PDA

View Full Version : Anybody any ideas how i



tupup
24th May 2009, 10:51 PM
Hi there,
Do you have any ideas how i can get the remaining smell of diarohea(sorry) off poor rubys back end? Since i got her home she's had a jolly good bath & been spritzed with doggie smelly stuff, i thought it was gone until tonight when Jelly happened to upturn the water bowl,mostly over Ruby lol! but then the smell was back:eek:
Now i know i could just keep bathing Rubes repeatedly but her flea treatment is overdue already due to her being so poorly.Normally she gets Frontline Combo plus Program so we're covering internally & externally( i appreciate some may see this as OTT). So she cant be getting wet again from after tonights bowl incident!! or we'll never get her flea treatments done in a reasonable time.Also how soon did you all start giving your puppies flea treatments?
So any ideas how to get my girl back to her usual lovely sweet smell will be much appreciated:)

sins
24th May 2009, 11:41 PM
Has all the diaorrhoea stopped? As she's been seriously ill, I'd hold off on the flea treatment for another week or two. When your new puppy is due the next set of vaccinations and shots you could then dose the two together with frontline to keep it efficient.
Sins

tupup
25th May 2009, 12:10 AM
Yes bless her all diaorrhoea has stopped Sins,shes still on the vets food & antibiotics.Ive taken the 8x a day food to 4x a day & tonight for the 1st time since she has had 1 tiny choc drop:o
Jellys next shots are due on friday, thanks youre right i can get them both done then & the vet is going to give Rubes a check up again then too & also discuss when to start her back on her SM meds.
Would you just keep bathing rubes meantime?
the reason im utterly paranoid about fleas is cos a few years ago a very good friend had to have her home fumigated by the council cos of a major flea infestation,after theyd tried everything,still didnt work & they ended up moving house:yikes

Phoebe
25th May 2009, 12:45 AM
Hi tupup, I used to have this problem with my little one a while back, she suffered for a while with colitis and horrid poops and I just felt that baby wipes or a wet cloth were not doing the job. I was also concerned about bathing to often because of flea treatments and also because of drying out her skin.
She spent half her life in the utility sink! Just put about two inches of warm water in the sink, stand her in it and shampoo her bum area, just make sure you rinse it well. I know their feet get wet as well as their botty, but just stand her on a towel and dry her off. It's so much easier and quicker than a full bath, saves having to soak their entire coat and my girl just got used to it, especially if I popped the odd treat in her mouth!!
I found this so much easier than a full bath :)

lorebringer
25th May 2009, 08:45 AM
Baby wipes are great for after poo clean up. If you want to be more thorough a big jug of water and some shampoo does the job (very like Pheobes suggestion) - I usually do it in the back garden or bath. Wet their bum a bit, shampoo and rinse with the jug of water. A quick towel dry and they are done!

With flea treatments - usually from 8/10 weeks (it tends to specify on the pack). There are milder treatments available for young pups, maybe ask your vet about these. Reciprocating what Sins said - do the two of them together, this will prevent one being "more covered" at any one time and it's handier for you! If you feel the dog would not be able to deal with a spot on treatment (chemicals etc.), there are puppy flea shampoos that you could use instead, until you feel she is ready to move up a notch. If you are worried about anything to do with flea treatments, ask your vet for some advice - that's what they are there for :thmbsup:

Nicki
25th May 2009, 12:04 PM
Tomato puree or ketcup usually works quite well at removing persistent "poo" smells - we use it for fox poo etc

Wet the coat, smear in the puree {don't worry it doesn't stain pink} then shampoo as normal.


If they are messy after an upset tummy, I half fill an old washing bowl with warm water and a good squirt of Infacare baby bath {you don't need to rinse this out}, stand their back legs in the bowl, then use a jug and sponge to wash them off.

Hope that helps