• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fetch Magazine Features CKCS

I'm cross-posting what I said in another group. Notice that there is an error in this article on Cavaliers, and I'd hate to see someone google and try to research and end up with incorrect information about the heart disease that affects Cavaliers.

Cavaliers don't suffer from mitral valve dysplasia. That is a congenital defect of the mitral valve which is corrected by surgery (well, if you have the $ and access to a cardiologist who does the surgery, anyway). Chris Orton at CSU did a famous repair surgery on Lance Armstrong's retriever puppy who was born with this condition, which is not too common.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/11114.htm

"Congenital malformation of the mitral valve complex (mitral valve dysplasia) is a common congenital cardiac defect in cats. Canine breeds predisposed are Bull Terriers, German Shepherds, and Great Danes. Mitral valve dysplasia results in mitral insufficiency and systolic regurgitation of blood into the left atrium. Any component of the mitral valve complex (valve leaflets, chordae tendineae, papillary muscles) may be malformed, and often more than one component is defective."

www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/Insight/2006/in06spr-rpg_www.pdf
(article on heart surgery on page 11)

Cavaliers suffer from endocardiosis or acquired valvular disease - often referred to as MVD or mitral valve disease. (I prefer the first two terms which are more correct since more than one heart valve is usually affected before it's all said and done - often mitral, tricuspid, pulmonic valves.) Endocardiosis is an acquired condition (takes time to develop) versus mitral valve dysplasia which is a congenital (present at birth) defect.

Pat

Back