting this done to treat a Degenerative joint diease in his hip ie hip dyslasia!!

He is being operated on tomorrow!

Any information on how ur doggie recovered would be brilliant!

I havent had a dog go through it but just wanted to wish you both all the best for the op tomorrow - good luck guys xxx

Yes! My Aston had the surgery in December of 2008. The key is the rehabilitation-it is the most important part of the recovery. After the surgery, he'll be able to walk but will need to be crated or kept close to you-no jumping, running, etc. After about a week, they will let you start brief (3-4 minute) walks and should also show you some exercises that will help his range of motion that you can do at home. My surgeon recommended me taking him in for physical theraphy which I did twice a week for 3 months and it helped so much. You can also do exercises with them in the tub, fill it up with water just below the height of your pup then put a towel under his belly and lift him up a bit so he can "swim" in the tub water. Mine was not so sure about it at first but he ended up loving it and got excited everytime the bath water was running. Almost 6 months later he is totally fine, walks fine, runs fine and is his old self. If you have any questions, just let me know! Good Luck!

Yes! My Aston had the surgery in December of 2008. The key is the rehabilitation-it is the most important part of the recovery. After the surgery, he'll be able to walk but will need to be crated or kept close to you-no jumping, running, etc. After about a week, they will let you start brief (3-4 minute) walks and should also show you some exercises that will help his range of motion that you can do at home. My surgeon recommended me taking him in for physical theraphy which I did twice a week for 3 months and it helped so much. You can also do exercises with them in the tub, fill it up with water just below the height of your pup then put a towel under his belly and lift him up a bit so he can "swim" in the tub water. Mine was not so sure about it at first but he ended up loving it and got excited everytime the bath water was running. Almost 6 months later he is totally fine, walks fine, runs fine and is his old self. If you have any questions, just let me know! Good Luck!

Thanks for all of the information, i will defo be looking for more if u don't mind!! God i am so embrassed brought him to the vets this morning and started to cry uncontrolably half of it is hormones and the other half is worry!! Girl in the vet is great she knows that i cry about everything since i got pregnant!

:hug::hug::hug: Dont worry hun your boy will be home soon with you & very soon will be running around like a mad thing again!

Most of us would be the same! Just thinking of you both and once the surgery is over things can only get better from there.
Sins

Harley may have to have this done later on, so i would appreciate if you post details as and when they occur, it would help and others if we have to do this. Harley has hip dyplasia, in that the ball socket isnt located in the socket and has grown out side. We did see a surgeon regarding a hip replacement and he wasnt sure that harleys condition warrented such a major op. How old is your dog, harley is 3. di

Thanks all!! vet rang awhile ago and he is not even operated on yet as they were doing more tests and xrays!! Hopefully will know something soon!

they decided that they are not going to operate as he is not bad enough! the head of the practice rang me yesterday evening so i have to go collect him now and i will know more then!

Well it turns out that they are not going to the operation on baxter now as he has luxating patella and they would like to fix this first as it would affect his recovery in a big way!! So he has being sent home and is to take Metacam for the time being!

I'm sorry to hear this,to endure all the stress for nothing.Still, the most important thing is the overall success of the treatment and if the patella must be sorted first, then so be it.
Try to relax for the weekend.
Sins

Poor little Baxter. I hope everything goes well for him and that all his issues are sorted out. At least he won't be in too much pain now they know what's wrong.

:flwr:

Ah jeez, all that & then they send him home with more pain relief! I hope they didnt charge you for having him overnight?

Back