• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Couplers- advice needed!

harrysmum

I'm thinking of trying a coupler with my 2 guys for walks about the streets when I want them closer together. Do any of you use them, if so which ones would you recommend? I've looked in PAH but they only have a nylon version that looks far too chunky for my wee guys or a chain one which i don,t fancy. Any advice would be helpful. :smile:

I have a small, very light nylon coupler that I bought from Petsmart. I think it's help Max to walk nicely. I use it all the time if I am walking the dogs alone. The lady that cares for them when I'm away told me she didn't like couplers but I did notice that when I got back from holiday and picked them up the coupler was attached to the leash:D

I'm interested in this, too. I bought one from Ruff Wear, but it is waaayyy too heavy and drags between the dogs. I'm thinking a coupler is not going to help me though since Winston moves left to right so badly and Ollie ends up getting yanked around.

We use the nylon one from pets at home occasionally - to be honest though, I find it gives them less freedom, and one of ours does the whole zig zagging walk which pulls Tanner around.

I think it does give them less freedom. I use it when I'm walking in town and I want them walking close to me anyway - if there was space to wander and sniff I don't use it.

I have the normal nylon one from pets at home. But I am longing to order the wacky walker coupler but have no idea which size to get as Dotty is a pettite 6kg and Ziggy weighs 9.5kg anyone have one of these?

Thanks for the replies, I like the look of the larz coupler thanks for that link.
I realise it would mean the dogs would get less freedom, but my plan is only to use it where they would need to keep close by anyway.
Another reason I am thinking of trying this is that my Mum,70+& not a dog owner ( she,ll kill me for revealing that!) will be looking after my boys for a week in the summer. She had Harry last year & coped great with him, but I'm wondering now that Charlie has joined the family if she would find it easier to have both dogs on the 1 lead for walks as she does seem to struggle a bit for control when she has 2 seperate leads? I don't want her to be saying never again afterwards!!If so i need time to get them used to that system before she has them. icon_nwunsure

I must admit that Dotty is a puller when on the coupler but walks like a dream on her own so does Ziggy. Thats why I am thinking of getting the wacky coupler. My mother in law often has my two for me. I always tell her not to walk them as her balance is not so good and would hate for her to have a fall while walking them.
I found seperate leads easier for mine at the start one each side of me but I like the coupler when I have the children with me.

We have the wacky coupler for Kizzy and Zara. It's quite good and stops Zara dragging Kizzy about! We got a medium I think - they're both about 10/11kg.

I use a light but strong nylon coupler on mine all the time, as we're always on and off buses and trains, walking in town and the market, and I need one hand free to carry things, produce tickets, pay for shopping etc. I couldn't manage without it, and it works well with the extending lead when it's not safe to let them off in a green space near traffic.

The downside is that although both of mine are good walkig on their own, on the coupler 2-dog power goes to their heads and they think they're huskies pulling a sled (and I'm the sled!). Perhaps I should start CaniX with them!

Aled is 2 today, his first birthday with us, so we're all sharing a piece of steak for supper (joint birthday party with Oliver, who's 8 next Saturday).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sunflowerstar, pardon my ignorance but whats a wacky coupler!!:confused:

A wacky coupler have like a bungie type of elastic to them and they should gentle correct them from pulling. They are quite new on the market I have only seen them online pets at home do a lead version but not a coupler. I am ordering one this week I shall let you know how we get along with it once it arrives. :)

Back