• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Exercise Pen

I think six foot is the average.In height.Is it indoor or out door.That would determin the height.

It will be used indoors. My sister will be having twins soon and she’s funny about having dogs run around her house, especially with the babies. I’m picking Tucker up from the breeder in two weeks and wanted to have something like an exercise pen to take with me when I am at her house. I liked the one I posted above because it was up off the ground and had a hygiene floor in case of accidents while potty training. But I’d like to have one that will grow with him so that he won’t be getting out when he’s older. I thought since it’s made out of mesh it may be harder for him to climb out therefore having shorter sides might not be so bad. What do you think? Thanks for the help!

I think he should be okay. It looks like it would definitely be difficult for him to scramble out. Depending on his full-grown height, I don't expect him to get much more than his front paws over the edge....he'd have to do a heck of a pull up! :p Also, I wouldn't expect him to even *try* to get out, if he is a mature adult used to the pen and sees it as his sanctuary.

No one can say for sure without knowing the dog's full grown height and temperament, but it's a nice play pen...I'd get it.

I have two of the same X-Pens that Cathy Moon has. They are 36 inches high and I have never had any of my dogs try to jump out. Oliver is a big, tall boy and a great jumper and he hasn't even tried to. I like the flexibility of the x-pen because I was able to attach it to Riley's wire crate so that as she was recovering from her SM surgery she had a little more room, but still had her crate to lie down in. I also used it as Oz was getting older but still needed to be in a confined space when I left - you can hook two of them together to make lots of room. I hooked them together with climbing carabiners (My son used to climb so I had a ton of them at home, but you can also get them at a hardware store cheaper). That being said, they are not particularly lightweight - so the one you picked would be more portable. Also, the x-pens don't have a floor, so not as hygienic as you might want for being at your sister's. As a little tyke, the mesh would probably work for Tucker right now, but I know some dogs have shredded mesh pens trying to get out. I also don't know if 26" is high enough. Have fun with your new baby - I love the name Tucker.

Speaking of X-pens, for those of you (us, actually) with that metal type of pen, how do you keep it from scratching your floors? We had two rescue dogs here for about a month until they went to their forever home last Saturday, and I was using an X-pen with them in my master bathroom when we weren't at home. Even on ceramic tile, it left little scratches because they would jump against the pen and slide it. I would hate to think what it would do to my wood floors in the kitchen. Any ideas?

I never had one of those before, but I can definitely see the flexibility of it. I inherited it from the dogs' prior owners. (They gave me 2 and I passed one onto the new owners and kept the other because they didn't want it.) I put towels under the corners of the pen in the bathroom once I saw what it was doing, but one of the little stinkers ended up chewing the corners off of two towels and 3 washcloths! I didn't notice it until she was gone. I hope it didn't do her any harm.

India climbed or jumped out of a 24 inch tall x-pen when she was 5 months old - that's why we bought the 36 inch tall one.

Some wire x-pens come with set of black plastic guards that you attach to the bottom of each section, and that keeps it from scratching the floor. We bought a sheet of vinyl flooring that we set the x-pen on when we had Charlie. Or you could use some of that heavy sheet plastic that comes in rolls from Home Depot - it can be cleaned and re-used.

Megan, I did a lot of research before Vivie came home, looked at the one you have listed and probably should have bought it rather than the 24 in pen she jumped.(barowed a 30 in pen she also jumped and ended up with a wire crate for a 90lb dog with a top.

If you do an expanded search I believe that you can buy a top for this one and save you from buying a taller pen or crate. Good luck.:xfngr:

Back