PDA

View Full Version : Really worried about Poppy

Poppy Ruby
9th June 2009, 03:01 PM
Hi all, i have a 5 month old Tri Colour called Poppy. She is an absolute dote but unfortunately very small. We have here about 10 weeks and she only weights 2.5kgs. She hasnt gained any weight since we got her. She has had diarrhae for most of this time and has been to the vet on numerous occasions who has changed here diet but the diaarhae hasnt gone away.
She was at the kennels last weekend and was looked after by a King Charles breeder who started her on some goats milk. I tried this at home and she looked like she started to put some weight on but the diaarhae persisted. I have been back at the vet this weekend and she has told me no milk and she is now on a perscription dog food. The food smells absolutely gross, looks really bland. We cant get her to eat anything. She is surviving on about 40g of food per day which isnt enough esp with the diaarhae. She has been on the new z/d food for a couple of days so i am hoping for once for her to have a normal poo!!
I am really worried for her is looks so tiny and frail. The vet has said that she should be double her weight. Sorry for the long ramble...has anyone any advice. The vet has suggested when she goes in to be spayed that they carry out a biopise on the intenstines.
L

Karlin
9th June 2009, 03:06 PM
Sent you a PM. Give me a ring if you'd like.

sarahso
9th June 2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear she is poorly, i hope she starts to pick up soon.

this may be no use at all, but when any of mine are under the weather & have an off tummy, i try them with chicken & rice, just little bits.

hope you are ok, you must be so worried.

chloe92us
9th June 2009, 07:06 PM
I think your instincts are right- you know something is not right with her. My advice would be to go see another vet asap and start fresh. Any dog with chronic diarrhea is not good, let alone a tiny pup. I think this sounds very serious since she has not gained a pound in 10 weeks. I would go see another vet, like, yesterday. Keep us updated.

Love my Cavaliers
9th June 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm assuming she has had her stool checked for parasites, bacteria, etc. Have they tried any medications with her? My breeder swears on canned pumpkin and baby food chicken for diarrhea. I also agree with the advice to go see a different vet or if you have a specialty service near you, you could see a vet who specializes in internal medicine.

Poppy Ruby
9th June 2009, 11:14 PM
She has had no tests yet, vet has here on the Hills z/d awful stuff. The pellets are huge, she has been eating James Wellbeloved.
This evening we gave her her bowl with a mix of her james wellbeloved and the z/d and she removed all of the z/d from the bowl and ate the rest.
I know that we all in the house need to relax more about the feeding as i am sure she is picking up on our anxiety.
She seems to really like carrots. The problem is the food is so bland and trying to entice her to eat it. Is there anything you guys add to the dry food to make it more appealing?
Going to persist and let her have some more goats milk and see how she goes. Searched the garden cant find any runny poohs...she has eaten some food today may eat nothing tomorrow:(:(

Lani
10th June 2009, 12:53 AM
If I were you I really would see another vet. My sister's dog was a buffet of parasites as a puppy - bad stuff: worms, giardia, coccidia, and her local vet said he was fine and told her to give chicken and rice. She tried everything, probiotics, raw, etc. Then FINALLY, after many weeks of trusting that vet and thinking things would resolve themselves, went to a new vet and got the tests and meds she needed to kill the parasites.

I really hope you'll try a new vet. Some vets really are just not very good, while others, the ones we stay with and keep our pets well, are wonderful.

meljoy
10th June 2009, 09:55 AM
Hi,

Just a thought on how to make her meals more appealing. When ever we have a roast dinner Leo gets some home made gravey mixed in his dry food for a treat. The gravey is made with veg water and meat juices. I dont know if that would be too rich for your little ones tummy but Leo practically licks the bowl for a long long time after its empty:lol:

Good luck

Mel

lorebringer
10th June 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your stuggle with your little lady. Well done for trying so hard to get her well, I know how frustrating it can be. I can't really add to the advice already given. I would recommend seeing another vet because it has been going on so long. Ask for a stool sample to be taken for analysis (to check for parasites). Also, out of experience, if she'll eat the JWB food then keeping her on it is prob the best way to go. Getting them to eat anything when they have a dodgy belly can be quite a challenge so sticking to what she will eat is good. Also, if she is eating there is prob no need to try to entice her (she's already doing it!). The general rule with food is little and often when they have diahorroea, so instead fo having one/two big meals maybe have four or five smaller ones through out the day.

I really hope you get this solved soon, please keep us updated.

Poppy Ruby
10th June 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all of your comments, have just been onto the vet again. She is booked in next week for a scan and to have her bloods done.
We have to try as best we can keep her on the z/d for the week. All great in theory getting her to eat it is something else.....
She wants her off the goats milk asap, so i'll do my best. Its going to be a tough week. I will let you know how we get on.

Lani
10th June 2009, 06:26 PM
She is booked in next week for a scan and to have her bloods done.

Any reason why the vet didn't do blood tests today? Has she had a fecal done?

Love my Cavaliers
10th June 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm trying to understand why she hasn't had a fecal test done yet. In my experience that is usually the first thing done when a dog has diarrhea. Maybe the vet has always suspected something else, but this seems to have been going on for quite some time. A fecal is really simple to do - even with a diarrhea sample. Maddie had horrible parasites once with pure liquid and sometimes bloody stool. I was still able to get enough of a sample for them to use even though it was almost like water. Would you feel comfortable asking for your vet to do a test on her stool?

Poppy Ruby
11th June 2009, 08:19 PM
Good news, Poppy had here first real pooh today:jump:
This is something to celebrate, her first since we got her. She has starting eating the z/d food, so heres hoping.

Talked to the vet today, she is having a full work up when she goes in on Wednesday. She does seem a lot bouncier today:rah:

tupup
11th June 2009, 10:48 PM
:rah: Poppy did a proper poop!:rah: Thats a really good start & im glad she is eating, ive been following your thread, my girl often has an upset tummy but not nearly as bad as Poppy tho she often turns her nose up at her food so i would imagine you feel like doing a little dance! I hope it continues & that she gets stronger,good luck for weds

Poppy Ruby
16th June 2009, 03:31 PM
The saga continues. Poppys pooh is now normal but she has eaten 1 bowl of food in the last 48 hours.:(:(
She is in with the vet all day tomorrow, so :xfngr: the scan picks up something. She had been doing really well and ate her food 3 days in a row, and now nothing. She looks soo thin and frail.

tupup
16th June 2009, 04:59 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow to you & Poppy, i hope you get some answers:xfngr:

meljoy
16th June 2009, 05:08 PM
Good luck....this must be such a worry for you.....sending hu:xfngr:
and best wishes

Mel

lorebringer
16th June 2009, 05:42 PM
Wohoo for good poo! (it's the simple things in lif ethat make it worth while!)

Hope all goes well tomorrow :)

Poppy Ruby
17th June 2009, 08:26 PM
Got Poppy back from the vet, not good news:(:(

She had bloods, faecals done and an ultrasound. She is anemic and low in protein. She has a small liver and they suspect a porto systemic shunt. Because her liver was soo small they found it difficult to confirm. So they ran bloods while she was fasting and then gave her some fatty food and ran the test again. This will tell whether is is able to absorb/digest the food. We get the results of that next week.
If that confirms the PSS then she will be referred to UCD for further ultrasound and possible surgery.
If its not that then they are looking at Inflamatory Bowel. The bowel was inflammed and they expected this due to the amount of diarahea.
What it did confirm to the vet who was shocked when she saw her is that she is in no condition for spaying or even for a biopsy.
So for the next week we are sticking with the z/d food as it has gotten rid of the diarahae and she is on Flagy.
Possible problem now with the insurance. I insured her the day we got here, i brought her to the vet 5 days later because of the diarahae. The vet said that they insurance may look at the history and say that the illness was existing at the time of the insurance date so we wont be covered. It cost 500 for today and it will cost over 2000 if she has to go to UCD. IF the insurance doesnt cover it, not sure what we are going to do:(:(

meljoy
18th June 2009, 01:11 PM
Im so sorry you're having such a terrible time and now the extra worry of insurance:(

You never know. Call your insurance and see what they'll cover then at least you can go forward knowing what to expect!

Good luck

Mel

Lani
18th June 2009, 01:27 PM
Poor Poppy. I'm glad they finally found out what all her troubles were though. Flagyl should help a lot with the diarrhea and inflammation.

I would call your insurance as well, although unfortunately I think they will probably consider it a pre-existing condition, but all policies are different so it wouldn't hurt to ask. (Lucky had chronic diarrhea/colitis as a puppy too and subsequent vet visits for the same thing were excluded because he was taken in during the waiting period for the policy to take effect)

Poppy Ruby
21st June 2009, 12:06 AM
The insurance forms have gone in and bile test results due next week. Called in at the vet again for supplies, Poppy has only eaten about 1 1/2 cans of food in a week. She is really lifeless today and is refusing all food.
The vet has given me some steriods for her to stimulate her appetite, if she continues the way she is i cant see her lasting the week.:(:(:( She doesnt seem in any pain she is just skin and bones and totally lifeless now, its no life for her. She wont be able for any surgery.
Keep breaking down when i have a cuddle with her, maybe its better for her to go to sleep

chloe92us
21st June 2009, 04:02 AM
OMG- I feel so bad for you. Don't give up on her yet! I could strangle your vet, honestly. I can't believe none of this blood & fecal testing was done earlier, I just don't get it!

I hope she pulls through. Big hugs to you.

arasara
21st June 2009, 05:58 AM
i just am reading this story now - i agree with Chloe - with such a little one, I don't understand why there was such a relaxed attitude when it came to testing. Big hugs to Poppy and I hope she can pull through this :xfngr:

Good luck :hug:

Phoebe
21st June 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm also just reading this thread now. I am so sorry that you and your little one are going through such a tough time. I do so hope that things improve. :hug:

tupup
21st June 2009, 10:45 AM
Poor you & poor little Poppy,im so sorry to hear shes so bad.Try to stay strong,i hope she improves:xfngr::xfngr:
Will say a prayer for you both,take care:hug::hug:

harleyfarley
21st June 2009, 11:33 AM
Do you think she is suffering and in pain, if not then i would hold fire, does keep fluids down and how are her motions now, i dont suppose she has much to pass. What does the vet think, has he given her fluid by drip, she may be very dehydrated and rest is probably what is best for her. Let us know how she is doing, fingers crossed. di

Lani
23rd June 2009, 03:40 AM
I am so sad to read the update on Poppy. I hope she's turned a corner and is feeling better ...

How is Poppy doing now?

Heritage Cavaliers
23rd June 2009, 05:16 AM
My prayers are with you and Poppy and I pray for a speedy recovery. Please dont loose hope on your little one...

Karlin
23rd June 2009, 10:55 AM
I am so sorry you are going through all this. I'd try ice cream, raw hamburger, anything that might stimulate her interest and get a little bit of food into her. I know people who have done all these things to try and maintain weight.

It is very strange that these basic tests were not conducted at an early stage -- this should normally be routine for vets from early on in identifying a problem, not just trying foods (to me it would have made far more sense to do bloods and faecals long before trying different foods -- and the lack of growth would have pointed to perhaps an urgent underlying problem :( ). :sl*p:

My thoughts are with you; hoping Poppy will pull through.

lorebringer
23rd June 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm so sorry ot hear about little Poppy, hopefully things work themselves out for her and you. You'll be in my thoughts.

mlhirsch
23rd June 2009, 08:07 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Poppy. Your story is just breaking my heart. I am hoping that your vet can give her IV fluids in case she is dehydrated. I am not sure where you are located, but maybe you should try another vet, maybe an emergency one. There has to be someone who can help you figure this out. Another opinion may be the best route to get to the bottom of this. Have them fax over all the results. You are in my thoughts and I am hoping you can get to the bottom of this. Keep your chin up!!!

Nicki and Elvis
23rd June 2009, 10:01 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Poppy, I really hope she is pulling through, my little fella had a similar problem when he was small and finds it very difficult to fight off any parasites that he can pick up.

My thoughts are with you and please keep us updated as to how Poppy is progressing.

:xfngr:

frecklesmom
24th June 2009, 02:27 AM
This is so sad for you and Poppy. Do try the most tempting food to bring her spirits back. She sounds ill and depressed. :hug:to you both.

Lisa_T
24th June 2009, 03:01 AM
If she's that listless I'd get her back to a vet and demand that they put her on an IV to get fluids and some nutrients into her. And if it's the same vet you've been using, I'd be waving those results at them and wanting to know WHY something wasn't done sooner. It's basic common sense to take great care of a little pup with the runs, and a little pup with the runs and no weight gain is a pretty obvious flag.

Poppy Ruby
24th June 2009, 01:17 PM
Some good news at last, test confirmed that the Liver is functioning fine and a bacterial infection was found in her stools. Dont have all of the details, got a call from the vet last night, so estastic it wasnt the shunt i didnt really follow the rest. She is to go onto an antibiotic to clear the infection and help with the inflamed bowel, plus a course of steriods, as i say not 100% sure till i call in today.
She is refusing the z/d perscription food. A few collegues told me to cook some liver and give it to her and she polished it off quick smart. I mentioned this to the vet who was cautious because of the inflamed bowel and her sensitive stomach. I was just happy to see her eat. She did say to try some chicken. The poor mite she just wants something tasty. In fairness, i did pay for the liver this morning, the poohs in the garden werent pretty:yuk::yuk:
So fingers crossed, she makes a good recovery. I am new to all of this, so i take some repsonsibility in not pushing the vet for test. Lesson learned. I just want my beautiful puppy to grow and have a long happy life:grin::grin:

Lani
24th June 2009, 01:42 PM
I am new to all of this, so i take some repsonsibility in not pushing the vet for test. Lesson learned. I just want my beautiful puppy to grow and have a long happy life:grin::grin:

It's clear you like your vet, because you're really being too kind. Vets are the ones with the education and expertise so they should know when tests need to be ordered. My vet offers to run tests for me almost every time I go in for something. They're not pushed on me, but I am offered a range of diagnostic options - some more cautious than others and he explains why the tests should be ordered.

I'm really happy that Poppy's test results seem to offer hope, it's a shame though that this didn't happen a long time ago. I hope now that your vet knows what's wrong you can get the proper treatment so she's back on track to long, healthy & happy puppyhood. :rah:

Brian M
24th June 2009, 02:00 PM
Hi

So happy theres some light at the end of that long dark tunnel you and poor Poppy have been going through ,so lets now hope the future is a lot brighter for the two of you .

Warmest Wishes

briian:)

harleyfarley
24th June 2009, 02:05 PM
oh thank goodness, been thinking about poppy and hopeing for the best, I hope things continue to improve, di

pippa
24th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Just seen this thread now. Sorry you have been having such a hard time.

I hope poppy continues to improve.

Cavaliers2kiss
24th June 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm glad Poppy is doing better.

Several years ago I had a similar situation with Dolly, a very small adult rescue I adopted. All tests were fine, but without flagyl she had tummy troubles. After several months, my vet suggested getting in contact with Lew Olsen of B-naturals. The probiotics she suggested solved Dolly's problem and that was two years ago.

My Cavaliers will not eat prescription food either. I feed them baby food chicken, turkey or beef mixed as a paste with baby food rice or oatmeal. This is a very lowfat meal. After a few days of this I add just the baby food meat to their kibble.

I hope Poppy continues to improve.

chloe92us
24th June 2009, 03:17 PM
I was so worried that we hadn't heard from you. Thank God she's pulled through. My advice would be to forget the special food and boil her chicken (plain) and rice. The liver is probably too rich for her, although you could maybe chop it up real small and mix it in with whatever you feed her to make it more appealing.

:hug: Hang in there, life is all about learning the hard way, right? Just keep in mind that you cannot trust your vet (or any doctor) 100%. YOU usually know when there's a problem and you have to trust your instincts, they are usually correct.

Lisa_T
25th June 2009, 01:56 AM
What a relief! I'm glad she's picking up. The yoghurt is a good idea too - I remember reading a case of a baby (human!) whose situation was not unlike your pup's. Constant tummy upset and no weight gain. Baby was on the point of being written off as 'failing to thrive' when someone suggested probiotic yoghurt. The baby never looked back, and so long as he had his yoghurt every day he was absolutely fine. I was told to give my girls yoghurt by the breeder and they love it.

SuzRN
25th June 2009, 05:11 AM
I am so glad she is improving, have pups with sensitive tummys too. Just this am gave a round of pepcid to them both. Have fed the chicken and rice mix also, read somwhere to make it heavy on th chicken. Good luck with tx and food, my breeder suggests and I feed my adult Royal Canin sensitive stomach, easy on tummy and taste good.

lorebringer
25th June 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm so please to read your update - made my day! Let's hope it's all good news from now on!

tupup
25th June 2009, 11:07 AM
Im so glad to hear theres been an improvement in Poppy & that your vet has finally got something figured out. i hope Poppy goes from strength to strength now:)
When i first got Rubes at 4years old she had a poorly tum almost daily(& was very skinny) & we'd be back to vets almost weekly,he tried steroid injections often,tablets,would say try this bran that bran(i could go on!)the last time i said im going to try her on probiotics & he said that was going to be his next suggestion:shifty: Since then she has her probys every night & its rare for her to have an upset tummy.I really cannot praise them highly enough!
i learnt the same lesson-the vet doesnt always know best(this was prior to me finding CT) however when he tried everything but one simple test for her eye problems& at the same time seemed clueless on her SM i changed vets:mad:
Good luck plse keep us updated & i hope you get a little relax after these awful weeks:hug:

Poppy Ruby
25th June 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and words of comfort. Got an unusual call from my hubby today, the dog was barking (she never barks) and looking for food:jmp2:
My neighbour mention the probiotic, she lets her dogs have some actimel. I might wait until the infection clears just in case. She likes the chicken so i might try that again one night.
Medication is a big awkward. She is on 20mg, but the tablet only comes in 50g. So i have to open the capsule and split out enough. Bit of a pain but hopefully it does the trick. I am hoping all of my stories will be positive from now on.
I'll keep you all updated:thnku:

Poppy Ruby
14th July 2009, 01:56 PM
THought i would update you on Poppys progess. Not great i am afraid. After being on Steriods for the last 3 weeks she has yet to gain any weight, she was weighted on Saturday 2.4Kg, just over 5 lbs. She was 6 months old on Friday. She is on antibitocs for the campylobacter infection and due for my tests next week to see if it has cleared up.
To add to all of our problems she has now got a respiratory infection which she should have because of all of the antibitoics she is one. This infection has caused her eyes to get infected and she now has a small ulcer developing on her left eye. She is now on 5 sets of medication:

Steriods to stimulate appetite and reduce inflamation of bowels
Antibiotic for camplylobacter
Antibiotic for repsiratory infection
Cough syrup
Eye drops for ulcer
She was eating grand the last few weeks but the diarahoe return. The vet put her back on the perscription food which she hates and refused to eat, so she lost weight over the weekend. I have put her back on the James Wellbeloved and letting her have some chicken, which she loves.

The vets are at a total loss, she is having all of her test rerun on monday and after that they are referring her to UCD as her immune system seems to be shot.

So my saga continues, medication is a complete pain, she hides the tablets in her mouth and i find them later on. Have started to crush up some of them and am giving her them with a couple of table spoons of actimel. Any other ideas:bang::bang::bang:

One day i will come on here with good news. We are off on hols at the end of August and she will be going to Kennels so i want some piece of mind before i go. Not concerned about the kennels, she has been there before and they guy who runs it has breed Cavailiers for years. He will probably fatten her up for me:xfngr:

Jasperxxgabby
14th July 2009, 08:39 PM
I am sorry that you have all this worry overy Poppy, poor little thing as been through a lot, bless her :flwr:.

Jasper is quite fussy what he eats and it can be hard for him take tablets and medicine, what I do is mix them with the puppy milk you can buy in tesco (he is 3 and a half) and he laps it all up ignorant of the fact there is any medication it it :).

Best wishes, I hope all Poppy's health problems get resolved quickly :flwr:.

Love my Cavaliers
14th July 2009, 08:48 PM
Have you tried pill pockets (made by Greenies)? They come in chicken and beef flavor for dogs and salmon flavor for cats. I give Riley one of her pills in the cat pill pocket because it is so much smaller. I combine two of them in the smaller dog size. She absolutely LOVES them and they're small enough to just swallow without chewing. They are very soft and maleable and you can close it right around the pill so it's not sticking out. Worth a try if you're still having trouble getting pills down.

Lani
14th July 2009, 08:53 PM
I'd second Pill Pockets. When our Julie stopped eating, Pill pockets were one of the very few things she'd eat. They're pricey, but worth a try if you can find them.

My guys love to eat so I have no trouble with pills ... I usually make a little ball of creme cheese and put the pill and the middle. Sounds like Poppy might be a little too smart for that though ...

Hope Poppy is better soon.

davey
14th July 2009, 08:55 PM
hi, i know u said ur sorted with the kennel, but if ur stuck or u think ur cav needs extra tlc...i can take care of him for ya no prob, i live in mayo and have a completely secure area ...live close to beach and woods, i am up and down to dublin/ meath regularly, so dont be stuck..only an option :)
hope things work out okay

Karlin
14th July 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm really glad that in general she has been doing better and a cause was found for some of her problems. :) Going by your description, you may have an immune compromised dog that is going to just be like this, which may pose an o going challenge (and I'd inform the breeder). On the other hand perhaps she will just pull through this phase and these various illnesses -- sometimes sickly dogs get a lot better in adulthood when their immune system strengthens. She is still terribly small though.

One thing you might need to seriously consider -- if the kennel guy (I am pretty sure I know who this is) is actually able to get her to eat with no problem -- is that much of her refusal to eat is behavioural and is primarily something she does for attention and occasional interesting tidbits from you, even to the extent of weight loss and putting her well-being at risk.

This could well be a possibility given how you regularly are rotating foods and trying to lure her to eat, and the fact that she will suddenly eat a new food, then stop again. This is pretty classic behaviour when there's a learned behaviour issue going on. The difficulty is how to tell.

If she eats when kennelled it will be because she knows she gets her food and that's it and she can't create any interesting attention around the event. There's no one to play up to and no one inadvertantly rewarding this very unwanted behaviour.

I'd have a read about this issue here and follow the directions to a T if she comes back with the report of 'no problems eating'. This is a really common problem and very rarely a dog will carry it to real extremes.

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=24168

It may be that it would be better to have your husband feed her or whoever feeds her least, to cut the association with not eating and any possible game-playing.

Also like Lani I am still a bit concerned that the vets didn't order these tests and other long delays in seeing some of the things you have been describing. It isn't your job to have to demand tests be done -- they should be identifying and eliminating all possibilities and this type of test to me would have been one of the very first things I'd have done as well as giardia --these are vet basics, not things clients are supposed to be asking for. I'd be inclined to get a fresh pair of eyes and a second opinion. Made some suggestions when we spoke, or PM me for further detail again. I'd do that before UCD.

Finally: I would definitely not leave an ill dog in kennels. She sounds from your posts like she is truly just barely surviving and has been at death's door only recently -- and has several quite serious issues and is on a lot of medication. A kennel is a serious slam to a weak dog's immune system and she is barely larger than a 2 month old puppy. Many kennels will not accept an ill dog as well -- as a risk to everyone else's dogs. It isn't the issue of how good the kennel is; it's that in such an environment she will be exposed to lots of potential illness from lots of dogs that could be carrying anything. A healthy dog would be OK (yet even with healthy dogs, kennels are a common source of illness!); an ill dog should definitely not be left in a kennel. I would home board or have someone you know mind her or if a vet's does boarding I'd leave her at a vet practice for daily care.

Poppy Ruby
15th July 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. My neighbour, gave me a something that she uses for her cats to give them the tables, its like a syringe, worked this morning. She has started to have proper poohs now thank god, you know the auld saying be carefuly what you wish for, my god, how can something so small make something so big:w*w:
She has had bloods taken and the pooh sample is being sent off to be tested again to see if the camplyobacter infection has gone. The vet did say that maybe as she gets older she will be able to fit the infection better. She did mention immune compromised. I have been given a contact in UCD who has been made aware of Poppys case, hoping to get an appointment end of next week. We need to get the current test results back first.
She is a million times better than a month ago when i honestly thought i would find her dead in the morning. When she eats she looks great, even the vet noticed, the difference in her with a full belly. She has gotten taller and is very bouncy and other than being tiny she looks great. People are always complimenting her on her shiny coat.
She has had to wear a thing on her head because of her eye, just in case she starts to scratch it. Hopefully that will clear up in a week. I am taking one thing at a time. Got her food sorted, sticking to James Wellbeloved and some chicken on occasion. She seems to like the actimel so going to keep giving that to her. I'll try and figure out how to get a picture of her with her bonnet:-):-)

Poppy Ruby
15th July 2009, 10:25 AM
hoping her new picture comes up

lorebringer
15th July 2009, 11:24 AM
Great to see an update, good that you feel she is getting on better but a pitty about all the set backs. Keep 'em coming and look forward to seeing some pics :thmbsup:

shippers
15th July 2009, 06:38 PM
Just reading this thread now. Poor Poppy - I'm so glad she's doing better at the moment. When we first got Sally she wouldn't eat and I kept changing her food thinking she didn't like it. I wormed her and she had a long 'spaghetti' like worm come out in her poo :grnyuk:. The vet said the wormer had worked if it had come out. After this Sally started to pick up and I eventually settled her on James Wellbeloved dry food with some of a JWB wet pouch on top. She couldn't eat the food quick enough. I know it sounds simple but has Poppy been wormed regularly? Perhaps try JWB dry topped with a bit of JWB wet. Keep us updated and I hope Poppy is better soon.

ice-cavi
16th July 2009, 11:58 PM
Just saw this thread now...So sad you and Poppy had to go through this :(
Hope Poppy will continue to improve ...:flwr:

Poppy Ruby
21st July 2009, 05:39 PM
Poppy is heading to UCD on Monday. She has started to put on weight thankfully but her latest set of bloods have shown another infection. Her proteins levels are up but she is still anemic.
UCD has been given the run down on her problems to date, they will run various test so one way or another we should know within a couple of weeks exactly what is wrong with her. It really is taking all of the godness out of having a dog for the first time. Getting really feb up with it all now, in the vets every couple of days, the total bill for the last 5 weeks is up on 1000 and thats before we go to UCD.

chloe92us
22nd July 2009, 06:56 PM
Have you contacted your breeder?

Karlin
22nd July 2009, 07:59 PM
Sorry you are having so many problems. As noted, have you spoken to your breeder? This information is important for a breeding programme and a health focused breeder will want to know about these problems. Also a good breeder would often give some financial support in such a case as this.

Unofotunately there are never guarantees with living creatures though -- as with people, some just have poor immune systems or a genetic predisposition to health problems and a commitment to a pet generally means thorugh sickness and in health... Pedigree dogs each have their own sets of genetic problems as well which is why selecting breeders carefully is extra important for buyers. To maximise the chances for a long and healthy life in a dog, it is important to work with health-focused, quality breeders -- which is why I try to promote as much awareness about these issues, and what to look for in a breeder, as I can on this site. Many of us have learned from painful initial experiences how important this is.

Do you have insurance for Poppy? If not it is probably not worth getting at this point but if she does, the majority of these expenses will surely be covered?

Did you try getting a second opinion from a different vets?

Also are your vets aware that cavaliers can seem to have low platelet counts simply because about a third in the breed have large platelets that won't be picked up by automatic counters (and thus they need to be hand counted?).

Poppy Ruby
29th July 2009, 02:38 PM
:xfngr::xfngr:Fingers crossed, nearly afraid to say it Poppy seems to be one the mend. The Camplobacter is gone, Cocidiosis has clearend, eye ulcer mending and she has put on weight, she is now 3.2kg and growing.

We went to UCD on Monday but a waste of a day, they wouldnt perform any tests because she is still on a steriod and had just finished anti biotic. My vet had told them all of this in advance. They seemed to think that everything she had could be explained and hopefully she has recovered. Weaning her off the steriods at the moment and if she lapses to go back to them.

Its like we have a new dog. She is hyper, as my neighbour says she is now acting like a real puppy. UCD said if she continued as she is, she would catch up with weighted & growth...So happy days. Its great to come down in the morning and she is barking for food...never thought i would see the day:):)

Karlin
29th July 2009, 03:07 PM
That's really great news to hear! :)

They seemed to think that everything she had could be explained and hopefully she has recovered. Weaning her off the steriods at the moment and if she lapses to go back to them.

I would still have serious reservations about the vet treatment and approach from beginning to end. I think UCD is right. They probably took one look at her and simply felt there was no point in taking bloods etc. Taking bloods can be stressful and no point in those extra costs so I wouldn't call it a waste of a day that this wasn't done. :thmbsup:

I'd consider a different vet -- I think a second opinion from a different vets would probably have given you the same response as UCD. It does take time for these internal infections to clear up.

I'd also review the whole feeding process and be sure she isn't being unintentionally encouraged to refuse food. The link I gave a while back is really the best way to approach feeding -- don;t switch foods around and don't coax, just put the food down, give a set time to eat it, and remove what is left without fussing and no treats or food til next schedules meal. Do not give her more than 10 minutes to eat. :thmbsup:

For such a small and repeatedly ill do I'd also recommend home boarding rather than putting her in a kennel, as the latter are major sources of illness even when kept very clean. She obviously has some immune system problems and needs not to have her system subjected to further stress. TKC on the board does home boarding as does Thelly on the board; TKC is probably closer to you (Ratoath) and is a dog trainer as well (Thelly is in Kiltiernan, and is also on the board). Let either know I recommended them to you if you PM one or the other, and that you are a member of the board.

Karlin
29th July 2009, 03:12 PM
Was going to add there's a good chance she picked up that range of problems from a kennels in the first place - that is the kind of thing that gets passed all around dogs in kennels in group exposure (she would have had to be exposed from this type of situation to have acquired all these things). Adult dogs often shrug it off, but pups have weak immune systems and are particularly vulnerable. Hence would always advise puppies be home boarded when at all possible and any dog with immune problems/prone to illness. :)

Love my Cavaliers
29th July 2009, 08:37 PM
Madison had coccidiosis a couple of years ago when she was two. The diarrhea came and went, but when it was there it was pure liquid with no bulk or form to it at all. She could have a normal stool in the morning and then have the liquidy stool later in the day. Someone told me that the body sloughs off the coccidiosis bacteria at different times of the day and that's why we saw such variation every day. It did take forever for that to clear. Luckily she did not lose any weight and maintained a great appetite. Glad to hear Poppy's gained weight and is starting to like food.

chloe92us
29th July 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm so glad Poppy is feeling better, what a relief for you. :wggle:

tupup
29th July 2009, 08:43 PM
:)Im so pleased to hear Poppy is on the up & looking for food,thats great news

Claire L
30th July 2009, 12:53 PM
I've been following this thread (actually thought I'd posted on it :lpy: )

I'm delighted to read that Poppy is doing better :w**h**:
:hug:

lorebringer
30th July 2009, 07:16 PM
So great to hear! :)

harleyfarley
30th July 2009, 07:45 PM
i have read this thread often but not able to offer any help i just read and hoped, im glad she is improving and hope it continues, di

Poppy Ruby
2nd August 2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys, she is doing fab, i have weaned her off the steriods. We have had no problem with her feeding since the infections have cleared, i'd say all of the problems with her appetite were down to her being sick.

She was sick before she went into the kennels, actually it was when she got the kennel cough that she went down hill. She eats about 50g twice a day and a bit of chicken if we are having some. I cant believe the change in her, i'd say if she continues as she is she will have caught up in terms of weight by the end of the month.

At least i can go on hols now and not be soo worried. I have no concerns about the kennels

Jay
3rd August 2009, 12:22 AM
So glad to hear that Poppy is doing so well! Bet you are feeling so relieved!
J.

WoodHaven
3rd August 2009, 12:42 AM
She has had no tests yet, vet has here on the Hills z/d awful stuff. The pellets are huge, she has been eating James Wellbeloved.
This evening we gave her her bowl with a mix of her james wellbeloved and the z/d and she removed all of the z/d from the bowl and ate the rest.
I know that we all in the house need to relax more about the feeding as i am sure she is picking up on our anxiety.
She seems to really like carrots. The problem is the food is so bland and trying to entice her to eat it. Is there anything you guys add to the dry food to make it more appealing?
Going to persist and let her have some more goats milk and see how she goes. Searched the garden cant find any runny poohs...she has eaten some food today may eat nothing tomorrow:(:(

Stuff to make food more palatable:
Cook liver in a couple of cups of water-- chicken or calfs liver-- pour some of the liver juice (NO LIVER pieces) over the chunks of dry dog food. This helps, especially when the pieces of food are large (softens them).
A bit of yogurt on the food. If you were in the USA, I'd suggest benbac, fastrack. Nutrical/nutristat helps get the pups some nutrition.

Coccidia and giardia are sometimes the culprits when a dogs system is totally out of balance.
Good luck to you, Sandy

Opps, should have read to the end first... glad to hear she is feeling better

diddy
3rd August 2009, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to say Im sooooo relieved that shes finally turned the corner.Go Poppy Go.

lorebringer
4th August 2009, 08:52 PM
So brilliant to hear she has turned around! All of your hard work has paid off, well done. :)

Poppy Ruby
6th August 2009, 11:47 AM
Dying to get Poppy weighted again, hoping she is at the 4kg mark:mexwav:

tupup
6th August 2009, 01:59 PM
:xfngr::xfngr:She is too! Can you put her on your bathroom scales?i do with my girls every sunday morning,a "sit" & a treat & we're done:)

george108
6th August 2009, 10:58 PM
Absolutely thrilled to hear that Poopy is on the mend. She sure has had a very tough time. Fingers crossed she'll be 100% in no time! :-)