View Full Version : How Often does your dog vomit
15th June 2009, 08:52 PM
I know dogs due once in a while from eating grass etc...but how much is to much ..
Rex did once today...hours after he ate..once yesterday..he is up to about 3 times a week...but today it was raining so I know he didnt get anything..and he hasnt ate in a few hours...and he did..
Any ideas or is it just normal.....
15th June 2009, 08:58 PM
None of mine throw up unless they are sick or if they've eaten way too much (like when we go to my dad's house and I forget to pick up the cat food there and they gorge themselves...mainly Winston :rolleyes: ). If this is a normal occurance, maybe a trip to the doctor is in order. How long has he been doing this?
15th June 2009, 09:09 PM
My dog I used to have did it once a week here and there..he just started maybe 3 weeks ago...I seen it when he ate his food so fast he threw that up whole and I think cuz he has been trying to eat grass and mulch....but we stop that as fast as we can..I mean its not alot...1x last week once today the most its been i think 3X in 1 week and in that week he did it twice one day...he is still acting normal eating normal etc....
it was very common in my dachsand...dont know why and the doc wasnt worried one bit...
15th June 2009, 09:50 PM
I can't imagine anyone saying that throwing up is normal. My parents had a cavalier that threw up after he ate. That was because he was too active and didn't have time to digest. So they waited a while until they played with him after he ate. Once in awhile my cavalier Polka will throw up grass. But honestly if it happens any more than once, i am off to the vet or I at least call them. I had a lab once that threw up yellow and she had swollen glands and a sore throat.
I would take Rex to the vet or at least call so they can tell you what to look for. Or help you with the problem if it is nothing.
15th June 2009, 11:08 PM
How much does Rex weigh?
How much food in grams do you give him at each meal?
How many meals does he have, 2 or 3?
15th June 2009, 11:12 PM
Lucky went through a (very) short phase where he was vomiting every morning for 3 days. Just a little liquid. I called the vet about it and asked if I should be concerned. They suggested that the stomach acids and the empty stomach could be causing this and to give a little treat right before bed to see if that helps.
It did ... It's not a problem anymore and I don't always give treats.
Bottom line though - if it worries you, I'd call your vet. It may not even necessitate trip in, but either way, at least then you'd know and your vet could tell you what to look out for and when you should be concerned enough to bring Rex in.
15th June 2009, 11:50 PM
Rex is 10lbs now , he eates twice a day 1/2 cup each time...
my last dog did it alot but it was mainly cuz he ate so fast...rex does do that sometimes he has gotten ahold of a toy and rip the fuzz out a few differ ones so I wonder if it could be that...or he has a bone that he likes (rawhide type) he doesnt really eat it much but he has gotten it a few times but I dont think its that cuz he hardly has eaten any of it...
I might call the vet tomorrow..
16th June 2009, 12:18 AM
I'd call the vet if a dog is vomiting that often. It definitely isn't normal. Have a read of this (written by a vet), which lists the signs for when you should see a vet and is very useful for deciding when something isn't quite right:
On vomiting, it says:
Warning Signs of Serious Disease in Dogs
1. Protracted vomiting and diarrhea
There are at least 63 causes of vomiting in dogs, but the most common cause is simply known as dietary indiscretion. Dogs who get into the trash, eat animal carcasses or drink pond water all can end up with very dicey gastrointestinal tracts.
Other more serious causes of vomiting and diarrhea include diseases of the pancreas, liver or kidney, or other primary intestinal diseases such as a blockage, parasites, cancer, ulcers or inflammation. Your veterinarian may need laboratory tests and X-rays to sort these out.
The first important criteria is to confirm that your dog is drinking water and able to hold it down without vomiting. Then, evaluate your dog's attitude: Is she lethargic, lacking appetite and not interested in her usual activities? This can be a sign of serious underlying disease. Finally, note whether the vomiting and diarrhea appear to be worsening or fail to improve in 24 hours. Without improvement in 24 to 36 hours, it is time for a visit with your veterinarian to rule out serious disease.
On mulch -- if the mulch is cocoa mulch, this can kill a dog. So be very careful of any dog getting into mulch and definitely don't use this type in the garden. :thmbsup:
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.