• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Groomer shaved my girl

I took Sophie to the groomers for the first time 2 days ago. I took her to the same place her parents to go to be groomed and the do a great job on them. But they shaved off all her fur except her ears and tail. :eek: She and I are just devastated. How long can i expect it to take to grow back?? My poor girl I feel so bad for her.:(

Thanks
Jennifer

I'm so sorry that happened -- I would be devastated, too. I would be so mad at the groomer. It's maddening when they can't follow simple instructions. Can't comment on how long it will take, but just take comfort in the knowledge that it will grow back!

I'm so sorry :hug: I see these threads posted occasionally and my stomach turns over. I know how I would feel if it happened to me.

Dylan had his back shaved down to the skin for a spinal tap and it actually didn't take very long to grow back, maybe 3 months. But, that patch did grow back as "cotton coat". Trimming a Cavalier's coat can change the coat forever I'm afraid.

I'll just check my Flickr pictures as they are dated and see how long it too to grow back...

17th October 2008 :cry*ing:
2949228130_44ccffc5ed.jpg

12th November 2008
I'm amazed, this was one month later but not fully grown back. The front of his neck was shaved too and this took a lot longer to grow back, maybe more noticeable because of the curls.
3026473688_011492aab0.jpg

India's leg and part of her back were shaved to the skin for knee surgery - it grew back completely in several months. Her coat didn't change at all where it was shaved - to look at her you'd never know anything happened.

I hope Sophie's coat grows back quickly and that you'll feel better soon. :flwr:

oh my gosh! what did you say to the groomer when you were giving instructions? How in the world did they think that would in any way be appropriate?
So sorry. I'd be crushed.

That happened to me once. I had a sheltie at the time, and I went to pick him up at the groomers, walked in and they said "oh I'll go get him for you"....she walked back out with this other dog and I looked at her like "well...where is he?" and she pointed down to this other dog and said, "here he is". It was the craziest thing I have ever seen- it did not look like the same dog- he went from sable to GRAY (his undercoat color). I started bawling right there in the groomers waiting area. She didn't charge me....I know how you feel, but it will grow back.

Thats a shame the groomer did that & didnt follow instructions! I hope you didn't have to pay for it, as thats not what you wanted! You'd be suprised on how fast the fur grows back though :) my cav Alfie once got shaved like that during summer as he was always going places where he would get filthy & get burs all over his coat, which were very hard to remove! It only took a few months for his coat to grow back :)

I thought any decent groomer knows how to cut different kind of breeds.
I know my groomer through my friends who have Rosies & Ebonys brother and sister. My friend has all her three Cavaliers shaved. (I hate it) I remember the first time my friend made this request to the groomer the groomer was horrified. She said no way she would want to clip a cavalier but because my friend insisted she done it.

The groomer did this to Remus 2 years ago & he has not been back. I have been emailing a groomer that I found on the web. She had pictures posted of Cavalier's she grooms. I think after 2 yrs. I'm ready to try again. :xfngr:

It can be difficult like finding a good hairdresser, some do what you want other make a disaster, its worth trial and error, im always explicit about just want i want, they have groomed harley closer than ususal this time, she said he had alot of dead hair in a certain place and with that area cut shorter than the rest he looked funny so she did the whole lot much shorter than i wanted. I always say LEAVE THE FEATHERING, as i think thats what really looks strange, it will grow back slowly the problem is she may need grooming again before its fully grown.

my golden was accidentally shaved at the groomers 3 years ago. He had a beautiful long flowing coat before and now it's still long but just not as flowing. I want to say it took about 6 months for it to grow to a decent length and than another 3-4 before it was anything like it was before (unless I was just being picky) but he was shaved almost down to his skin. They just left the tail and his head/face/ears.

I took Archie a couple of months back and they shaved his whiskers right off,i was FUMING...

I took Archie a couple of months back and they shaved his whiskers right off,i was FUMING...

Whiskers grow back quick. My breeder told her girls to trim Dylan's feet and whiskers when he boarded there once. I was upset but it did grow back quickly.

Thank you to everyone for all the replies!!! It does make me feel better to know it isnt going to take forever to grow back. I think we are finally over the shock of it. I don't believe I will be getting her groomed again. I will be doing it myself. Does anyone have any brushes that are their favorite to use? She hates to be brushed so something very quick and easy would be great!!

Thanks again
Jennifer

we took poppy a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately we did have to have her ears cut right down as she had so many knots her ears were totally matted from lack of grooming, she was petrified of the brush!

we now have a baby brush to groom her non existant ears, just to get her used to the feeling & so she doesnt have to have it done again. they are growing pretty quickly though!

The RSPCA shaved the ends of Jasper's ears and his chest - down to the skin. Less than 3 months on, you wouldn't know that ANYTHING had been done to his chest - all fluffy and wavy... but his poor ears ....:( still stubby !

Back