• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new to this site and new cavalier owner

samsmom

Yesterday I went out and I got a cavalier puppy from a woman I know she wasn't an ethical breeder but he needed help. I drove about an hour one way to pick him up with my two toddlers and it wasn't until I got there that I found out he has a moderate heart murmur (at 10 months old). She said all the other puppies were fine and had gone to new homes but him.

Anyway, he is about 10 months old (another thing the breeder did not know what his birthday:eek:) he supposedly has all his shots but the breeder never emailed me his records and she never emailed me the results of his heart tests she said she had done either (which shows me she never had the tests done to begin with). So he has an appointment with my vet on saturday and he's going to get an exam and we'll find out exactly what's going on with his heart (hopefully) and than we'll discuss if neutering is an option for him (which I would really love to do).

I love this little boy so much and we really haven't named him yet. I like the name Sam because my grandparents had a female (he's a male) cavalier named Samantha (Sammy for short) so the male version of samantha is Sam. We're not entirely sure what we'll call him though as my kids think of a different name every 5 minutes!

Hopefully we'll be able to make up for the horrid start that he has had to life. I already have him bathed and brushed (which is a chore on a 10 month old who has never really had a brush or bath before) and also I am in the process of getting all the mats out of his coat so he should be picture ready this evening (maybe).

It would have been wise to walk away from this woman and people like this, but I know it is very hard to do once you have seen the pup. :flwr: She sounds horrific, and ignorant as well, so Sam will definitely have ended up in a better place with you! I wouldn't be too surprised if your vet also thinks he is older as that's very odd for her not to even have some idea of when he was born unless she is deliberately being vague about an older adult dog. Maybe not but this is what would come to mind if I were talking to someone like this.

I'm not sure where you are based but some places have consumer protections and lemon laws on pet purchases and I'd take this further as giving you records is part of your purchase of the dog.

I replied to your training thread to say I really doubt he has a murmur and seeing this makes me feel pretty sure he does not. If she did check him the vet probably picked up a puppy murmur -- these are not uncommon and are harmless and they just grow out of them. There's more info on them in the Health Library section.

I would imagine you will find he is fine and can be neutered. Your vet is likely to feel he should however be restarted on his full vaccinations as you cannot trust that this has been done.

What a poor boy, and thank goodness you found him, sounds like he will be fine with a little tlc, see what the vet thinks, and i cant wait for some pics, di

Hi samsmum

And wellcome to you and your sam ,and I fully understand your predicament in just wanting to do your best for this little fellow even though as we all know and say it was not ideal in the way he came to you ,but it is so hard to say no and walk away its really just emotional blackmail ,so the best of luck to the two of you and may you both have a long and happy future together.:)

icon_welcome

I didn't get Rudy under the best of circumstances either. And I have little to no health history. But there was no way I was coming home without him...I was the victim of emotional blackmail. In the meantime, we've given him loads of love, a healthy diet, good vet care, lots of exercise and a backyard all his own. He's got the sweetest most laid-back personality of any dog I've ever been around - and many of my dog lover friends have made the same comment. All I can say is, make the best of every moment and cross the hurdles when you get there. This board gives you tons of info - so you can be prepared for whatever is coming down the road for you and Sam...and they'll provide tons of support - when/if you need it.

I know it is always best to just turn and walk away not even give money to a breeder like them but she said she had other people interested (another breeder even:eek:). I figured I'd probably be one of the best people to take him on, someone who was willing to do anything imaginable for him without even meeting him. He has so far more than made up for the $150 I paid for him though.

as for his birthday she told me "well he's ten months old so in another 2 months about he'll be 1" she didn't give me an exact day said she'd email me the info (still waiting on that info too). He is extremely small, and his teeth are very clean. I weighed him yesterday and he's 9 lbs but I will have to double check with the vet and make sure he is at a good weight.

I am already in love, and I think he is in love with me too. He's so excited when I get home from work his tail goes a mile a minute and than he needs to do the five minutes of excited kissing and trying to climb into my lap. He goes everywhere with me, my little shadow, I just love him to pieces (and pictures are on the way I just got some yesterday).

Oh, I am so glad he has you in his life. He will give you unconditional love, as I am sure he knows in his heart you have saved him.... Yea....:mexwav:

Back