PDA

View Full Version : Do you put clothes on your dogs??

luvhavinbgtwins
22nd May 2009, 02:15 AM
I have one shirt but he doesnt wear cuz its warm now ..but I thought during the winter...Rex is 9.4 lbs and will be 5 months on the 1st...
A pet store has tons of winter cloths for 75% off and I thoght of maybe getting a sweater or jacket....what do you think....what size do you think I should or could get?

You should of seen the swimsuits they just brought in for boys and girls I couldnt believe it they where so cute....maybe I might get one at the end of the year when they clearance them LOL!:thnku:

Brenda in SC
22nd May 2009, 02:37 AM
Nope, we don't do the ensemble thing. I do have a weatherproof coat that I put on Rudy on really cold nasty days - altho he prob is fine, it makes me feel better knowing he's got a little extra over the 'fur' coat.

brotymo
22nd May 2009, 05:00 AM
I think it is way too warm here where I live for clothes. I have used the onsies to keep their "parts" covered up when Lizzie was in heat to give an extra layer of protection from them getting together, but that wasn't for any other purpose.

mellie
22nd May 2009, 06:03 AM
Yep... I have to admit it! Bella and Koda (my 70 lb chow mix!) both have tons of clothes! They don't wear them in the late spring or summer when its warm. Just winter time. They both have raincoats to keep them from getting soaked when they go out in the rain. Booties as well, it helps keep the mud out of Bella's slippers! Bella gets cold easily, she will shiver and shake when she goes out in the cold. So she has several coats and Pj's. They are just so cute! I know a lot of people thinks it crazy to dress up their pets, but to each their own! :D One more thing I have to admit... Bella has a bikini! Admitting you have a problem is the first step.. right? icon_whistling hehe!

Ciren
22nd May 2009, 08:33 AM
i have coats for Peaches cause when i first got her, her coat was so thin the first sign of rain and she would shiver. she probably doesnt need them now but i like to be sure.

tupup
22nd May 2009, 09:57 AM
Yup im afraid i do tooicon_blshing i havnt for a while tho due to her SM but rubes has 4 baskets full of different things,warm coats,waterproof coats,booties-never used,pj's, a dressing gown for after her bath,& sweat shirt type for autumn time.When i got her she had never been walked before at 4years of age so shivered& looked pained in the cold,i remember once taking her out *naked* for 15mins & it took an hour before she stopped shivering,bless.
The thing about sizes is youve no way of knowing his size in advance so youre probably best getting things (cheaply!)as he fits them or you could waste a lot of cash!Rubes was so skinny when i got her that within a few months they didnt fit her.Good luck keeping Rex still whilst you measure him lol!!

brotymo
22nd May 2009, 11:44 AM
i have coats for Peaches cause when i first got her, her coat was so thin the first sign of rain and she would shiver. she probably doesnt need them now but i like to be sure.

I have to backtrack and admit that Pixie had a couple cute sweaters. When we got her, she also had a thin coat and seemed to get chilly. I felt she needed them. Bandit and Lizzie never had that problem. They were fluffy as bunnies.

Ciren
22nd May 2009, 12:10 PM
slight side note, her coats are a damn site easier to clean when she's been rolling :D

sins
22nd May 2009, 01:14 PM
No, the only clothing I would consider for a dog would be waterproofs so she could get a quick walk in the winter.She really objects to getting her precious fur damp.I must find some before the winter,although knowing Irish summers she'll probably need them by mid June:p
Sins

Susanna
22nd May 2009, 02:58 PM
I don't, but if I had a girl, I probably would. There are some very cute girly doggie clothes out there!

ilsamom
22nd May 2009, 03:11 PM
Yes, my Ilsa is a fashion plate. She has sweaters, coats - including one fake fur with a lovely sequins trim. She also has two formal gowns, in my avatar you can see a bit of one of them, it's black velvet and gold. She gets quite cold in the winter and shivers a bit so I do think it's worth it. I've tried booties for the snow, ice and salt but she hated them and pulled them off her paws. Oh well.

Jen and Ilsa

Love my Cavaliers
22nd May 2009, 05:35 PM
I have never put any clothing on any of my dogs. There is something attractive though about some type of winter jacket if it would keep the snowballs off their fur. I couldn't ever imagine putting booties on them - imagine putting 16 booties (4 dogs) on every time they wanted to go out!!

Mom of Jato
22nd May 2009, 05:47 PM
I think my family would disown me if I tried to dress up the dogs. :(
They each have a coat for winter when it gets below 0 here though. That's as far as I'm allowed to go with clothing.

kmatt
22nd May 2009, 06:09 PM
I think my family would disown me if I tried to dress up the dogs. :(
They each have a coat for winter when it gets below 0 here though. That's as far as I'm allowed to go with clothing.

I'm with you MoJ, my family would crucify me if I went out and bought loads of lovely things for my precious Anna. She does have a life jacket and 2 sweaters, one heavy and one light. That is about it, and I HAD to justify those to the fam. :mad: Maybe someday I'll get some more, just I also don't like all those frilly clothes. If it isn't usable or needed I don't really want it. Anna is aready beautiful enough, the only reason we put her in those is so that she can be warm and make the other dogs not feel so bad about themselves.icon_whistling

stacy710
22nd May 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm guilty. I've told my daughter and son-in-law that this is what happens when I dont have grandchildren to dress up .......

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1537

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1538

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1540

katc10
22nd May 2009, 10:15 PM
We have a little rain jacket for rainy days, and they each have a fleece shirt for when we visit home in the snow. Other than that we don't put them in clothes.

kmatt
22nd May 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm guilty. I've told my daughter and son-in-law that this is what happens when I dont have grandchildren to dress up .......

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1537

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1538

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1540

I don't think the pics showed up. :(

jld
22nd May 2009, 11:27 PM
Stacy, your babies look adorable in their outfits......:o

stacy710
23rd May 2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks, these were their Easter dresses. Here are a few more.....

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1596

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=178&pictureid=1595

AliceAbbyBellaDaphne
23rd May 2009, 02:12 AM
Awww, Stacy those dresses are cute!!!

I admit I do dress Alice up on occasion. We got her really young at 6 weeks just b4 Christmas. It was cold + she was shivering = we got her a little sweater. :o ($7 at Walmart)
Then she hated the rain + hated getting wet = we got her a rain coat at Old Navy. (She hates it though = waste of $15 - I think they have them on clearance now a lot cheaper... of course! :x)
Then we found this really cute dress on clearance at Walmart, only $5, it was pink with 3 layers, she wore it everywhere while it fit her and got lots of compliments.... :D

We also hit the post Christmas jackpot at Walmart - Got Alice a Christmas sweater, fancy holiday dress and t-shirt - all for about $1.50 a piece, they were 75% off... ;) (Can't wait for Christmas!)
Then we got her a pink dress with little brown hearts and a brown ribbon bow post Valentines day at Petsmart for $3. The dress is still a bit big, I may just alter it a little, it drags on the ground a little...

Notice how I justify buying clothes for Alice by bragging about how little I paid for them??? :D I'm sure my family thinks I am crazy but Alice is my first little female dog and I am enjoying the cute little dresses!!! My Irish Setter has a pirate costume for Halloween & our local Pirate Festival, she also has a Fairy Princess costume, I actually bought that for my Goldendoodle, but she had a weird hot spot/foot infection at Halloween and couldn't go anywhere... You can see our family pics if you want at the website below, there are some pics of Alice and the reast of our herd, including some good ones of the Irish Setter, Ruby, in her Halloween duds...

http://thechanceyherd.shutterfly.com/

Tawna

*Pauline*
23rd May 2009, 02:36 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/3152895795_eb3eae48b9.jpg

stacy710
23rd May 2009, 04:26 AM
Dylan has the same PJs. He looks adorable. Does he like wearing them?Mine love theirs.

*Pauline*
23rd May 2009, 08:33 AM
Dylan has the same PJs. He looks adorable. Does he like wearing them?Mine love theirs.

He seemed to feel very cosy at first and in the winter when my house is a bit cold, especially so at night. He looked so sweet in it and he did like it. He wore it for 3 days then started to itch his neck a lot so he doesn't wear it now. It aggravated his SM.

BIZA
23rd May 2009, 02:01 PM
I always said i would never put coats etc on my dogs until i got Roger who is a retired stud dog, he had been shaved so short you could see his skin and when he went to bed in the winter he lay there with his teeth chattering so now when its cold he has pjs at night and a raincoat when he goes out in the wet. He also has a toy duck that he has to take to bed with him. I wonder how he ever managed in a kennel all those years.The rest of the dogs look at him as if hes mad and i tried to put a coat on Emily whose 13yrs and she was horrified and wouldnt move until i took the thing of torture off her!

luvhavinbgtwins
24th May 2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you all, them pics are so cute!!!!:D

linderbelle
25th May 2009, 03:12 AM
My husband would disown me if I put clothes on mine--well not really. He'd go along with it only because if I did it, it would mean that it made me happy to put them in clothes BUT nope no clothes for my kids. lol

aggie2009
14th July 2009, 05:54 AM
I got Dutch the most tacky hawaiian shirt for the 4th of July holiday. It was a hit. I wouldn't typically put clothes on a dog but I thought it was hilarious. I also picked him up the old navy flag shirt.

I am going to buy him a lifejacket as he loves the water! I put him in the swimming pool and he didn't like it at first but then kept wanting to get in. He then fell in!

Since I live in a place with a cold, snowy winter now, I will probably pick him up some waterproof coats. I'd like to try to find an 80's style ski jacket for him!

Mindysmom
14th July 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm another one who who be disowned if I put clothes on my dog. Mindy does have a coat because our agility class last winter was in an unheated barn and she did get cold. Max was so little last winter I bought him a coat too. They don't seem to get cold on their walks though and other than on agility nights Mindy would run and hide if she saw her coat so I guess that meant she didn't like it.

chloe92us
14th July 2009, 07:50 PM
I have never put clothes on any of my Cavaliers...but I did have clothes for my Jack Russel/Chi mix named Precious. She looked naked without them and truly loved getting dressed! :rolleyes:

davey
14th July 2009, 11:59 PM
Ah no!!! ..sorry!! My sister went to Vegas and brought back this ridiculous looking hat that had holes in it for the poor dogs ears, it looked ridiculous! No, the whole clothes thing would not be for me. My neighbour bought a raincoat and a hood for her poor cav...u should have seen the poor divil, he flippin hated it! (Sorry...dont go givin out to me...please, and i'm sorry, i certainly havent meant to offend anyone...promise)!!:flwr: (flowers as an apology in case i have offended anyone)

Katelyn
18th July 2009, 11:52 PM
nope i don think I've ever put clothes on any dog!il admit they do look quite cute but i think my family would just laugh at me if i tried putting some form of clothing on the dog!i agree with them though because they don't really need clothes its only really becoming common now to dress up dogs and thats mainly because of celebritys..

Charlotte
19th July 2009, 10:04 AM
We dont put clothes on Charlie but i would love to get them pyjamas Dylan was wearing so adorable :) We do have a winter coat for him but he dosn't really wear it, i dont think he needs it. If its snowing or its snowed them we put it on him x

ClevelandCavs
19th July 2009, 04:03 PM
During the winter I will put a coat on Bella (Yorkshire Terrier), only because Yorkies don't have an under coat.

The only thing I have put on Buster was a little doggie cap, which in a minute was in his mouth being chewed, go figure! :lol:

Lani
19th July 2009, 04:22 PM
Mine have raincoats, but we only use them if they are pouring.

they also have a couple jackets and coats for cold weather.

Both have some very nice sweaters but we rarely use those because they don't work for outside ... Lucky tends to have bad aim ...

I never really saw much need for T-shirts. Cute but mostly pointless. I do have a few that they never wear ... except I did get some use out of them a couple weeks ago when Lucky had cyst removed off his back. I put the t-shirt on to cover it so it wouldn't get dirty outside.