• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

anybody use Revolution (the flea/tick/heartworm prevention)

samsmom

I got some of this at the vet for our cavalier and used it (he is heartworm negative). I was just curious if anyone else has ever, or does now, use it and what their opinion was on it.

Also is it waterproof? If I applied it today can he have a bath tomorrow? The site said it is waterproof after 2 hours but I wanted to be sure.

Hello, I am not sure how effective it is against fleas and such. When Pixie was a puppy, she had ear mites when I got her. Because she also had a yeast infection in the ears, the vet put her on revolution for the mites (he didn't want to put two meds in her ears or they wouldnt work as well). They took care of the mites just fine, but I never did know what other uses it could have.

thanks! I think we will keep on it for awhile atleast. I like that it prevents fleas/ticks AND heartworm. I really like that it's so easy to remember to treat for everything.

I've just started using Revolution on India - the dermatologist said it contains less allergens than what I was using before, and we were going to put India on a food elimination diet to determine exactly what her allergies are. (But we've already determined what foods we need to stay away from to keep her yeast-free.)

I still use Frontline Plus and Interceptor for Geordie and Chocolate because the combination controls most other worms as well as heartworm, fleas, ticks.

My vet was going to put Lucky on that, but I had remembered that my breeder had said that it is too strong for the cavaliers so we decided to go with Advantage I think......

At the wildlife center where I volunteer, we use a drop of Advantage on baby opossums and squirrels (over 90 grams) to eliminate the fleas they come in with, and have very good results. The fleas are off and dead within a few hours on these tiny wildlife patients that are often so infested they are flea anemic. We have had no ill effects with this treatment. However, we had some Revolution donated to us and one of our other volunteers used the same amount on incoming babies (again, this is wildlife) and some of them had bad reactions to it and died. The ones that didn't die still had fleas popping on them 12 hours later!

I have found Advantage to be the best and safest flea control product for wildlife, including opos, squirrels, and raccoons. We do use revolution on adult raccoons for mites and sarcoptic mange though, and it is effective, though not so much for fleas.

Anyway, my point is, Advantage has shown to be extremely effective for flea treatment, with no ill effects. I use it monthly on my girls and they are flea free.

I just re-read the initial email. I understand that Revolution is also effective for ticks, but these are not a big problem in our area. I have used Advantix when traveling with good results, which is a combo treatment for fleas, ticks and has mosquito protection/repellent.

Back