• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nail trimming

nannyj

My Quincy is 5 months old, and he already hates having his nails clipped. He lets me do everything else with no problem - brush/comb, brush his teeth, clean his ears - but as soon as he sees the clippers, he hides. For those of you who trim your cav's nails yourself, what do you find to be the easiest method? Do any of you use a nail grinder? I've read that this may be easier. I don't want to have to bring him to a groomer or the vet just to have this done. I love fussing over him, but he just doesn't enjoy this at all!

Any information that may help me is greatly appreciated!

Once your puppy can have regular longer walks, including plenty of hard surfaces (walk on the pavements to the park instead of going in the car!), his nails should look after themselves. You will need to trim his dewclaws regularly, as they don't get worn down. I find the easiest way is to cuddle the dog on his back in the crook of your arm and get him really relaxed with plenty of tummy rubbing, and then just quietly hold each front paw gently and clip the dewclaw. Otherwise you could ask you vet (or a friend) to do it while you cuddle him. Works with my two anyway! If he starts struggling, just resume the tummy rubbing till he relaxes again, so that it becomes something he enjoys.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Agree with above but would add some dogs do have faster growing nails than others. Of my four, Jaspar is the only one that has nails that need occasionaly trimming. All the others keep theirs worn enough through daily walks on pavement.

There is a link with info on nail trimming in the Library section if I recall. Giving treats while trimming can help. Also handle his feet when you are not doing nails so that every day he gets used to having his feet handled. It usually isn't the nail trimming but the foot handling that bothers dogs.

Many people find a file or grinder easier. Some dogs hate the sound of the grinders though.

There is a very good link in the CavTalk library.(y)

I just found another link that shows a one-person restraint method for nail clipping: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.aspx

I'm spoiled because Colin always holds the cavalier, while I clip the nails. We always give our dogs treats afterwards (doesn't hurt to put the treat container out of their reach but where they can see it!)

If your puppy really struggles, just do one nail per day with a treat afterwards (and do it when they're sleepy). ;)

I have clipped my cavaliers' nails on my own when they're napping, but I won't do the dew claws without assistance.

Hi,
I used to use a nail clipper on my Riley's nails and he just hated it. I used a new groomer a while ago and she used a dremel tool which is like a mini sander or nail grinder. She said he tolerated it quite well. Riley's nails grow fast even though I walk him daily on the street. I just recently bought a nail grinder at Petsmart and I am now able to grind his nails by myself. :) I find that his nails are much smoother and not sharp should he jump up on someone.:eek:
Pat & Riley B&T 2 1/2 male

I trim my boys' nails myself. I put a towel on the counter and put them up there and give them treats the entire time to distract them. They've had the dremel used on them when the groomer trimmed them, but I figured I should be able to do this myself....I just trim a little at a time so the chances of quicking them aren't high...although I sometimes still quick them a little, those black nails are tricky. The dew claws are sometimes hard to do because I feel like I'm at an awkward angle, and their feet are so hairy that sometimes it's hard to even find the dew claw! Here are the trimmers I use, the brand is Millers Forge (I also like the Millers Forge trimmers with the orange handle that my vet uses....gives a nice, clean cut):

3382512450_0faf092d55.jpg

Having nine dogs I need to do the nails myself.

I sit with my legs stretched out on a footstool ( it use to be on the floor but I can no longer get up unaided ) and turn them on their backs between my legs, back feet nearest me.
I use my knees to help clamp them in place if necessary.

They usually protest first time, but a mixture of firmness, I hold them in place with a hand on their tummy, reassuring words, and most importantly as far as they are concerned, a little treat for each nail soon establishes this as a routine grooming procedure.

I use one of the guillotine clippers and usually trim the fur under their pads at the same time.

The cavaliers usually queue up for their turn ( they are greedy dogs ) some of the japanese chins are a little less keen to volunteer.

A couple of the chins have hind dew claws, which can be difficult as they are not as firmly attached as front dew claws.

Margaret C

Once your puppy can have regular longer walks, including plenty of hard surfaces (walk on the pavements to the park instead of going in the car!), his nails should look after themselves. You will need to trim his dewclaws regularly, as they don't get worn down. I find the easiest way is to cuddle the dog on his back in the crook of your arm and get him really relaxed with plenty of tummy rubbing, and then just quietly hold each front paw gently and clip the dewclaw. Otherwise you could ask you vet (or a friend) to do it while you cuddle him. Works with my two anyway! If he starts struggling, just resume the tummy rubbing till he relaxes again, so that it becomes something he enjoys.
Kate, Oliver and Aled

What Kate H said. But I let Anna fall asleep till I start the trimming.

Back