PDA

View Full Version : My little Misty is falling to pieces

murphy's mum
12th June 2009, 08:46 PM
My poor little Misty seems to be falling to pieces on me at the moment:(

She need to go in to get surgery next Thursday. She an entropion in both of her eyes.

''With an entropion the eyelids roll inward and rub against the cornea of the eye. This can cause a great deal of discomfort for the dog.''

I feel really quite bad, she went to see one of the vets at the practice when I got her about her eye irritation. He gave her anti-biotics, and checked her eyes, with a dye, and said it was fine!:mad:

But we were in to see the head vet today, I thought her left eye looked a little cloudy, and she had a sore tooth. He says she has an ulcerated left eye, because the hair thats folded in is constently rubbing at it:(

The only thing is both of these ''entropions'' are right in the corner of her eyes, a very tricky part to operate on he says. He also thinks her tear ducts could be blocked, but that may just be down to the inflamation.

She also needs two teeth out, and the rest cleaned, and her ear canals looked at, to check the membraine, he's going to shave the insides of her ears to. Apparently her ear canals are narrow, and her ears too hairy, so they can't ''breathe'':confused:

I wish I had pushed the first vet more, when he said her runny eyes were just the result of an over active tear duct. I've just been washing the gunk out twice a day, for 6 months, when what she really needed was surgery!:bang:

And of course none of it is going to be covered by her insurance, as she was treated for an ear problem on her first vet visit, so is classed as pre-existing. Plus the entropion is a pre-existing condition, and dentisty doesn't look to be covered.

She's lying here beside me at the moment without a care in the world, (squashing the cat in the process) oblivious to what is to come next Thursady. The vet wants to tackle all this at once, but says she may need another op on her eyes, because of the proximity to her tear ducts and ''triangular bit in the corner'' (can't mind what he called it).

Do you think it's too late to send her back to the rescue? We've only had her 6 months, perhaps she has Warrenty:lol: (I joke of course) You couldn't pry her away with a crowbar!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/DSC00160.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/mist1.jpg

hbmama
12th June 2009, 09:00 PM
Oh, poor little Misty! Well, at least you are on top of all these things, and hopefully they will be taken care of so you can both rest easier.

harleyfarley
12th June 2009, 09:29 PM
she is a poor babe isnt she? least she has you and she will love you for everything your doing for her and thats payment enough, shame about the insurance though, she looks so lovely such a shame I really hope she gets though this ok, di

Justine
12th June 2009, 09:32 PM
So sorry to here your news.keep your chin up.Its just a bad patch.

Brian M
12th June 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi
She looks a wonderful girl and I bet she knows shes safe and sound with you looking after her .
Best Wishes:)

*Pauline*
12th June 2009, 10:06 PM
Do write to the insurance company. Narrow ear canals and whatever she had done to her ears on her first visit may not be related, it would be unfair to exclude them from your policy.

It's going to be more stressful for you than her. I've heard this eye operation has great results, the sooner it's done the better. If she has some bad teeth, I'm sure it will be a relief for her to have them out.

Try not to worry, once it's done, things should look up for you both :hug:

murphy's mum
13th June 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Pauline, I'll call Axa and see what they say about her ears. I think she was treated for having really dirty ears when we first took her in, so you may be right.

I forgot to ask him if the ulcer was permenant damage, or something that would go away after the irritation had been removed. I'll need to remember and ask.

Has anyone had this type of surgery done on their dogs eyes before? I'll be glad when I get her home, but until then I'll do nothing but worry about her.

She's such litttle super star, even though she's been suffering this irritation, she is nothing but an angel*ng*l Not once has she ever been anything but a loving, playful wee soul. I know her quality of life will be better once the op has been done, if all goes to plan. Until then we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed:xfngr:

sunshinekisses
13th June 2009, 03:05 PM
with the eye surgery, make sure your vet knows what he is doing. I have seen a bad eyelid surgery that had to be redone.

*Pauline*
13th June 2009, 03:09 PM
Pauline, I'll call Axa and see what they say about her ears. I think she was treated for having really dirty ears when we first took her in, so you may be right.

Have found they can't always give definitive replies on the phone, it's up to the claims team, so I would write if you have no joy on the phone. You could have a word with your vet. He/she would be asked if this is a new condition by AXA which it is.

Aileen
14th June 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone :)

I forgot to ask him if the ulcer was permenant damage, or something that would go away after the irritation had been removed. I'll need to remember and ask.

Has anyone had this type of surgery done on their dogs eyes before? I'll be glad when I get her home, but until then I'll do nothing but worry about her.

She's such litttle super star, even though she's been suffering this irritation, she is nothing but an angel*ng*l Not once has she ever been anything but a loving, playful wee soul. I know her quality of life will be better once the op has been done, if all goes to plan. Until then we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed:xfngr:

To answer you question about the eyes yes my first cocker spaniel Penny had it done some years ago and she was alright
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

murphy's mum
14th June 2009, 11:00 PM
To answer you question about the eyes yes my first cocker spaniel Penny had it done some years ago and she was alright
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Thanks Aileen :)

Jasperxxgabby
14th June 2009, 11:48 PM
Thinking of you both, especially little Misty on Thursday. Good luck with your pet insurance. :flwr::hug:

Claire L
15th June 2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear your little one is poorly. I'll be thinking of you both on Thursday and praying everything goes well :hug:.

murphy's mum
16th June 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you for your kind words, we really appreciate it :)

Both Misty and Murphy are in their element this week, as they have my lap to commandeer all day. I have fallen and damaged ligiments in my right ankle,:rolleyes: so am sitting on the couch as much as possible. This of course means muscical chairs to see who can get closest to Mummy:-D

murphy's mum
18th June 2009, 10:39 AM
Well thats my little girl been dropped off:(

It's going to be a very long day, to make it worse I've never had any of my animals undergo anything other than a neuter. The thought of her eye surgery makes me feel very worried.

If you could spare a wee thought for my Misty today it would be really appreciated, she's a lot stronger than me so I know she should be fine, but you can't stop yourself worrying:o

Claire L
18th June 2009, 10:57 AM
Sending you a big :hug:and lots of prayers for little Misty today. I'm sure it will all go very well. I'm not going to tell you to try and distract yourself with shopping or anything else because I've been there and know that it is impossible to do anything except fret all day until you hear that they are ok. So, hang in there and know that we are thinking of you and waiting , just like you, to hear how it all went........ :flwr::hug::hug:

tupup
18th June 2009, 11:26 AM
:hug::hug:from our home to yours:hug::hug:Thinking of you & Misty
Hope today goes quickly & that she's home soon,:xfngr::paw::paw: Take care & plse update when you can

Brian M
18th June 2009, 11:56 AM
Hi

Best of wishes little Misty you will be fine .:)

Jasperxxgabby
18th June 2009, 12:01 PM
Thinking of Misty today.
I know it is a anxious and horrible time waiting for the phone call to say things went well, and then waiting for the time to pick her up, I am thinking of you and willing the day to pass quickly and she will be back home :flwr:

murphy's mum
18th June 2009, 12:52 PM
Thnk you for your kind words, they really mean a lot to me:)

I've to call the vets at 15:30 to see how she's doing so will update you then:xfngr:

Wagtails
18th June 2009, 03:53 PM
We're all thinking of you here in Worcestershire too and holding Misty in our hearts.

Strangely enough I also tore ligaments in my ankle a few weeks ago, so I know just how you are feeling on both counts!

Hope all the vibes from people here are finding their way up to Scotland and that you will be able to collect Misty very soon and give her all the TLC only a Cavvie Mum can give.

Take care and hope you will all be feeling much beeter very soon, Marie-Anne ( + :paw:Megan, :paw:Victoria, :paw:Poppy and :paw:Lucy)

murphy's mum
18th June 2009, 05:49 PM
We're allowed to pick her up in half an hour:rah:

The nurse says everything has went fine, and she's recovering from her anesthetic nicely :D

Claire L
18th June 2009, 06:03 PM
:jump: Great news! Give her a gentle kiss from all of us and :xfngr: for a speedy recovery :hug:

:mexwav::mexwav:

murphy's mum
18th June 2009, 08:22 PM
:updte:

Well she's home bless her :luv:

She looks very battered, although not as bad as I was expecting. Her face still has blood on it, they didn't want to wipe it off in case the wounds started bleeding. But you can see her eyelids are sitting a lot better:)

She had three teeth removed in the end, and the rest cleaned. We gave her a little chicken and rice for tea, not that she ate much, but hopefully got most of her anti-biotics:xfngr:

She's sleeping in the middle of the carpets at the moment, trying to shake off the after effects, as she's still very wobbly.

They've given me a cone for her, hopefully she wont need it but I'm not sure if I should put it on overnight, in case she rubs her eyes?

I need to take her back in on Monday to get checked, so we'll see how she is until then.

tupup
18th June 2009, 09:59 PM
:) Im so glad everything went well, i imagine you are worn away with worry tho isnt it just the best when you collect them!
I hope your brave girl is feeling much better tomorrow & good luck for monday:)

harrysmum
19th June 2009, 12:31 AM
Just catching up with your news, bet its been a very long day for you, but so glad to hear that Misty is back home with you. I hope that she will feel a lot more comfortable once she has recovered from her surgery. :thmbsup::flwr:

murphy's mum
19th June 2009, 12:39 PM
She spent the night in our bed, and Murphy of course icon_whistling

She was very unsettled down stairs, so we caved. She spent the night cuddled into my side, with my arm around her:l*v: Everytime I moved my arm away she started to whimper, so in the end at least one of us had a good nights sleep LOL.

We gave her some Butchers Tripe for breakfast, just in case her mouth was still tender, and it was gone in 2 seconds flat:lol: So nothing wrong with her appetiite this morning.

She's still whimpering every now and then, but I spoke to the vet, who said she's had a hefty dose of painkillers, and its more likely to be disorientation from the anestheticicon_nwunsure

She's lying on my faux fur throw beside me at the moment, she was wrapped in it last night, as she felt very cold after we got her home. Her face is very swollen, she looks like she's been boxing. But you can hardly see the sutures, I think I expected them to be hideous, so I don't think there will be much scarring:xfngr:

Thanks everyone for your support, it was very welcome indead :hug:

sins
19th June 2009, 12:45 PM
It's good to hear she's spent her first night at home.Once she heals up I think she'll be so much more comfortable.Get well soon Misty.
Sins

Cathy Moon
19th June 2009, 12:54 PM
Glad she had a good sleep last night. :flwr: That's positive news that her appetite is good today. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw: that she feels better each day.

You had asked earlier about using the cone on her head - I would put it on her if you can't keep a close eye on her.

Claire L
19th June 2009, 02:01 PM
She spent the night in our bed, and Murphy of course icon_whistling

Uh oh! Guess who's sleeping in your bed tonight then :slp::slp::rotfl:

Glad to hear that Misty is on the mend :rah:

*Pauline*
19th June 2009, 02:32 PM
I agree with Cathy to put the cone on, wouldn't like to think what would happen if she scratches the stitches in her eye.

Poor little girl has been through the wars but it should all be getting better from now on, the worst is over.

A big :hug: to you both.

murphy's mum
19th June 2009, 11:46 PM

We haven't needed the cone so far, I'm stuck on the couch with my ankle, so we've all been couch potato's:rolleyes:

Claire, Murphy used to sleep with us, but we moved them both downstairs after we'd had Misty about 3 weeks. I couldn't cope with her snores she could wake the street she's so loud:lol: We might let her have another night in our bed thoughicon_whistling

misty
20th June 2009, 10:13 AM
I can't believe Misty snores ;).

Next you'll be trying to tell us she belches too - lol :):).

murphy's mum
20th June 2009, 12:58 PM
I can't believe Misty snores ;).

Next you'll be trying to tell us she belches too - lol :):).

Belches? My little Princess, surely not icon_whistling

She's doing excellent this morning b*n*n*

She's been round the field with her Dad, chasing and biting at Murphy just like always:D

Her eyes really look great, they seem more open than before. She looked as though she was squinting quite a lot before, due to the hairs in her eyes I guess. I think she's well on her way to recovery:thmbsup:

Claire L
20th June 2009, 01:14 PM
:rah: That's wonderful news :*nana:

misty
20th June 2009, 05:30 PM
Good girl, Misty :)