• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help My Cav is reverting on potty trainng!

Masterofsparks

Right now I am a little beside myself as my little Yoko is starting to go in the house again. This morning for example as soon as we woke up I took her outside for a good 20 minutes and she would not go potty....I took her back out about every thirty minutes for the next three hours and still nothing. Finally she did poop after three hours and waited another 10 minutes or so for her to pee......still nothing. We came back inside and she proptly went to the carpet and peed! I am besides myself right now as she was doing so great up until about a week ago........What do I do??:swear: Oh I forgot to mention that she is now about 8 months and has been doing fine for the last 4 or 5 months!

You might want to make sure there is nothing physically going on, like a urinary tract infection. Maybe it is just a phase. I have had it happen to us, too. Just be diligent and you will straighten things out. 8 months is not considered reliable yet.

Yes check with the vet first, but she may well be coming into season for the first time - potty training tends to go adrift then too.

If you turn her over, have a look at her vulva and see if it is swollen. YOu can also very gently put a piece of tissue inside and see if there is any dicharge.

Keep in mind that you are only describing a single indoor accident in 4-5 months, so this really wouldn't be too unusual or remiss. Generally, most dogs are not reliable until about a year of age. Also they tend to be a bit up and down at this age -- which is dog adolescence. They also tend to 'forget' a lot of basic obedience training etc around now too.

Once you eliminate any medical reason, the best approach is really not to assume you have a housetrained dog til she is about one and to manage access. This is especially true if you have rugs/carpet you don't want damaged -- it truly is better to take a conservative approach and assume you need to remain an active supervisor and manager of your (still very young!) dog. After all she still qualifies as a mere puppy at this age.

I always think people also need to remember that owning a dog means it is best not to get to upset at the odd accident and not to be too houseproud. Along with a lifetime of hair in and on everything :), you WILL have accidents inside, on and off throughout the dog's life, for reasons ranging from illness or a move to a new unfamiliar house to simply not getting our dog out in enough time when they have to go. It's good to always have some enzymatic cleaner in the house for the odd accident to prevent stains and smell and the animal returning to the same spot to go again, because the one thing a pet ownr can expect along with all the unconditional love is poo, pee and vomit now and then on the furniture, rugs or carpet. :grnyuk: The joys of dogs! I had Lily once both have the runs and throw up while I had a friend over for dinner... what a charming addition she made to the evening!

Keep in mind that you are only describing a single indoor accident in 4-5 months, so this really wouldn't be too unusual or remiss. Generally, most dogs are not reliable until about a year of age. Also they tend to be a bit up and down at this age -- which is dog adolescence. They also tend to 'forget' a lot of basic obedience training etc around now too.

Once you eliminate any medical reason, the best approach is really not to assume you have a housetrained dog til she is about one and to manage access. This is especially true if you have rugs/carpet you don't want damaged -- it truly is better to take a conservative approach and assume you need to remain an active supervisor and manager of your (still very young!) dog. After all she still qualifies as a mere puppy at this age.

I always think people also need to remember that owning a dog means it is best not to get to upset at the odd accident and not to be too houseproud. Along with a lifetime of hair in and on everything :), you WILL have accidents inside, on and off throughout the dog's life, for reasons ranging from illness or a move to a new unfamiliar house to simply not getting our dog out in enough time when they have to go. It's good to always have some enzymatic cleaner in the house for the odd accident to prevent stains and smell and the animal returning to the same spot to go again, because the one thing a pet ownr can expect along with all the unconditional love is poo, pee and vomit now and then on the furniture, rugs or carpet. :grnyuk: The joys of dogs! I had Lily once both have the runs and throw up while I had a friend over for dinner... what a charming addition she made to the evening!

Actually what we are talking about is more than one incident but the point is well taken...luckily most of our floors are tile with area rugs....what is most frustrating is after I have taken her outside she will often poop or pee and then come inside and pee or poop inside....We NEVER get upset with her when she does this but do give her a firm no and give her high praise and a treat when she goes outside. She gives us so much joy so we will give her more time and remember that she is probably just going through a phase. We take her out about once an hour and give her plenty of access....
Yes we do know about the inopportune timing of accedient and a sudden need to puke when having guest! LOL
Thanks for your great advice it is greatly appreciated!!:luv:

As i have said before,Archie has had a couple of accidents.Stay patient,dont worry about it,they forget,she is still very young.Dont take it personnelly and to heart.

Lizzie had a number of pee "accidents" during her heat cycle at 7-8 months old. You might be dealing with that. I think, for Lizzie, it was related to that.

Truman (1.5 yrs old) recently started having accidents in the house. I took him to the vet, they tested his urine and found out he has a UTI. He is now on medication for it, so hopefully it will help. I would take her to the vet first to rule out any medical conditions. :)

Back