• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy with SM? I'm probably being paranoid

meray83

We recently brought home Tucker and he's only nine weeks but he's scratching his neck collar area, especially on a lead. His grandmother had SM, but both parents are clear. It's way to early to start seeing signs of SM right? It's probably just because he's not used to having a collar or lead.

Has he been introduced to the collar slowly or did you jsut put it on him?

Try removing it and see how he goes.

You could also check for parasites etc.

It's very unusual to be seeing signs this young, but if you are worried then I would advise going to your vet to rule out otehr possiblities.

You could be worrying about nothing. Puppies often scratch when they first start wearing a collar.

There is also a possibility that he could have picked up a flea or a very common mite problem called cheyletiella (aka walking dandruff or rabbit mite )

It sounds as if you bought him from a responsible breeder who scans their cavaliers before breeding from them. Presumably both parents were MRI'd after they were 2.5 years old?

Send me a PM for my telephone number if you want to talk to someone about your concerns.

Reuben scratched his new collar for about 3 weeks. My hubby was sure there was something wrong with him but I kept it on him and he stopped altogether.

Try walking him on a harness rather than on his collar - most people on here prefer to use harnesses that collars for walking.

Sparky too scratched at his collar when he was first introduced to it so I used to only put it on for a our or so a day untill he left it alone & then I left it on for longer periods.

Tristan also scratches at his neck, ever since I got him (13 weeks old). I thought it was his collar, too, but he's still scratching a month later. He'll sit down and scratch the back of neck about four or five times a day for about 5 seconds. I'm not too worried at this point, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on him!

Jack, who was diagnosed with SM scratching right away (10 weeks), like many puppies with a new collar. The vet thought it was allergies. But that should eventually stop, if it does not and the dog "bunny hops" than it is probably worth digging more into.

Back