PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: PTS risk, Dublin: cav/terrier cross in pound

Karlin
4th June 2009, 12:26 AM
This is an owner surrender so he can be put down at any time, generally within 24 hours at most pounds. If anyone is considering another dog, this little thing might be the ticket but please ring the rescuer directly asap as this dog's life will depend on swift action.

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=71187

This is NOT a dog in my care and so I am not the person to contact.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/kimmcgrath/CIMG0518.jpg

Dog name: Ipsy

Sex: male

Kennel number: 16

Located: Dunboyne Pound

If in pound is stray/surrender? Surrender

Picked up: n/a

In: 03/06/09

Ipsy is a quiet little fellow with a lovely nature. He was surrendered by his owner and is wondering why he is in the pound. He is a surrender so needs your help asap. If you can help please post, pm or call Martina on 086 3871498

george108
4th June 2009, 03:28 PM
We're meeting Ipsy on Saturday so I'll keep you posted. Spoke to the lady and from what she's saying he sounds like a lovely little fella. Hopefully he'll gel with George!!

Karlin
4th June 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for posting! Let us know how you get on -- he sounds a great little dog. :)

brid kenny
4th June 2009, 05:09 PM
Oh that's great. Was very worried. Fair play to you.

Dublin
4th June 2009, 05:37 PM
:xfngr: all goes well with Ipsy & George!

pippa
4th June 2009, 08:00 PM
Hope all goes well and you can have Ipsy join you and George.

Louise1823
4th June 2009, 08:31 PM
Oh thats great news! Ipsy has been playing on my mind all day and its great to hear that you might be homing him :rah:

george108
5th June 2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and visit him tomorrow instead of Saturday. (I'm like a big kid!) George is a really good little dog so I'm praying that the two of them just click and he can have a new best friend!!

Louise1823
5th June 2009, 09:34 AM
Oh brilliant! Im dying to hear how you get on!!! :rah:

Karlin
5th June 2009, 12:22 PM
PM me if you want to talk about it. Keep in mind dogs often take a little while to get used to each other. I think this guy is out and being fostered now so the fosterer will have the advantage of being able to tell you a bit about his personality. But it is really normal for dogs especially the resident dog to be a bit grumpy at first at having to share you and its home space with a newcomer. Imagine having a cousin come to stay for the summer and recall how after the initial excitement most of us would get a bit miffed! But this tends to go pretty quickly.

Louise1823
5th June 2009, 03:42 PM
But it is really normal for dogs especially the resident dog to be a bit grumpy at first at having to share you and its home space with a newcomer.

That's so true! I remember when we first took Rex as a foster, Chloe barked at him non-stop for the first few days!!
I really had doubts in the first week about whether or not they would get on - How wrong could I have been?? Its been almost a year now and they are like two peas in a pod - absolutely inseperable ;)

I can honestly say it took a good month or two for Millie to really accept him too and they get on really well now too, so :xfngr: for George and Ipsy!

george108
5th June 2009, 08:21 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you all for your kind wishes about Ipsy (or Dipsy as was on his vaccination papers!) Karlin thanks for the tips. Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply.

Ipsy and George met up today and went for a short walk and appeared to get along fine. Ipsy was micro-chipped and also had all his shots today so as I type this he is curled up on the couch beside George!!! He was great on the way home in the car and when we arrived home he went investigating. He had his dinner and ate it all. He is a little hyper but I think that's just because of all the upset over the past few days. George is a really laid back dog and although he loves the company of other dogs, he doesn't like when they keep hanging out of him. There were a few growls earlier but we're keeping an eye on them while they sort out their differences. I'll post again with some photos when he's more settled. The lady from the rescue said Ipsy wasn't actually his name so he is now Oscar!! He's so cute. Hard to believe that the little guy was being pts.

Karlin
5th June 2009, 10:43 PM
Oh that's great news! I was looking forward to finding out how things had gone. A bit of growling and grumpiness is pretty normal. Lots of walks together I find really helps two dogs to settle -- walks are neutral and they quickly relax around each other. It will be great to see some pics as he starts to fit in! I'll be interested to hear about his personality too -- a terrier/cavalier combo could go in all sorts of directions! :lol:

george108
5th June 2009, 11:05 PM
Not sure if I'm doing this right. Trying to post a pic.

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=197&pictureid=1623

mellie
6th June 2009, 08:06 AM
Ahhh! Little Oscar is so cute! I am so glad he was saved by you! Its a wonderful thing to do! Pat yourself on the back for that.:thmbsup: If more people would react like that and take in these amazing animals, we would have so many more saved from being pts. I hope he continues to make himself at home! Good luck!:hug:

george108
6th June 2009, 10:06 AM
Oscar had a fairly quiet night apart from pooping in the kitchen in the middle of the night! He seemed to settle really well. He pooped again this morning even though we'd just had the back door open for him to go out. That isn't really a problem though, we understand he's had a rough few days. The only problem is that he is EXTREMELY hyper! When we walk around he's constantly jumping up at us and when we sit down he's trying to climb all over us and lick us!! He's still very much in George's face but George just ignores him and lets out the odd growl. We're hoping that he'll calm down and fit in with our routine. He doesn't seem to have much Cav in him. We took in two Jack Russells before and rehomed them through our vet and both were really laid back and placid. If anyone more experienced with rescues could let me know their opinion on this I would be very grateful. Would you say that if he's hyper now that that's just his personality or might he calm down?

Karlin
6th June 2009, 01:08 PM
He was a surrender and the owners knew the mix -- he definitely looks half cavalier by markings and coat and half terrier, probably jrt.

This guy may have had no training at all -- and therefore little self control. Also he is in a new and strange setting, with people and animals and a home he doesn't know. I think you need to approach him from the start as not being housetrained -- you cant assume that he is, he may have lived til now out in a garden. Also he will almost surely relax a bit as he settles in, but you will need to create the dog you'd like -- if you want a calm dog, it is training and working with him that will give him that self control and let him understand what you expect. Imagine if you were dropped into a strange house in Bulgaria not knowing a word of Bulgarian but the family you were staying with assumed you knew what they expected of you as a guest -- and talked to you only in Bulgarian -- that is how confusing it will all be for him! A training class asap after adopting a rescue is the single biggest factor in successful adoptions according to a US study from a few years ago. :)

On personality -- a terrier is a terrier :lol: -- a lot more energetic than many other breeds and always ready to go. I'd expect a terrier cav mix to be sweet and friendly but high energy and ready for lots of walks and activity, and very smart -- again a great candidate for obedience, agility, teaching fun tricks to.

There are lots of links pinned at the top of ths section of the forum on what to expect with rescue dogs. I'd also have a read of misecellaneous articles that look relevant for you at www.dogstardaily.com (http://www.dogstardaily.com) and download the 'after you get your puppy' book (free) as it is best to assume you'll want to start from scratch with training. :) And look into an organised training class.

As the dogs bond they will likely do a lot of playing and work off extra energy that way. But really any dog needs a good hour of active exrecise daily with owners -- a good long walk or two daily.

Also keep him busy with a stuffed kong for each dog -- give them their meal in a kong rather than dishes, make them work for the food and enjoy the challenge of a kong etc.

What a CUTE little guy!!

Karlin
6th June 2009, 02:49 PM
PS did they know his age? He looks young.

george108
6th June 2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks Karlin,

Yes he is a really cute little guy! He's settling in pretty well with George but George isn't the most playful dog. Tug of war is about as far as he goes. IMO he has no cav in him. A breeder friend is convinced he has collie in him. Either way he seems to be doing his best to fit in so far and we're doing all we can for him. He's going for a haircut tonight! He's eating well and already has found his spot on the couch beside George. Fingers crossed he'll settle in eventually. I'll definitely look at the link you posted. Thanks again.

Very soory. Didn't realise the owners knew for definite.

george108
6th June 2009, 02:56 PM
Re his age, no idea. We were told very little about him apart from the fact that he was surrendered with a lab. Poor things!

Karlin
6th June 2009, 02:59 PM
I can check directly with the people who took him in but I was told the owners knew his mix (probably came from neighbours), whch means his mother was probably the cavalier as they definitely knew the cavalier side. They weren't guessing at the cross and would have no reason to make one up -- and I would wager 100% that he is half cavalier myself as well. Cannot see how this mix would have collie -- he is too small; generally the pups in a large/small mix will end up on the larger breed size (as with my cav/lab crosses two years ago). I see a lot of cav mixes via working with rescue groups. This is exactly what you tend to see in a cav/terrier cross -- shorter ears, cav like colouring, and he has a typical coat for this mix too. :) At the end of the day though it doesn't matter of course -- it is the individual and the personality! :p

Karlin
6th June 2009, 03:01 PM
I'll see if someone can check on his age; usually that would have been recorded with surrenders.

george108
6th June 2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Karlin. We were just about to ring ourselves to see if we could find out. All they could tell us in Paws was that he was surrendered with the lab and that he was housetrained and neutered. We were debating about his size earlier, he's really small. George is pretty tall and he towers over him!!

george108
6th June 2009, 03:13 PM
Just rang Martina and she has no idea about his age. He was just passed on with no information.

george108
6th June 2009, 03:15 PM
If you have any way of finding out his age it would be great. He's going to the vet for a check up on Monday so he'll probably ask. (Not that important but it would be nice to know!)

Karlin
13th June 2009, 11:23 PM
Darn, Martina would be the person who would know -- weird though that the pound staff didn't ask the owner at the time of surrender; that would be normal as well as getting some background on vax etc. The vet can probably give you a reasonable estimate going by teeth -- can certainly tell if he is quite young. If his teeth are fairly clean, he is probably under two or three. If really white, then probably around one.

george108
14th June 2009, 01:51 PM
We found out from the vet that he was barely 12 months old. Unfortunately tensions between George and Oscar increased as time went on. What started as growling soon turned to fairly vicious snarling. They were both on the couch and George stretched out and hit off Oscar which led to him going for George's leg. I was on the couch with them so they were ok. Then it was ongoing snarling eventually leading to us having to seperate them several times. This led to us having to return Oscar which was just heartbreaking. I was so worried afterwards because when we walked George he twice got aggressive towards other dogs which he hadn't done before. He seems to be much better now though. I think George is just a very settled old soul and having a lively dog around was just a bad combination. He's great with other dogs but only when they are really laid back and relaxed with him. Hopefully at some stage in the future we can rescue another dog as it's something we'd really love to do. For all concerned though we'd probably be better with an older dog.

tupup
14th June 2009, 05:46 PM
Im sorry to hear it didnt work out for you all & what a difficult decision you had to make :flwr:

chloe92us
14th June 2009, 06:49 PM
Sorry it didn't work out.

I have read that when selecting a companion animal for your current dog, to have the best odds of them really getting along, you would look for a dog with the same energy level or *less* than your current dog (not more energy).

I have seen that at work in my home. My first Cavalier is very laid-back and calm. Our second is border-line hyper and although they never fight, they are not really "friends" and don't play together much. However, our third Cavalier Winston is very calm and relaxed but also has a playful side. Both Casey and Ollie love him and he fit right in. Casey will even cuddle with him at times. I love that.

george108
14th June 2009, 07:12 PM
Thank you for the replies. We really thought we were doing the right thing with this little guy. It was heartbreaking having to let him go. I just hope that he finds a loving lively family where he can have lots of fun and play (George never plays!). It's just horrible because we feel that we let Oscar down the same way as other people have in the past.

Karlin
14th June 2009, 07:44 PM
Rescues are often challenges. Don't feel bad; it is important to find a dog that fits into your home. Not all dogs mix well, with other dogs and the initial days and weeks can also be a challenge even when they do end up as friends.

george108
16th June 2009, 01:07 PM
Just to let you all know that Oscar was rehomed at the weekend. Hope he's very happy in his new home!

Aileen
16th June 2009, 01:20 PM
Oh good
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)