PDA

View Full Version : Couplers- advice needed!

harrysmum
4th June 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm thinking of trying a coupler with my 2 guys for walks about the streets when I want them closer together. Do any of you use them, if so which ones would you recommend? I've looked in PAH but they only have a nylon version that looks far too chunky for my wee guys or a chain one which i don,t fancy. Any advice would be helpful. :smile:

Mindysmom
4th June 2009, 11:33 PM
I have a small, very light nylon coupler that I bought from Petsmart. I think it's help Max to walk nicely. I use it all the time if I am walking the dogs alone. The lady that cares for them when I'm away told me she didn't like couplers but I did notice that when I got back from holiday and picked them up the coupler was attached to the leash:D

chloe92us
5th June 2009, 01:03 AM
I'm interested in this, too. I bought one from Ruff Wear, but it is waaayyy too heavy and drags between the dogs. I'm thinking a coupler is not going to help me though since Winston moves left to right so badly and Ollie ends up getting yanked around.

Ste
5th June 2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.larzpetgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=73

lesjoanne
5th June 2009, 03:15 PM
We use the nylon one from pets at home occasionally - to be honest though, I find it gives them less freedom, and one of ours does the whole zig zagging walk which pulls Tanner around.

Mindysmom
5th June 2009, 05:38 PM
I think it does give them less freedom. I use it when I'm walking in town and I want them walking close to me anyway - if there was space to wander and sniff I don't use it.

Sunflowerstar
5th June 2009, 06:42 PM
I have the normal nylon one from pets at home. But I am longing to order the wacky walker coupler but have no idea which size to get as Dotty is a pettite 6kg and Ziggy weighs 9.5kg anyone have one of these?

harrysmum
5th June 2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, I like the look of the larz coupler thanks for that link.
I realise it would mean the dogs would get less freedom, but my plan is only to use it where they would need to keep close by anyway.
Another reason I am thinking of trying this is that my Mum,70+& not a dog owner ( she,ll kill me for revealing that!) will be looking after my boys for a week in the summer. She had Harry last year & coped great with him, but I'm wondering now that Charlie has joined the family if she would find it easier to have both dogs on the 1 lead for walks as she does seem to struggle a bit for control when she has 2 seperate leads? I don't want her to be saying never again afterwards!!If so i need time to get them used to that system before she has them. icon_nwunsure

Sunflowerstar
5th June 2009, 07:26 PM
I must admit that Dotty is a puller when on the coupler but walks like a dream on her own so does Ziggy. Thats why I am thinking of getting the wacky coupler. My mother in law often has my two for me. I always tell her not to walk them as her balance is not so good and would hate for her to have a fall while walking them.
I found seperate leads easier for mine at the start one each side of me but I like the coupler when I have the children with me.

harrysmum
5th June 2009, 07:31 PM
Sunflowerstar, pardon my ignorance but whats a wacky coupler!!:confused:

Kizzys Mum
5th June 2009, 09:51 PM
We have the wacky coupler for Kizzy and Zara. It's quite good and stops Zara dragging Kizzy about! We got a medium I think - they're both about 10/11kg.

Kate H
6th June 2009, 10:45 AM
I use a light but strong nylon coupler on mine all the time, as we're always on and off buses and trains, walking in town and the market, and I need one hand free to carry things, produce tickets, pay for shopping etc. I couldn't manage without it, and it works well with the extending lead when it's not safe to let them off in a green space near traffic.

The downside is that although both of mine are good walkig on their own, on the coupler 2-dog power goes to their heads and they think they're huskies pulling a sled (and I'm the sled!). Perhaps I should start CaniX with them!

Aled is 2 today, his first birthday with us, so we're all sharing a piece of steak for supper (joint birthday party with Oliver, who's 8 next Saturday).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sunflowerstar
6th June 2009, 07:56 PM
Sunflowerstar, pardon my ignorance but whats a wacky coupler!!:confused:

A wacky coupler have like a bungie type of elastic to them and they should gentle correct them from pulling. They are quite new on the market I have only seen them online pets at home do a lead version but not a coupler. I am ordering one this week I shall let you know how we get along with it once it arrives. :)