• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question on grooming--

curious28627

My baby, Rico, will soon be 2 years old. We live in the beautiful mountains of NC. It gets warm and humid here and he seems to be bothered by the heat. He is large for the breed and I do not like seeing him so uncomfortable. Question: do you ever cut the hair on a cavalier king charles spaniel like a cocker spaniel? All I have looked up seems to indicate that you never cut a cav's hair except for their feet. I do not show him and just want him to be comfortable and able to deal with the warm weather. Thank you for any input or advice.:(:D

We live in Florida and I can relate to what you are saying. I know that they say not to cut their fur, but mine too does not like it outside when it is 100+ degree with high humidity. So I do cut her fur shorter in the summer. It looks kind of strange, but it does help. She will actually sit outside by the pool with us sometimes. I leave the feathering on her legs though. Can't take it all away! But her belly and legs and sides get cut shorter. About 2 inches? or so...

There are detailed directions for groomers posted in the Library section on trimming a cavalier for those that feel they need to. This is a trim that won't leave them looking like a cocker.

Back