PDA

View Full Version : Our lil one might be ill and we don't even have him yet :(



Issy
28th May 2009, 12:57 AM
Firstly, I'd like to say hello :) I am new here and love it so far.

After weeks of research we finally decided on a breeder that had puppies 4-5 weeks old. We drove out (around 2 hours away) and saw the litter. Out of the four, only 2 were available. We'd seen pictures and had already decided on one, but it turned out the other really took to us. He was all over me and curled up in my lap for a nap like he'd been with me forever. I guess he chose us and not the other way around!

We recieved updates/pictures and video's during the next few weeks and all was well. At 8 weeks we got a call from the breeder told us that during the vet exam they found a heart murmur. There were three vets available and all three checked him and said the same thing. He is also the smallest of the litter, not sure if this makes it worse? The breeder is also very upset over this situation and offered us a few alternatives. We could wait and pick from the next litter, pick another from other breeder's they know that have a few available or still get our little one at a reduced price.

We did go look at a few pictures of the other puppies but my heart was on my little one. We've already purchased everything for him, even the play pen is set-up.

After giving it some thought we decided to take him anyway. I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation and how it turned out. Have we made the right decision?

Oh and the parents were both present during the time we went to visit. They have all the health checks and are heart clear. The only thing they didn't have was the SM MRI's but I only just found out about that from reading this site a couple of days ago.

We are scheduled to go pick him up this weekend. Are we in for a heartache?

Margaret C
28th May 2009, 06:07 PM
Hello Issy,

I think you know yourself that what you are doing is not wise.

Your breeder sounds very responsible, and has been very fair in telling you about the problem with the puppy you booked.

Some young puppies can have a simple flow murmur that disappears during the first year, but if it is something serious like a PDA murmur, then it could mean paying for a very expensive operation.

What did the breeder say the murmur was due to? Did their vet suggest a cardiologist examination.?
It is unlikely you will be able to insure this puppy for heart problems, so you need to think very carefully about what you may be taking on.

You are obviously going to make wonderful owners, and you obviously already feel very committed to this puppy that chose you.

People that do take on frail dogs often feel that they have gained something special, because of the caring relationship, but you will lose out on some of the joy of owning a pet if you need to continuously worry about his health.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Margaret C

pippa
28th May 2009, 06:17 PM
I would worry about whether you will get to enjoy this little guy or suffer a lot of heartache and maybe have to see him suffer,not to mention the fact the you will not be able to insure him as his problem exists already and it may cost you a lot of money to look after him.


It's a heart breaking descision and I don't envy you it at all. I hope it all works out for you..maybe as margaret suggested you could find out more about this murmur and what exactly was found. Your breeder sounds very responsible.

ppotterfield
28th May 2009, 11:29 PM
What a difficult decision you must make and how hard it must be to feel you would be abandoning the little puppy who "chose" you. But you need to remember that he has a home with the breeder and that may be the best place for him to stay. There are lots of things to consider and, in my opinion, you need some additional information, and maybe to wait a week or so, before making your final choice. First, you really need more medical information and to perhaps talk yourself to the Vet and request that the puppy be seen by a Vet cardiologist if he has not yet. You need to know the type of heart murmur, the prognosis, the best and worst case scenarios, the potential costs. Second, you need to decide whether you can afford this puppy with the potential costs, and if you cannot, would it be fair to take him? Third, you need to decide emotionally whether this is a good match for you and your family (if you have one). Some folks do well with special needs puppies (or children for that matter :)) and some do not. If you are the kind who will worry, worry, worry, or if you have children who may have a hard time understanding the puppy's limitations, then this is not the puppy for you. If you need time, ask the breeder to let you put off the decision for a couple weeks, get some additional information, and then make the decision which is right for both you and the puppy.

Best of luck to you.

Issy
29th May 2009, 09:20 AM
I thank you all for the advice. All of you were right, I guess I have a lot to learn. Making an emotional decision is the worse I've done.

We got news that our puppy died. It has been a sad day.

kmatt
29th May 2009, 05:30 PM
Nothing is sadder than losing a pup, and it is even worse that yours went even before you had a chance to really bond.

That said, it might have been for the best. For a pup to have a major issue and to be considerablely smaller (I believe that is what you said) generally means something is wrong physically. I'm suprised the little guy held on for so long. He is however in a better place and he will always keep a special place in his heart for that short time that you were able to bond.

Your breeder sounds extremely responsible and hopefully will help you out in some way. Talk to her because they are a wealth of information.

pippa
29th May 2009, 05:36 PM
Issy......I am so sorry:(

Ciren
29th May 2009, 06:03 PM
:( i'm sorry. hugs for you and family

ppotterfield
29th May 2009, 06:20 PM
I am so sorry to hear that the puppy died. How terribly sad for everyone. Take some time to decide what you want to do but I hope you will soon be adding a Cavalier to your family. They can bring you such joy and comfort.

Continue to do your homework, make certain you are indeed happy with the breeder, or look for a new breeder, and be patient. You can never eliminate all risk but you can minimize risk by being careful and thoughtful and if you decide to knowingly undertake risk do it with a good understanding of what it may mean down the road. And while you are looking continue to visit with those on Cavalier Talk -- you will both learn and be entertained!

Dublin
30th May 2009, 12:20 AM
So sorry to hear that Issy, poor little thing, did the breeder tell you why?

I wish you & your family all the best & hope that the right Cav comes along soon for you xxxx

jld
30th May 2009, 01:11 AM
I am so sorry. Judy

*Pauline*
30th May 2009, 01:24 AM
I'm sorry too :hug:

Issy
30th May 2009, 07:08 AM
I appreciate all the kind thoughts.

Dublin, I have no idea really how it happened. She called my husband and was very upset and crying. Apparently our puppy was fine the night before, so it may just of happened out of the blue. When we went to go see him a few weeks ago he was lively and playful, no sign of anything wrong at all. I have been meaning to call her but I've been so upset myself so hopefully will get to it sometime tommorrow.

ppotterfield, thank you! I would love to stay around. I have already learnt a great deal of information to guide me in the right direction. Hopefully one day I'll have a little cavalier as well.

Lani
30th May 2009, 01:45 PM
I am soo soo sorry to hear the news about your puppy. Hopefully a healthy puppy will come your way soon.

heather r
30th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Issy; I also am so sorry for the loss of your pup (he was yours in your heart and mind.) Remember there are healthy cavaliers out there in other litters waiting for a place in your heart.

When we were looking for a cav a year ago; I found one being turned down by a prospective buyer whose wife had just died. (They chose pup together).

The breeder offered her to me but the prospective buyer decided to get the pup. After seeing pictures etc. of pup I too was devastated for a while. However later I found our Abigail and she filled that spot in my heart.

Heather R

brotymo
31st May 2009, 04:40 AM
I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this. This must be very upsetting for you all. I'd want to try to find out why the pup died if you are still planning on using this breeder for another pup, though. It may have been just "one of those things" since he seemed to have some strikes against him in the health department.
Hugs to you.

Maggles
31st May 2009, 09:35 AM
:(

I am sorry for what you've been through... poor little pup.


:hug: