• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you take long car trips w/your cav?

Susanna

My sons and husband will be going to a tennis camp in Florida for two weeks this summer. I was thinking of taking Brian and going on a 7 day road trip while their gone, to the Tennesee mountain area. We'd stop for the nights at motels that accept dogs. But I'm wondering if driving all day with periodic stops to eat and stretch our legs may be too much for Brian. Its a dream of mine to someday drive across country with Brian.

I'm wondering if any of you have taken road trips with your dogs, and if so, do you recemmend it? Do they handle it well?

I haven’t taken mine on a road trip. But when we travel up to Scotland it’s a six hour journey. We have plenty of stops and once we get on the Motorway they all fall asleep.

We've just spent a week camping in Northumberland. As I don't have a car, this involved a 9-hour journey each way using buses, trains and a couple of short taxi journeys. There were gaps when we changed trains or waited for buses, so that Oliver and Aled (and I!) could stretch our legs, but they had no problems about travelling for so long - just went to sleep (they are well used to travelling on public transport). I find Cavaliers are very philosophical - if nothing interesting is happening, they just switch off and go to sleep!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

My old dog Toby loved the car so much so that it was difficult to drag him past it when going for walks. He absolutely loved travelling in cars and handled 150 mile trips (with adequate exercise stops) no problem.
The UK is generally not dog very friendly so mostly it was day trips (often all day) or to cottages that we had hired in advance for a holiday.

lol i have the same with ruby she goes up to parked cars all the time on walks!! I dont drive but with friends rubes has been on short then long trips of around 4hours,lots of wandering,visiting family etc then 4hours back. she has always been absolutely fine except twice when she vomited after the car went over hills a bit fast-i guess it lurched her tummy.However she has never had this problem on motorways,she's usually fast asleep!

We just did a trip of 18days we camp, rather the use motels. There are always a few days that have a lot of driving. The dogs do fine in their Lookout car seats.

01SEPT24WEDR030.jpg
[/SIZE]

We drive from Florida to North Carolina (about a 12 hour drive) several times a year with the dogs. They sleep the entire time. I'm not going to tell you we've never had any problems, we have, but in general they love to go and settle right in. Let's just say Ollie has bouts of colitis and we had a flare-up incident in the car and had to stop for a very extensive poop clean-up. :eek:

We haven't taken long car trips, but I think Dixie would absolutely LOVE it. She, too, just loves being in the car and usually just goes to sleep. I definitely would take her.

I never have problems with my dogs on our 2 hour or 3 hour trips, but this summer will test out that answer for we are going on a day long ride to Texas. :eek:

My three love to travel with us. We've taken them to Indiana which is around 7 or 8 hours away, and Orlando which is about 6. They do just fine. If they see us pick up our keys, they race us to the car. Have a great trip ! :drivecar:

Love the carseat Chuck! Did you purchase it online?

We do trips to the beach (2.5 - 3 hrs) and Rudy does fine. He loves to go in the car, altho he would much prefer sitting on someone's lap than to be in a travel kennel. But he's happy as long as he's going!

Wow! Thanks for the replies! Now I'm really excited about this road trip! How lucky we are that cavs are such good travellers.

And I LOVE that carseat!

I drove to and from Utah with Chelsea last fall about 9 to 10 hrs. Like the others she slept mose of the way. No problems stoped at about 3 or so hrs. She has a seat belt/harnes that I use in the back seat.

We travel a lot with all five girls. We stop every 2 or 3 hours for a potty & stretch walk. The biggest problem we have had is that 2 of them had a bladder infection from not drinking enough water. For whatever reason they will not drink in the car. Now we carry bottled water, add some pedialyte and take them ino the trailer for drinks. :drivecar:

Dutch is a travel pro!

I got my cav puppy the day after I graduated from college. The next week and a half we were on the road. I moved out of my place at school, loaded up and moved to my new job in New Mexico. It was 3 days of driving. We took our time going there. Once there, I moved in my new place and then left for a little trip to Park City, UT. That was another 8 hours there and back. Dutch did great. My breeder recommended turkey or chicken lunchmeat for on the road. I did that and gave him food. He slept most of the way.

Now whenever we drive to the park, he loves to sit in my lap. That is fine now since he is only 10 pounds. Sometimes he gets in the way and I have to keep him in the other seat.

He loves to ride in the car. He knows how to load up and he loves sticking his head out of the window. I am afraid he will fly away with his big ears!

I flew with him recently. I went ahead and and gave him the tranquilizer, only half of one each way. It was Acepromazine. It kind of messed up his eating pattern for the week but still behaved the same after a few hours.

Now whenever we drive to the park, he loves to sit in my lap. That is fine now since he is only 10 pounds. Sometimes he gets in the way and I have to keep him in the other seat.

Welcome to the board :).

You have raised two really important, health and safety-related issues here. They are of real risk to your obviously much loved cavalier. :) I know you would never wish to put him at risk but he is truly at risk in ways many of us don;t think about but I'll explain why as I know you want Dutch with you for as long as possible! :)

First off: having a dog on a lap is a real danger -- to you, to your cavalier, and to others on the road (think in terms of a child being there!). It may well also be illegal as it is in many states. The problems are the same as holding a baby/toddler in your lap while driving.

First, if your airbag deploys your dog will be dead -- just as with small children, dogs should never be on the front seat, setting aside all other concerns. A dog can be crushed or decapaitated if the airbag went off, as has happened to babies and toddlers. A small cavalier would never survive the force of an airbag impact.

Also if a dog is on a lap the driver is unable to focus entirely on the road. If the dog moves around or climbs under to your feet your car could jam in acceleration or braking mode. I know of instances where both these things have happened, causing serious injury to the driver but obviously someone could be killed in a collision, including you. Also, if you have to brake suddenly (even at low speeds!), physics laws mean your dog will slam into the dash at crushing speeds or become airborne at same. A 10 lb dog in a collision at 35mph is thrown forward with hundreds of pounds of force! This is enough to decapitate you or passengers, or turn them into a vegetable on a head impact. Your dog will easily break its neck.

Also if you are in a collision or accident and the dog is loose it will likely run, with all the horrible possibilities after -- getting hit by other cars or running away being most likely. Also most emergency services in the US are trained NOT to go near a dog in a car accident unless safely crated! Which means an injured dog may end up left in the car in pain, instead of getting help.

The safest place to carry a dog is in a hard plastic crate that is belted into the back seat, or use a proper restraint harness in the back seat. There are lots of threads here on this and recommended products too that will keep you and your dog safe. :thmsbup:

There's good info on travelling by car with dogs here:

http://dogtime.com/driving-with-dog.html

Part of which:

Use a safety harness, barrier, or crate to restrain your dog. If you use a crate, secure it so it doesn't slide around the car.

Some people think this is a bit obsessive, but think about what happens if you brake suddenly or crash. A restraint will:

Protect your dog, by keeping him from hitting the windshield or flying out of the car
Protect you and your passengers from being hit by a flying dog
Prevent the pile-up that could ensue if your dog flies out of the car and on to the road
At the very least, keep dogs out of the front seat, and definitely out of your lap. Not only can they distract you and cause an accident, small pups can be killed by a deployed air bag.

Also: http://www.kdbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=10022877

On tranquilizers -- most vets would never even consider administering tranquilisers to healthy flying animals. I have flown several times with my dogs, including transatlantic, and a crate trained dog is comfortable and quiet in transport. Tranquilisers are always a high risk and are only used in the most exceptional circumstances (eg a very ill and injured dog). In particular, tranquilizers are specifically warned against for flying for short-nosed breeds such as cavaliers by the American Vet Medical Association, and every good vet should know this.

USE OF TRANQUILIZERS
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, in most cases, dogs should not be given sedatives or tranquilizers prior to flying. An animal's natural ability to balance and maintain equilibrium is altered under sedation, which can be dangerous when the kennel is moved.
Whether your dog is flying in the cabin or as a checked pet, he will be exposed to increased altitude pressures. This can create respiratory and cardiovascular problems for dogs which are sedated or tranquilized. Snub-nosed dogs (American Staffordshire Terriers, Boston Terriers, Boxers, Brussels Griffins, Bull Terriers, English/French Bulldogs, English Toy Spaniels, Japanese Chins, King Charles Spaniels, Lhasa Apsos, Pekineses, Pugs, Shar-Peis and Shih Tzus) are especially affected.

While sedation is generally not advised, the decision on whether or not to prescribe a tranquilizer for your pet should be made by your veterinarian. If your veterinarian decides that tranquilizers are medically necessary, the name of the drug, the dosage, and how the drug was administered should be indicated on the dog's carrier.

http://www.bringfido.com/travel/us_regulations/

I know many people don't realise they are putting their loved pet at risk as a tranquilizer might seem calming -- but is truly, not the choice to make. I'd change vets if this was a vet who recommended using a tranquilizer, because a vet should be the first person to warn against doing this and should be well aware that we could lose our pets or seriously injure them by using a tranquilizer. :(

I always took Harry on long trips...the poor thing didnt know any different! AS it was always just the 2 of us, I had fantastic one sided conversations...id say anytime i was stuck in traffic people prob thought i was cracked :) Its great travellin with cavs tho..no arguments over the music, no naggin....enjoy and safe travels :)

Ours have been on many long and short trips and always do very well. The longest of which was when we moved from California to Carolina. I'm sure he will do great on a trip to the mountains! :)

As a point to the post about the colitis - we always travel with our dogs to my in-laws beach place and they do wonderfully in the car. We lay down a blanket, attach harnesses appropriately to seatbelts (ours have gotten too big for car seats), and watch the cav pile begin sleep and snore. There have been night trips that we haven't had to stop because they slept all the way through.

Now, about the colitis, we too have had that experience and now travel with an emergency clean up kit...when you travel just prepare for an accident. Our kit includes a gallon of water, a small bottle of soap/cleaning solution, a couple towels, plastic bags for dirty towels, and we keep it all in a plastic bin that a dog could sit in if needed.

We have only needed it twice (one time before we started carrying it :) ) but we also have a dog prone to having colitis flare ups.

We ofter do a 4 hour car journey with Ellie, stopping half way. She love her crate in the car, and usually just sleeps the whole time:)......thank goodness for air conditioning..

Back