• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Free Heart Check?

I know one of the vets in this group. :)

An ECG could be interesting to get, but won't tell much more than a good vet listening to the heart and certainly not as much as a cardiologist would hear. A cardiologist is still the best bet for an accurate analysis. An ECG is a simple heartbeat monitor.

You need to check that it will be done by a qualified cardiologist - ordinary veterinary stethescopes will pick up a murmur but aren't sensitive enough to do much more than that (deciding on grade etc), and I think you would need a cardiologist to interpret the ECG properly. This vet practice may have experts on call, in which case worth investigating. But an ordinary heart check your own vet will do for you for free anyway - mine does it routinely every time we visit. A heart certificate only has value if it is done by a cardiologist. Pity the Irish Cavalier Club doesn't have the same system as the mainland British ones, of providing free cardiologist checks at many club shows - I get Oliver done every year that way.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks for the replies :).

My own vet does check the girls hearts everytime we visit but as you say its not very accurate. It's good that this vet practise is highlighting the heart issues of the breed.

Back