• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any guys doing agility with their dog?

Chuck

I have been so intrigued by Agility, and would like to train Cooper just for fun. As I look at this it appears to be dominated by females. Must I break the sex barrier and be the first guy and dog, or has that already been done? I am a little self conscious, and do not want to look out of place. So, are there any guys doing this

Hi Chuck, I know a guy who does agility with his cavalier here in Ohio - he runs with a ruby, and his wife runs with a blenheim. (y) As far as I know they aren't members on these forums, though.

I do agility with Dixie and there are quite a few men in our class..... It is so much fun. Do it !!!!!!

In agility competition, I would say there are nearly as many men as women competing in Northern Ohio! Don't worry - lots of men compete; but not especially with the cavalier breed. :)

There are lots of guys who do agility with their dogs. One dog that Gem competes against is a beautiful cocker spaniel who is run by her "dad". My husband initially started training Gem and I was training our other dog, Monty. When it be became obvious that Monty was not enjoying agility, he stepped down and I took over Gem's training. In Sapphire's foundation class, there is a guy training his French Bulldog. You won't be the only guy there, so GO FOR IT! You will have a blast.
J.

When I went to an agility demonstration there were probably about as many guys as gals. In our small class with Mindy there was one other woman and a man. From the little I've done it's great fun. Mindy really enjoyed it and I think Max is going to as well.

I do agility just for fun with my two, and they are the only Cavaliers at our club who do it, but there are men running some other breeds. I would say go for it. You'll enjoy it, and most dogs enjoy it. All Cavaliers I've seen when I've gone to watch proper competitions have been rather good, maybe a little outclassed by the poodles on occasion, but that adds to the fun.

I watched a show on Animal Planet last night where Greg Louganis (sp?) -- the Olympic Diver -- was doing agility with his dogs!

Lucky has done agility. We had a man in a our class, so it's not all women.

Cooper will have a blast

I am training Chelsea for agility for fun also. Have not started with Vivie yet. So far in my group clasese there have only been women but have seen about 1/3 running with their dogs at matches. Lots of fun good exerecise(my need), at least give it a try with foundation.

It's definitely mainly women in our club. In fact, my son is the only male. However, at the Trial we were just in in May, I would say that about half the competitors were male. It's great fun - you'd really enjoy it.

L.

Started puppy agility with Max last night. There are four pups - three border collies and Max! One of the border's came with both her mom and dad.

Back