PDA

View Full Version : Any guys doing agility with their dog?

Chuck
7th June 2009, 01:13 PM
I have been so intrigued by Agility, and would like to train Cooper just for fun. As I look at this it appears to be dominated by females. Must I break the sex barrier and be the first guy and dog, or has that already been done? I am a little self conscious, and do not want to look out of place. So, are there any guys doing this

Cathy Moon
7th June 2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Chuck, I know a guy who does agility with his cavalier here in Ohio - he runs with a ruby, and his wife runs with a blenheim. :thmbsup: As far as I know they aren't members on these forums, though.

jld
7th June 2009, 02:45 PM
I do agility with Dixie and there are quite a few men in our class..... It is so much fun. Do it !!!!!!

Cathy Moon
7th June 2009, 03:06 PM
In agility competition, I would say there are nearly as many men as women competing in Northern Ohio! Don't worry - lots of men compete; but not especially with the cavalier breed. :)

Jay
7th June 2009, 03:51 PM
There are lots of guys who do agility with their dogs. One dog that Gem competes against is a beautiful cocker spaniel who is run by her "dad". My husband initially started training Gem and I was training our other dog, Monty. When it be became obvious that Monty was not enjoying agility, he stepped down and I took over Gem's training. In Sapphire's foundation class, there is a guy training his French Bulldog. You won't be the only guy there, so GO FOR IT! You will have a blast.
J.

Mindysmom
7th June 2009, 07:37 PM
When I went to an agility demonstration there were probably about as many guys as gals. In our small class with Mindy there was one other woman and a man. From the little I've done it's great fun. Mindy really enjoyed it and I think Max is going to as well.

MadPip
7th June 2009, 10:27 PM
I do agility just for fun with my two, and they are the only Cavaliers at our club who do it, but there are men running some other breeds. I would say go for it. You'll enjoy it, and most dogs enjoy it. All Cavaliers I've seen when I've gone to watch proper competitions have been rather good, maybe a little outclassed by the poodles on occasion, but that adds to the fun.

tara
8th June 2009, 01:03 AM
I watched a show on Animal Planet last night where Greg Louganis (sp?) -- the Olympic Diver -- was doing agility with his dogs!

Lani
8th June 2009, 02:46 AM
Lucky has done agility. We had a man in a our class, so it's not all women.

Cooper will have a blast

SuzRN
8th June 2009, 04:03 AM
I am training Chelsea for agility for fun also. Have not started with Vivie yet. So far in my group clasese there have only been women but have seen about 1/3 running with their dogs at matches. Lots of fun good exerecise(my need), at least give it a try with foundation.

mhabca
9th June 2009, 02:14 AM
It's definitely mainly women in our club. In fact, my son is the only male. However, at the Trial we were just in in May, I would say that about half the competitors were male. It's great fun - you'd really enjoy it.

L.

Mindysmom
9th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Started puppy agility with Max last night. There are four pups - three border collies and Max! One of the border's came with both her mom and dad.