• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Submission Urination - suggestions?

DebAnders

I have a 3 year old, rescued male cavalier in a foster home that is prone to spontanious urination when corrected, startled, etc. The pup was rescued from a shelter so we know nothing of his background. He is living in a wonderful foster home with three other cavaliers so this is not a response to a harsh current environment. This dog is not submissive normally, but he squats and pees when he feels he's been corrected by his foster mom. Anyone experience this with another dog? Any ideas on how to deal effectively with this condition?

Well, I'd say the issue is the training approach for this already shy dog, given that scolding is the trigger. A lot of trainers do not ever advocate using 'corrections' and especially never with a scared and submissive dog of this type. I'd strictly state no corrections, no scolding, no negative training approaches. Instead, carry treats, allow the dog to be rewarded for desired behaviour and for other times when s/he doesn't submissive urinate but normally would. Don't feed the dog at all; instead give the daily ration as rewards. Also positive-training approach obedience work will help build the dog's confidence which should make a big difference overall. Working to build overall confidence is what really helps with this type of problem in the long term.

To be honest I'd consider moving this dog to a different foster placement. People who use corrections as a general approach are unlikely to change the way they think they should manage a dog -- but continuing to do this is definitely going to make the problem worse and worse, making the dog harder and harder to rehome.

I'd suggest the foster read the approach to training on www.dogstardaily.com as that's a much better training philosophy with cavaliers generally! :)

Some guidance from trainers :) Note that this type of behaviour is triggered by feeling under threat. Corrections and scolding just reinforce that the dog is under threat and hence reinforces the problem of urination (as the foster is seeing!).

http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart105.htm

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/submwetting.html

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/behaviourproblems/suburine.html

Hope those might help! It is a frustrating problem and takes a lot of kindness and patience to resolve.

Thanks

Karlin,

Thanks for your thoughts - there are some good suggestions here though I misled you in using the term "corrections". The foster is exceedingly kind and patient, especially under the circumstances, but it's clear the pup has had something in his background to cause such sensitivity. I think you are right that the best approach is to rebuild his confidence.

Back