PDA

View Full Version : Weight & barking

lesjoanne
4th June 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi,

Just a query on how to get one of ours to put weight on. He is 14mths old now and is just so skinny - not enough to see his ribs though. We have tried increasing his amount of food, buit he tends to stop once he has had enough. He is not yet neutered (will be in the next 2 mths) so perhaps this may help. He seems absolutely fine in himself - same amount of energy he has always had and normal poo too.

On another subject our other one (18mths now) has recently started barking a lot more than usual. He barks at everyone who passes the house, and he also barks at a lot of other people when he is on the leash out for his walks. Off leash it does not seem to be an issue. Any tips gratefully received. It is making him come across negatively when in fact he is actually so gentle and docile - he is more affectionate than the other one. Thanks

Lesley

MadPip
4th June 2009, 06:02 PM
Hi,

Just a query on how to get one of ours to put weight on. He is 14mths old now and is just so skinny - not enough to see his ribs though. We have tried increasing his amount of food, buit he tends to stop once he has had enough. He is not yet neutered (will be in the next 2 mths) so perhaps this may help. He seems absolutely fine in himself - same amount of energy he has always had and normal poo too.

Lesley

I wouldn't worry about his weight unless the vet says he is underweight. Both of mine walk away when they've eaten enough, and as a consequence I have 2 fit healthy (apart from Maddie's allergies :() cavaliers, rather than the obese ones I often see waddling along near me.

Both Maddie and Pippin looked very skinny until they started to build more muscle as they matured. If you can't see his ribs then he's probably fine.

lesjoanne
4th June 2009, 06:14 PM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv285/cavaliers2009/May09037.jpg

This is a recent pic - maybe he just looks skinny beside our other one who is tipping the other way!

Justine
4th June 2009, 06:23 PM
Like the Tat....

lesjoanne
4th June 2009, 06:25 PM
lol. Hate it myself these days I must admit. The things we do when we are younger

chloe92us
4th June 2009, 06:41 PM
As for the weight- if her ribs aren't sticking out, she's not too skinny. She's probably perfect! Don't try to fatten her up. A lot of people are so used to seeing fat dogs, they think theirs are too skinny. Skinny is good, especially for Cavaliers with their heart problems.

About the barking, mine don't do this, but if you search for "leash aggression" there was a recent post about this. I think barking while on the lead falls into that category. Hope that helps!

Dublin
4th June 2009, 08:49 PM
he dosnt look at all skinny!!

Sparky is a bit like that too, when he was under a year he looked like a waife (sp?) but I think some of it was that he was just growing into himself! I also changed his food which made a bit of a difference (added more raw meat to his diet). Sparky is neutered. I can still feel his ribs - they dont stick out or anything, he's pretty much perfect weight I think - I think he#ll never be a 'chunky' dog but once he's healthy (which he is) I dont care too much!!

jasperpaw
4th June 2009, 09:08 PM
They both look lovely, better to have a thin cavalier than bigger with their heart problems, he may just be slower in maturing, my boy was very slow in filling out and did`nt really put weight on till he was about 4 years and is not really big now, yours may not be a big breed cav.