• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Im looking for a puppy

MrsMammy

Hi all,
Im looking for a puppy to join our family. We are living in Meath but are prepared to travel for a puppy.

Can you recommend a good breeder please? We went to see a couple last weekend and found a lady with six litters of pups! Another had dogs living in poor conditions so we left empty handed.:(

Thank you

MM

Unforunately we do not allow breeders to be named in this context on the board {due to possible litigation issues}

If you look through the board there is lots of advice of how to go about looking for a puppy.

Unfortunately most of the Irish breeders do not carry out even basic health testing, so you may need to be prepared to travel to England/Scotland for a puppy.

Good for you for walking away from those breeders.
Welcome to the forum and take your time to browse around and read up on the hereditary health issues that crop up in the cavalier breed.
A cavalier is a long term investment,both financial and emotional so be sure you put a lot of care into your research.(We'll try and help)
Ideally choose your cavalier even more carefully than you choose your husband:wink:
Sins

"Ideally choose your cavalier even more carefully than you choose your husband:wink:"

Good one Sins!

I have to add tho, MM has come to the right place. I SO wish I had found this site BEFORE I acquired Rudy. Altho I would've never probably come across him....and cannot imagine our world without him in it....I would've been much better prepared. MM, this forum/board is a wealth of information. And if you just need a shoulder to cry on or someone to share a funny puppy story or your latest picture....we are all here!

Hi from Dungarvan.Please be careful when choosing the breeder.Most breeders here are not good.Ask alot of questions,if theyare breeding more than one breed be suspicious.If they have alot of females being bred,be careful.Allways ask to see were the dogs are kept.In a stable or outside isnt good.Look to see how clean the woman or man is,phone around dont buy the first pup.Oh and dont take the kids....Take your time.

The single most important aspect of getting a puppy is whether the breeder properly health tests. In my book that means following the MVD protocol and having the dogs heart clear as certified by a CARDIOLOGIST not the local vet. Sadly very few Irish breeders do this most *basic, basic* recommendation of the international breed clubs -- greatly contributing to why half of all cavaliers will have a heart murmur (eg serious heart disease) by age 5. :( I also would not consider a breeder who has not MRId their breeding dogs for syringomyelia . At this time I am unaware of any irish breeders doing this but hard research may uncover some.

I now refer puppy buyers generally to the UK.

This is a breed with some serious and potentially very costly health problems so health should be the top priority to have the best chance of a long lived, healthy dog your family can enjoy for many years. Remember this is a 10-14 year investment and taking the time to get a quality, healthy pup from the start is so important.

This is the advice and background you need for looking for a puppy:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=26677

Back