• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shedding

Mindysmom

Meeting up with another Cav owner on our walk last night made me curious about this. This pup was the same age as Max but the tiniest thing I've ever seen (my first experience with a pet shop Cav) and her first Cav. We started talking about shedding (she had one of the non-shedding breeds previously). Mindy sheds a fair bit and always has but Max doesn't really shed. I put this down to Max being a puppy still but this pup (blenheim) was the same age and also shed a lot. Both Mindy and the pup seem to shed their white hair. I

For those of you with multi dogs do the blenheims and tricolours shed more than the solids?

Hi

Having Poppy a Tri and Daisy a Blenheim and Rosie a Ruby I can honestly say I havent a clue they must all be shedding together as there seems to be hair everywhere at the moment ,so it seems the best way is to colour code what you wear to the colour of your Cav which would probaly be OK if you had solids only.:confused:.
And to make matters worse when my cats were alive I had one Ginger Tom and two Pure White Girls.

I have a rubay and a tri and they both shed lots, but I'd say the ruby is shedding more at the moment. There is constant tumbleweed in my house:razz:
I got rid of my carpet in the hall last year and that has made such a difference, its so much easier to keep the floor clean.:jump:

I think my blenheim sheds the most. The constant dust bunnies in my house are mostly white. I think my ruby sheds the least and since my tri is almost all black, I can't tell whether he or my black and tan is second on the worst shedding list. I also don't really notice that they shed more at a particular time of year -it's just constant. Every time I go up or down my hall I pick up dust bunnies.

"Can you sell dog hair, just thinking we could make a mint out of this, di"

think I remember a feature on daytime tv years ago about a woman who knitted jumpers from her dogs hair - not sure thats something I'd be interested in tbh!

My blenheim sheds the most and he does not have a very full coat. My tri sheds a fair amount as well, but not as much, and she is a complete fur ball. My B&T hardly sheds at all, but he doesn't have his full coat yet.

My cats shed more than all of them, and I too have constant tumbleweeds in my house. I've given up on keeping it clean all the time, it is just impossible with 5 animals in the house. :sl*p:

I have a rubay and a tri and they both shed lots, but I'd say the ruby is shedding more at the moment. There is constant tumbleweed in my house:razz:
I got rid of my carpet in the hall last year and that has made such a difference, its so much easier to keep the floor clean.:jump:
"Tumbleweed" what a PERFECT description!! That is exactly what they are, when I go to pick them up, they blow to another corner. Both my Tri and my Blen shedd about the same. My tri just went through a spurt that was crazy. I use a shedding blade (sounds worse than it is) outside, that works the best.

"Tumbleweed" what a PERFECT description!! That is exactly what they are, when I go to pick them up, they blow to another corner. Both my Tri and my Blen shedd about the same. My tri just went through a spurt that was crazy. I use a shedding blade (sounds worse than it is) outside, that works the best.

Thats what we've always called it as well. :D

I always thought my blenheim shed the most, and mostly her white hair, but I think actually they both shed and it's only the white that shows up the most on the black sofas (leather thankfully!:p) and on my clothes. When I sweep the floors there is a definite mixture of black and white with some tan/ chestnut mixed in.

You may not be able to sell all that hair (though I did have a grandmother who knitted jersies out of her samoyeds' hair), but the birds love it if you put the hair in a net (the sort you buy oranges in) and hang it up in the garden. I think Oliver and Aled's hair is keeping all the baby birds in our area warm and cosy!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Leo's shed at the moment is terrible....like you said tumble weed and dust bunnies all over the place.......we have laminate flooring which doesnt hide it as well as a carpet!:eek:

Is it seasonal? it does seem particularly bad at the moment.
Mel

I, too, am wondering if there's a seasonal component to shedding. I seem to be finding much more "fluffballs" (as we call them) lately.

We just put wood floors in the downstairs a few months ago (took out carpet), and OH MY!!! :eek: TUMBLE WEEDS are now in my house too. I do believe my blenheim sheds alot more than my ruby. The hair seems mostly white, and especially when I get done holding him- I'm covered in fur. We brush them often, but the shedding is really heavy at the moment. But they are worth it. :luv:

Ah, the constant battle with floor fuzz - never ending! My Tri lady doesn't shed too much but my Blen boy (9 months) shed like there is no tomorrow. I don't know how he isn't bald! My Working Cocker, who is the same colour as a Ruby Cav, sheds badly too but is still nothing on my Cavalier. We brush them regularly but the floor fuzz remains. It seems to have gotten worse in recent weeks, could be because of the hot weather we have been having. The OH and myself tend to be perminantly covered in hair, not to mention the carpets!

oh, i forgot... my husband and i always talk about how we are growing a 3rd cavalier with all of the tumbleweeds. Sometimes there are just so many, that i swear it is enough for another dog!!!

Well between the two of them they don't even shed 1/10 of what our Golden did so I'll never complain (well hardly ever) about their shedding. Interesting that it seems the white hair either sheds more or is more noticeable.

I would have to agree with hbmama, I do a lot of 'hoovering' as our friends across the pond refer to it. But I must say, it's much less than I did before my son went to college. What does that say about boys and dogs???

Well, here it is, the first week in March and Sophie has begun shedding, after what is locally reported to be our coldest winter in thirty years! I guess that's why she held onto her hair during January and February.

I know this is an old thread but if anyone reading, can I ask is it normal for a 12wk pup to be shedding lots now in Jan?

Back